Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
pro common sense!
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious. am i the only one who actually LIKES having a stick in traffic? i feel really weird saying that, but i actually enjoy it more than an auto! not sold on stop and go traffic in snow, but i like it in traffic otherwise! i drive mine everyday in rush hour traffic in pittsburgh. i've even grown to love hills in traffic! :lmao:

i think it's because it gives me something to do other than get road rage and be ticked at the traffic! :nuts:

who knows! :biggrin:

Reactions: BenzAccord

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Ah, but you're still a youngen.....later it won't be as fun! :lmao:

Reactions: kerrydeare

·
pro common sense!
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for now, i can't imagine going back to an automatic! :lmao: last time i had to deal with one of those, well, i was lucky i didn't fall asleep behind the wheel! :nuts:

ps~princess did you ever think you'd hear me saying that not only do i love driving my stick, but i love it in TRAFFIC??? hehe!!!

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
princess said:
Ah, but you're still a youngen.....later it won't be as fun! :lmao:
I ain't no youngen and I STILL enjoy the stick shift!! No manaul transmission, no sale!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Anysia:

___If the 5-speed stick would have come in PZEV format, I would have purchased one. They are worth 2 – 4 mpg more when stuck in heavy traffic vs. the Auto :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
God knows that excel would have gone for the manual trainnie if available! :yes: :yes: :naughty:

Just messin' with you Wayne.

·
Registered
23 Posts
RTexasF said:
I ain't no youngen and I STILL enjoy the stick shift!! No manaul transmission, no sale!
What he said!! We can't all be crazy, or can we? Even the Pickup has a 5 Speed. Had to compromise on the Odyssey though.

·
look ma, no hands for 15s
1,744 Posts
lol dont try driving the 6spd in traffic, its very finicky. the 5spd is a diff story altogether. the 6spd stalls all the time, it hates traffic. has to do with the very very narrow clutch engagement point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will admit it took a little getting used to but I don't have any trouble any more. It was not so much the Clutch as the drive-by-wire throttle that gave me the trouble at first. I got pretty smooth, after a couple of weeks even when starting off on an upgrade.

·
pro common sense!
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 6spd must be almost like re-learning to drive a stick! :lmao: i remember the "good ol'" days of stalling repeatedly in traffic and peeling lots of tire in my 5spd..... :banana:

·
look ma, no hands for 15s
1,744 Posts
Fredric said:
I will admit it took a little getting used to but I don't have any trouble any more. It was not so much the Clutch as the drive-by-wire throttle that gave me the trouble at first. I got pretty smooth, after a couple of weeks even when starting off on an upgrade.
i dont like the clutch engagement point being midway in the clutch play, i wish i could somehow adjust the clutch for it to bite closer to the firewall.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I drove a stick car from 1980 - 2000 until I purchased my JEEP. I loved going back to a stick. The hydraulic clutch on the Accord is so effortlessness compared to say driving a Mustang GT or Cobra in traffic. Now that I couldn’t or wouldn’t do anymore! The K24 2.4L 5-speed will easily lug down in traffic and pull cleanly from about 1200Rpm. This is the perfect drive-train for my daily commute.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The Honda engines are all very very nice drives at low RPM's, they just need more power! I always make mine pull from low RPMs...first/second gear often are fully engaged at 500RPM for me, and I make it climb up some of the lesser hills in 4th/5th at 1200-1500RPM and accelerate :D

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
4,723 Posts
I miss being able to just let the car roll down the hill. And I miss being able to have full control of the transmission. :( Automatics, no matter how good they are, are still too dumb to know what gear you want to be in. I tend to shift smoother in a manual than the auto in traffic. The only time I'm not able to shift smoother than an auto is when I'm accelerating hard. :yes: But to answer your question, Anysia, I do enjoy driving a manual more. Not just in traffic, but all the time. :thmsup:

·
pro common sense!
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i used to try to drive my automatics as if they were manuals... steep hill? lower the gear. i was also guilty of putting it in neutral at times.

and gunning it, which results in rough shifts. :lmao:

love the mt cause i'm supposed to shift it! ;) and well, normally my shifts are fairly smooth, but i'm also my own biggest critic... :paranoid: sometimes i think i might be thinking i'm shifting rough when i'm not really....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
My shifts are really rough. I sit all the way back because I'm taller so I can see whoever is in the front seat, and they ALWAYS fly forward when I shift, especially when the AC is on. It's annoying because it catches the corner of my eye and it's distracting.

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
4,723 Posts
A technique I've learned that'll ensure smooth shifts, is to accelerate to the speed you want to shift, lift the gas a bit so it'll stop accelerating so hard (but not so much as to induce engine drag), THEN push the clutch in to shift. As you push the clutch in, start shifting to the next gear and simultaneously give it a bit more gas and release the clutch before the engine rpm drops below the rpm for the next gear...

You only shift rough if you're still accelerating when you push the clutch in or you release the clutch too fast.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts