Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Traded in My Coupe for a BMW

7K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  buratino1117 
#1 ·
Whats up fellow DA members,

I've had a nice journey with my Accord Coupe. It's been all over the world with me. Alaska, Turkey, and now California. Great car, but as time has passed, I realize it's not the car I really want anymore.

Anyhow, I traded my coupe in this weekend for a 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe. I'm extremely satisfied with it. Even with the engine only being a 2.0 liter, the turbo makes this thing feel like there's more underneath the hood. The thing is like a rocket, and this isn't even the 3.0 liter

Here's some pics, enjoy! I still don't have a name for her yet. If you can think of one and want to help me out, feel free haha

This isn't a farewell, just an update. I'll still contribute to the forum, and answer questions that come my way.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: sm1010
#4 ·
Thanks!:devil

I really don't understand BMW's numbering schema as of late. The 3, 5, and 7 are sedans, 2, 4, and 6 are coupes, but there are 4 door 4 and 6 series? Not to mention the 5 door versions of the sedans and the convertible versions of... all of them? I don't even know anymore.

Anyways, it looks great and should be super fun to drive.
Thanks! Yes it can be a bit confusing... The 3 series will no longer have a coupe version. The 4 series will be the new coupe version of the 3 series. Along with that, the 4 series also has 4 door coupe. They call it the Gran Coupe. Same for the 6 series like you said.

I really like that they don't just add 2 more doors and call it a Gran Coupe. They actually distinguish the look between the 4 and 2 door versions. IMO the Gran Coupe looks better than the 2 door. What's really nice though is the 4 door still looks like a coupe and sits pretty low. Here's a pic of me standing next to it at the dealership. I'm 6'1 for reference.

Attachments

#5 ·
now you need a BMW forum.... :)

enjoy the new car. Hope it exceeds your expectations.

#10 ·
Yeah I do! I was thinking about joining Bimmerfest.

Thank you, it's been exceeding them all week long lol.

I recently traded my 2008 accord coupe for a bmw m235i. I've had nothing but accord coupes since graduating college 15 years ago so I thought it was time to try something new. My 2001 and 2008 accords were great though. Each got to almost 100k miles with little more than oil changes and new tires.
Congrats on your Bimmer! How does the power feel? Mine feels amazing. Honda's are good cars though, so I see why you stuck with them. The 8th Gen Coupe was my favorite body style hand downs. Always turned heads, or people would ask what is this thing hehe.

Looks really nice my friend. What is that color called? Reminds me of the Nebula Gray Pearl on the Lexus ES 350. Congrats and enjoy the new BMW!!
Thank you for the compliment. The color is called Mineral Gray Metallic.

That's the plan... I took her out for joyride tonight. Wow oh wow she is just oh so fast and planted to the ground.

How much approx is your monthly payments (lease or finance) after the trade in?
$675 a month. I leased it for 3 years. Don't like to keep cars longer than that, as they start to get boring to me.

Do you find it to be similar to a 328i with more styling and less rear headroom?

Did you also test drive the 328i?
In the 3 series, I only test drove the 335i sedan. I found it to be a bit more comfortable, with more headroom than my Gran Coupe. Although I am 6'1, so that might be part of the reason why.

That being said though, it does comes at a price. The 4 Gran Coupe looks more sleek and mean in comparison to the 335i sedan.

#12 ·
BMW, Mercedes, and Audi have been doing this thing for the past decade where they are trying to sell 4 door coupes. The reasoning, I think, is that the body style looks vaguely like a 2 door car, but when you get up close to the car, you notice it actually has 2 bonus doors.

It still hurts to think about it, though, so just try not to think when you see a 4 door version of a 2 door car.

#20 ·
I try to keep everyone I can out of my car. LOL Coupes are great for that. I've only ever had one sedan, and that was a 2003 Mazda 6s which was much smaller and sportier feeling than the current Mazda 6 is. I loved that car, but I did end up with passengers a lot more than I have with owning a coupe.

I grew up with a BMW enthusiast father, so I learned to drive in one.... I've always appreciated the way they handle. I just don't want to pay that much for one.

#21 ·
Def can agree with you on that. No one rode in the back of my coupe either. I'm going to try and keep it that way with this car as well.

As far as driving, yes you're right! It just feels so planted to the ground. When I drove my friends 1 series some months back... the feeling of being connected with the road felt amazing. Will never forget it, and that's why I own a BMW now.

#22 ·
Thinking about a 320i. Can you offer your opinion on FWD vs RWD?

I can read write ups or debates on what's better. But I want to hear your real world example of living with it day to day coming from a FWD car. I don't race in the canyons, so it's day to day city for me.

Or the best way to sum it up is, "no difference?"

The best answer is...to test drive it myself. However, I want to read what others said, and then test drive it, so I can see if those points (if any) really matter to me.

#23 · (Edited)
Like you said, you need to test drive one ASAP. There are so many things going through my head right now. How can I explain it... I honestly don't know, I can just do things I couldn't do in my Accord Coupe. When I drove my friends 1 series back January that's what made me realize what I was missing out on having a FWD setup car.

This weekend I came to a round about and was feeling a little spirited... of course no cars or pedestrians were around and it was in the country. I put the car in sport plus (just got the car up to the 1200 mile break in period), took the round about and gave it some gas... wow the rear end just came out just a bit, then aggressively took the exit out the round about and I wasn't even pushing it. BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!

In the city... I don't really feel it, unless I push the car. In all seriousness though, all I can say is test drive, test drive, test drive. If you can too, test drive a BMW with an inline 6 as well.

#25 ·
^^^
THIS. I own a 3 and it is expensive to maintain. Everything requires a special tool. You even need a jack pad adapter or you mangle the plastic, yes plastic jack point/tab. If you want to keep it, keep it until 50000 miles or 5 years once the paid-in maintenance expires that's it. It is NOT FREE maintenance despite what BMW advertises it as. You pay into that maintenance when you buy the car. They start having problems after that. You can always pay in another $2000 plus to maintain it for the next 50000 miles. German cars are a pain in the butt and huge dent in the wallet once they age in general. If money isn't a subject for you, then ignore me here. I drive my Honda way more than the BMW. And look out for electrical issues, Germans don't know how to ground cars. The dash lights up like a Christmas tree when you change the battery, and you require a special cable and program to reset things. That's why Japanese electronics are the best in the world.

#26 ·
Let me ask this since some of you here have real ownership experiences.

I been hearing this for 20+ years about the electronics in German (European) cars.

From a newbie here, and I know it's true, but why haven't they (Benz, BMW, VW, etc, etc) dealt with this issue? And is it really "German" or "European" cars?" Consider where cars are made, built, design, source parts, shouldn't all cars be "the same?"

Just guessing using an example. If Honda comes from Alabama, and BMW comes from South Carolina, chances are they are using the same parts and parts supplier, no?

Or we can choose Mexico. All the plants are in the same area, so same suppliers. Quality and labor skills should be the same.

#31 ·
From a newbie here, and I know it's true, but why haven't they (Benz, BMW, VW, etc, etc) dealt with this issue? And is it really "German" or "European" cars?" Consider where cars are made, built, design, source parts, shouldn't all cars be "the same?"
No idea. But, what was the last time you saw a Benz with an extra bright bulb or even LED lit up in the rear for no reason? Yep, I saw a brand new Benz yesterday with this happening. The Germans believe in electric everything instead of mechanically powered pumps. I've changed batteries in 3 series, there is a whole power distribution panel using a very large H8 battery. It is extremely power hungry and if you don't drive it regularly, the car dies HARD. The e92/e93 3 series had a serious issue with their high flow fuel pump (HPFP) that's well documented. BMW tried to fix it by updating the pumps but was unable to. Electronic issues pop up sometimes for no reason. Also look up oil burning issue in Audi, it is wide spread, and the Germans note it as "normal". 1 qt. burns every 1000 miles. I have 205000 miles on my 7th gen Accord V6 that barely burns any between 7500 mile oil changes.

They are fancy nice cars that drive well, but they are over built in my opinion. The Japanese keep it simple and basic which makes their cars reliable.

#27 ·
"the germans figured out it's more profitable to build shiny and expensive but disposable cars than a cheap car that lasts forever"

Suppliers will give the integrator whatever they think they can get away with. Final quality is the integrator's job, not the supplier.

#30 ·
I second all the comments regarding the German vehicles. Both my MB and BMW were a dream to own up until that warranty ran out. After that it was like a bottomless pit of very expensive parts (OEM or otherwise). I think the warranty period may have been 3/36 back then. Plan to keep my current vehicles as long as possible.

#33 ·
im sorry but its not even a 435i. dont get mad when you get smoked by a v6 accord... if i were you i would of got a 2016 exl v6 that thing is insane the looks are amazing and for less than a 428 and faster thats for sure.. id give you kudos if it was a 435 with the m package..but hey whatever floats your boat... peace

#34 ·
im sorry but its not even a 435i. dont get mad when you get smoked by a v6 accord... if i were you i would of got a 2016 exl v6 that thing is insane the looks are amazing and for less than a 428 and faster thats for sure.. id give you kudos if it was a 435 with the m package..but hey whatever floats your boat... peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqpoV2hIrU
Funny you mention that... Base my engine puts out 240HP and 255 pounds of tq. That already is matching most of these naturally aspirated V6 engines... And let's not forget Honda reports crank HP not wheel HP. My car will be off the line faster and once the Accord finally catches up, won't really matter anymore.

Btw the stage 1 tune I'm getting next week, matches the 435i performance. Very close to 300hp and 327tq from 2.0L engine. That's well over the infiniti Q60 power. That only puts out 270wtq at 5200RPM for reference. I don't even race cars that pull beside me and try and take off lol. Not worth it, I'll win majority of the time in stock mode. Imagine what will happen after my tune next week.

Price wise you are correct. I already had a fully loaded accord coupe 2012. BMW is miles ahead in terms of fit and finish and just an overall driving experience. Honda wins with the maintenance, and that's why I chose to lease instead of buy, and am totally fine with that. My next one will be a 435i for sure though.

Here's the link to that tune for reference. Rather save money and get this than to pay the $5K difference for the 435i. http://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...w-f22-228i-f30-f34-328i-f32-f33-f36-428i-n26/

#36 ·
Very true! I am into the styling as well. The first time I seen the 4 series, I fell in love. Anyhow I just felt like he/she was bashing me for not having a 435i and then tries to compare it to a Honda Accord. Like there not even in the same class or category at all. Then on top of that, no research or facts were provided to justify his or her response.

I'm not here to start any trouble. Just wanted to share my purchase with you guys. All I'm hearing is maintenance, reliability problems, and how a 2016 Honda Accord might be able to beat my car lol?? I value the criticism and am open to everyone's opinions don't get me wrong. It's just I knew what I was getting when I got the car... Hence why I leased it. I do appreciate all the people who congratulated me on my purchase though.

#43 ·
The BMW is gorgeous - congrats!

Most of us here love our Honda's - for lots of good reasons......but they are manufactured to a different standard, and marketed to the masses that choose typically between the Accord, an Altima or a Camry. The Honda is not a BMW, period.

Enjoy that 428! Very nice!

#44 ·
Thank you very much Mitch! That's all I'm trying to get him to understand... It's so much more than being able to pull on someone. It's about how it drives. The fit and finish... All the little extras you get. Too much to name. And as I said earlier and you just did now. They're not even in the same category period. Even if it was a base 428i, which it's not, they still wouldn't be in the same category. Thanks again!

#48 ·
So true... Oh well if you don't have haters, you're doing something wrong.

No question the Accord V6 is faster. According to C&D, the 9th-gen 6-6 pulls a 14.0 qtr @ 103 mph. The V6-6AT Accord pulls a 14.1@101mph and the BMW 428 pulls a 14.1 @ 99 mph. The V6 Accord is quicker but not by a huge margin, especially the 6AT. But to evaluate a BMW solely by its qtr-mile time and ignore all that other wonderful engineering and road feel is totally unfair to the BMW. If cars were all about price and power, the $34,000 Mustang GT with its 13.0 qtr@ 113 mph would be the #1 car on the road. Clearly there is more to a car than just power.
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

alright bro keep thinkin that 428 is hot shit loll just cause its a 40k base bimmmer doesnt make it better .. how it drives? you make it seem like its a M series LOL.. if you wanna talk about luxury that bimmer interior is outdated been lookin the same since forever LOL and that leather is the same or even better in the accord unless you got the upgrade which i doubt..

hate on what???? a 428 never .. no one will show you love.. should got the m4 bro or the 435 but its obvious you cant afford it..

yeah i know bro excuse my grammar i didnt finish school.... LOLL but if anything i doing better then you financially.

yeah i cant go head to head with a 435 cause ill get smoked.. but that 428 aint doing nothing yea it has low end torque but that about it and lets not talk about that turbo lagg..i didn say get a 435 with all the packagess atleast the m package.. why would you wanna over pay for all the extrass just like you did on that base 428.. get your shit straight and no one is hating. its a 428 no matter what package you have its a 428 understand that.. people with money will show you no love.. wait till a 435 pulls up next to you fully loaded you gonna wanna take that shit back LOL. you said every option on the 428 i can clearly see you dont even have the m package.. which is the nicest.. you know what you leased the dam thing so that means you cant even afford to finance one... im out.. you aint flossin like i said... have a good one ..
You're obviously not comprehending what I'm saying. You're points lack justification, and don't make any sense. I can't see how you think a Honda Accord competes with a 4 series. Sure you might be able to outrun me in a straight line race, but it's more to it than just speed alone. It's how the car drives, the near 50/50 weight balance ratio. The rear wheel drive. Everything that makes it a BMW, is what I'm trying to get at here.

A base unloaded 4 series starts off more than a fully loaded Accord. That's because it's in a different class of vehicle, it's in a luxury sport class. Which competes with such cars as the Lexus RC, Infiniti Q60, etc... A Honda Accord does not even rank in the same class, it's competes with the Camry, Altima, and cars of that class. A base 4 series is better than an Accord period. If I wanted speed, I could have easily got a Challenger or something of that nature. But I chose the BMW, because it's about the driving experience it provides, not just speed alone, as I said earlier.

Maybe you are doing better than me financially, and if you are, kudo's to you. You come here bashing me for driving a 428i. Who cares, I came here to share my purchase. Then when I call you out on it. You tell me it's because, I'm bragging trying to stunt in base BMW. You literally are a hater. No where in my post did I brag. I only began to say it's a fully loaded 428i after you claimed my car is the base model.

A Honda Accord is not in the same class a BMW 4 series. I don't care if you can pull on me stock for stock. If your going to call me out for being in a base 4 series BMW. Then do one better and get out of your Accord and go get a 435. Until then hush up and drive your FWD V6. And as I have stated earlier, I leased it because I don't keep cars longer than 3 years. Why spend more money than you have to? To "floss" as you say? No I'll pass. I'm done debating this with you. Have a good day sir.

Btw BrokeAF951 there is no turbo lag. Power comes on at 1250rpm's. Do some research man before you come up with these ridiculous facts and statements. This information is literally on the BMW website too.

#49 ·
Jay, please post more pics when you can. Your new 4 series is beautiful. And it's so much more than just a quarter mile time.

Did I miss it in the thread - is 'broke' somehow paying some portion of your lease payment, and somehow feels entitled to comment on YOUR decision?

Congrats again! If you ever have a hankering to drive another v6 accord, just let me know.

#50 ·
LOL!! Thanks Mitch! Here's some pics enjoy! There's a towel on the seat because I don't want my seats dirty after my workouts in the gym.

Attachments

#51 ·
More pics, enjoy!

Attachments

#52 ·
Picture of the HUD... It shows more info on the HUD, if you're browsing through your music or have navigation active.
Vehicle Car Road Mode of transport Lane

#53 ·
I traded an 08 BMW 328 (70k) for a 2012 Accord LX 5 speed (37k)...While the ride does not compare between the two, I really enjoy the Accord way more than the BMW for a few reasons: better gas mileage, cheaper gasoline (even I like to use ethanol free gas on the Accord as well) cheaper insurance and ...the worry free long distance drives. The BMW was a nice car but had little things go wrong with it from time to time. I congratulate the OP for making the Honda/BMW swap. The 4 series is an awesome car and...if you can afford it why not? Leasing is a great way to do it...It costs nothing to have the car because the maintenance is included and the warranty is in effect....That to me translate to worry free BMW driving fun. If I had a place to work on my 328 I would kept it, but...that was not my current situation.

#55 ·
I traded an 08 BMW 328 (70k) for a 2012 Accord LX 5 speed (37k)...While the ride does not compare between the two, I really enjoy the Accord way more than the BMW for a few reasons: better gas mileage, cheaper gasoline (even I like to use ethanol free gas on the Accord as well) cheaper insurance and ...the worry free long distance drives.

Lease is a great way to drive an expensive car for less money,
Funny. I'm with you on this, but seems you don’t really enjoy the Accord more. It seems you enjoy the lower costs associated with owning an Accord more. Very valid points but two different things.

And why do people say that leasing is cheaper? That is NOT true. Leasing a car for two-years or buying a car and trading it in after two years costs about the same (sometimes more, sometimes less.) A buyer should focus on total cost, not the payment. Both strategies force the buyer to eat the SAME amount of depreciation. Leasing does not let you drive the car for less money. The lease packaging just hides the cost better. The difference lies in cash flow timing. If you ever crunched the numbers you'd find the total costs of leasing or buying are almost identical.

#54 ·
That 4 series is a really nice car...Sport package is sweet as well. again, there is no comparison in the ride between the cars...It really depends what you really need and what you want. My BMW 328 purchase was a fun hoping decision that I do not regret. I also was driving the BMW more agressively due to power difference. Would I do it again? Probably not...I like the Accord and its advantages that provide...I had hard time getting rid of a nicely equipped 6 speed manual BMW with only 70k for $13k (and did trade it for $11k). I would say that Hondas are way easier to sell compared to the german cars. Lease is a great way to drive an expensive car for less money, but it can be stingy at the turn in time if you are over the mileage or you have extra wear and tear. Honda is very good with those issues but BMW will make you pay for tires if worn (run flats are $$$) and charge you for small dents if there at turn time. Also, there is a disposition fee ($300 if I remember that) at the end of the term unless you buy or lease another one. Leased and bought both brands in the past and I am aware of the differences...That being said, OP, enjoy the ride and have fun with it. After all, life is too short NOT to enjoy it!

#56 ·
Thanks! Yep I've heard about that. That's why I got the lease wear and tear insurance included in my monthly payment. It covers $5K in excessive wear and tear, which would include tires, if I were to need a new set.

Hondas are really great cars, but I didn't enjoy driving them as much as the BMW. The only thing I had to do on my coupe was, resurface the rotors, and do the scheduled oil changes. It was great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.