Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as most of you know I parted out my Accord and am ready to sell it. I have a couple questions though, how much of a trade in value should I expect for a completely stock 06 4 cylinder sedan with 70k miles and a manual transmission?
I know this is just a guesstimate, but i'd like to hear a ball park especially from anyone who recently got dealer offers or recently sold their car.
The car is IMMACULATE with a flawless interior and exterior.

Another question I have is, does a MT increase the value or decrease?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Based on KBB:
if you sell yourself:
Excellent
$11,341
Very Good
$10,966
Good
$10,666
Fair
$9,766

Dealer trade in:
Excellent
$9,506
Very Good
$9,356
Good
$8,881
Fair
$7,831

Based on what I know MT decreases the value of the car since most people look for AT cars. It makes sense since most people don't like stick shift cars it decreases their value and will be harder for you to sell it. Especially since its a Honda family sedan if it was a sports car then that's a different story.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
There are manual lovers out there, and one will surely find you. But 7 out of 10 times, they will look in the window, see the manual shift, and turn and walk away. I wouldn't say it decreases the value, only that it may take a little longer for the right buyer to find you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man, I was quoted only 3k for my 03 i4 auto coupe with 130k miles. Dealershits are Nazis. You're much better off selling it, then using that money towards another car. And I'm sure you'll sell it quick and for the price you want because of the low milage. Trust me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was offered 3500 for my 05 with 140k miles sedan 4cyl auto with a newly recent hole in the bumper from an accident that day.

While not a great offer I would rather sell it myself for more money then go buy the newer car. I wanted a new 9th gen when it came out but the offer just wasn't inline with what I wanted and the car is still useful and fine to me. New bumper and 18000 miles more later I think I will keep mine til 300,000

·
Registered
804 Posts
it.. really depends on the demand for a manual transmission. having a manual transmission alienates a very large part of the dealers demographics. I can drive a manual, I have in the past ..am I looking for one? Absolutely not!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have bought and sold a lot of cars. The dealer will probably offer you 5,500 and tell you some crap like because of the age of the car they will not offer full price even though other cars will be on the lot for top dollar and the same age. they will then ask 8,500 on their lot and settle for 7,800 to the next buyer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
in my area on autotrader with 70,ooo miles dealers are asking on average $11,000. good luck trying to get anywhere close to that on a trade. dealers also like to tell you that even thought your car needs nothing they still put the car through a 150 point inspection. This may be true but in my experience all they do is check the car and never replace anything.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Building on what was just said:
Carmax will offer you $3,000 and either auction it for $5,000 or sell it on the lot for $7,995.

I had to go to Carmax last month for a buddy. As punishment, I decided to test drive a piece of crap Subaru with 2 years on the clock and 30,000 miles on the meter.

The axles were making a distinct noise, the throw out bearing was humming, and the brake fluid was black...not dark brown- it looked like someone put used motor oil in there.

So much for Carmax's inspection. What B.S. Their mechanic replaced the axles the next day, and they called me back for another test drive.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
The only reasons I would trade a car in, rather than sell it privately, is either because the car isn't worth anything either way, or the car is so messed up you can't bring yourself to screw someone over with it. You never get a good deal on a trade-in.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hilarious thing, stealerships are asking 14-15k for 06 accord sedans with more miles than mine.
I'll put it up for sale either CL or cars.com and accept nothing less than 10k.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Again, Hondas hold their value better than any car sold in America. The Carmax by me always loads up on used Accords and Civics in July because they know parents will "want something good" for the kids before they go off to college. The Honda name alone sells it.

I have plenty of friends who would never buy from a private seller because they think places like Carmax tear the car down and rebuild it.

As stated earlier here- your market is narrow- someone who wants a mint Honda with a "row box". Your market is not nearly as big as with an auto trans, but when you get the right buyer- it will sell well.

Many of my cousins are immigrants and are doctors. They used to buy used Accords and Civics only with manual transmissions (because that's what they had back home)....now 2 of them just bought new 9th Gens with autos. But at least every one of the kids (yes, even the girls) know how to row the gears!

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
You might have to come down a little, but you always want to start high.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (don't flame me!) but aren't 7.5 Gen, 4 bangers with manual transmissions the highest fuel economy Accord made from the 1990s until even today?

EDIT: (except for the one with the Continuous Variable Transmission- CVT, and the Hybrid one)

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Another selling point:

Least amount of reported complaints among any Accord made in the last 15 years!
Source: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/

Or, to be positive:
The most trouble-free Accord made in the last 15 years.....

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Accords will always have a place in my heart. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a daily v6 MT one of these days. But then again the wife wants an S5...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts