Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have titled that, "Seriously Considering Trading In & Trading Up." The fact is, Honda is advertising a big promotion right now and I'm feeling drawn in. I was driving by the dealership shortly after seeing the commercial and since I had some time to kill, I U-turned and pulled in.

I'm seriously considering getting the 3-year newer version of my current Accord EX-L, V6 in BBP with the only changes being an automatic transmission, factory nav and a lower monthly butt-raping. After leaving the dealership, I also thought to option in a USB iPod interface as well.

I've got the salesperson (I could actually see several of them drooling at mine as I pulled onto the lot) on the hunt for the right car. I may need to develop an appreciation for the "bump out" on the taillights. Is there anything else I should remain aware of on the newest edition?

- T

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Thats not really a trade-up. You are still getting an accord. Trading up is buying premium name brand, like Acura, Infiniti or Lexus.

But Enjoy!

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
lower payment is good, but how much longer is the aditional payment period? factor that in before changing cars...

also, a totally paid car is cheaper in the long run the longer you have it... ie, keeping a car forever is still cheaper than buying/leasing new cars every few years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep what you have and think about trading when the next generation comes out.
Thats not really a trade-up. You are still getting an accord. Trading up is buying premium name brand, like Acura, Infiniti or Lexus.

But Enjoy!
Looked at and test-driven all of those. In the past 12 months, I've also looked at and driven Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Decided against each for different reasons

He is trading up his car payments and erasing what he has already paid on what he has. :dunno:
lower payment is good, but how much longer is the aditional payment period? factor that in before changing cars...

also, a totally paid car is cheaper in the long run the longer you have it... ie, keeping a car forever is still cheaper than buying/leasing new cars every few years.
Cars a bad investments unless they are older collectable ones. Keep the car and wait.
Good points all, but the decision as to whether (or not) to make the purchase is a private matter. I appreciate your input, but I was a bit more interested in how the newer Accord differs from the original 8th gen.

I really do love you all, but I have a financial advisor who gives much better benefits.

- T

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well the new one looks better imo, except the reflector. but the body looks a bit sleeker as well as having a different grille..

·
Registered
460 Posts
My humble two cents, depending on why you are looking to upgrade, there are some merits to the 2011, or waiting to the 2013 model. As to the decision to purchase or not, that is your call and obviously your financial situation and strategy are your business.

If you are simply looking for the features you mentioned, then now may be the time to make the move.

However, if you really are looking for something "different" then your current Accord, it may be in your best interest to continue to hold on and wait for the 9th Gen to hit the road. A 2011 is going to come with some different goodies, but overall is basicially the same car you have right now in terms of ride, performance etc.

If I were you, I would just sit down and really ponder what you are looking to get out of the upgrade, some new goodies or a completely different experience, and then base your decision from there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the new one looks better imo, except the reflector. but the body looks a bit sleeker as well as having a different grille..
Reflector? I may have missed that one. All I actually noticed during the side-by-side was the taillights. . . or is that what you are pointing out?

{snip}

If you are simply looking for the features you mentioned, then now may be the time to make the move.
After weighing a variety of factors, now is definitely the time to make the move.

However, if you really are looking for something "different" then your current Accord, it may be in your best interest to continue to hold on and wait for the 9th Gen to hit the road.
I may consider a 9th Gen sometime in the future, but definitely not in the 1st year of the run. I've done that once, (8th Gen) so I know how it feels. As far as the car itself, I really love it and have no problem staying with the body style for another three years. Hell, I'd have driven this one 'til it's scrappable, but I have my reasons (many) for needing a new options/finance package.

A 2011 is going to come with some different goodies, but overall is basicially the same car you have right now in terms of ride, performance etc.

If I were you, I would just sit down and really ponder what you are looking to get out of the upgrade, some new goodies or a completely different experience, and then base your decision from there.
The new options/finance package remains at the top of my list, no matter which vehicle I'd have decided upon. I actually do love the 8th Gen Accord and that affection is the factor to beat. That's why all the other models I looked at in the past year are running a length behind in the "Tito's New Car Derby."

Lots of them have similar buttons and gadgets in different locations and I've already weighed my personal pros and cons. One major "pro" is that I'm already part of a community that shares a great deal of knowledge on the brand and model. I can be a bit set in my ways and wasn't looking forward to learning a new brand just yet.

At this point, the race is up to the dealership to lose.

- T

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
It's your money, spend it the way YOU see it fit.

Having said that, the 2011 model comes with built in USB interface, paddle shifters, passenger power seat (memory?) in the interior and new rims, grill, front bumper, and tailight in the exterior. Other than that, I think the mechanicals are the same as 08-10.

As for me, the minor difference is not worth the "change/upgrade". It sounds like your main motivation is finance related.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have you considered a leftover 2010 TSX tech? My mom just bought one for just under $28K. Not a whole lot different than the Accord, but definitley some nice feature upgrades... Xenon lights, bluetooth audio, higher-quality leather, and just overall a step higher in quality than my accord. Although its only a 4 Cyl... but its got some good pep

·
Registered
34 Posts
The changes are subtle but noticeable. I have a 2011 ex-l I4. If the dealer is making you an offer that makes sense to you, you for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts