Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent owner of a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT. I am interested in getting a trailer/tow hitch so I can use a bike rack for transporting bikes. I previously used a trunk mounted bike rack on my last car. I don't want to use one of those anymore on my new car. I use mainly a road bike, but sometimes a mountain bike.

I've read about Curt, Draw-Tite and U-Haul trailer hitches. I prefer to get one that is not very visible. I have seen a couple topics from last year discussing trailer hitches. Maybe there is an update since then of more people adding them. I'm wanting to see what options there are, experiences people have had with them, and any recommendations. If you have any pictures of yours installed, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A friend of mine bought a hitch at U-Haul a few years ago. He's been extremely happy.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,676 Posts
I've always been a fan of roof carriers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Etrailer.com is the place to go.

I’m picking up my car this week and will be using them, got one for my last car with them.

My only issue is I want a 2” hitch so o can do a!4 bike Kuat rack and they only make 11/4 for the accord...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont know of any hitches that offer 2" hitch.

That being said, I am an avid cyclist and did install a hitch to the car. There are two main types of hitches that you'll find. Ones that require drilling and ones that don't.

The only trailer hitch for the 2018 accord that does not require drilling that I've been able to find is the Draw-Tite 24972 Frame Hitch.

It bolts onto the preexisting bolts that the rear crash/crumple guard bolts onto.
What's nice about this hitch it that it is flush with the rear bumper and will not void your warrenty.

If you opt for a hitch that requires drilling into the chassis then that will void your bumper to bumper warrenty.

One issue came up, however I suspect this is an issue in any hitch available.
One thing that came up with this hitch after I installed it was the rear bumper's bottom part hit the part of the hitch that comes down. The instruction on the hitch requires a small 2" cut out. The cutout is not visible at all and allows for the plastic fasteners on the bottom of the car to clip in. Alternatively you can not make the cutout, however two plastic fasteners won't be able to clip in, which can be remedied by using something like a zip tie to hold that part of the bumper through the plastic fastener holes.

Here are some photos of the install process, what it looks like, as well as that 2" cut out i'm talking about:
http://imgur.com/gallery/cUoLaEd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^Thanks for the info. I've looked at the Curt and the Draw-Tite trailer hitch before. I like that Draw-Tite hitch requires no drilling; only a small cutout on the bottom of the bumper. I also like that it attaches to the main inner bumper and that the cross bar is hidden. The Curt hitch requires some drilling under the car and the cross bar is visible on the outside. Most likely going to choose the Draw-Tite, but still looking at other options.

Here is a video showing both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLNgNGiyVI

Anyone else have any pictures they can share with their trailer hitch installed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you opt for a hitch that requires drilling into the chassis then that will void your bumper to bumper warrenty.

That’s only half true. It will void any warranty claims DIRECTLY related to the drilling of holes. However, drilling holes to fit a hitch does not completely void your bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
431 Posts
^^Thanks for the info. I've looked at the Curt and the Draw-Tite trailer hitch before. I like that Draw-Tite hitch requires no drilling; only a small cutout on the bottom of the bumper. I also like that it attaches to the main inner bumper and that the cross bar is hidden. The Curt hitch requires some drilling under the car and the cross bar is visible on the outside. Most likely going to choose the Draw-Tite, but still looking at other options.

Here is a video showing both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLNgNGiyVI

Anyone else have any pictures they can share with their trailer hitch installed?
The Draw-Tite is the least visible one. I went with the Curt on mine simply due to price. I don't believe 2" is offered on any of the Accord hitches, but you could always just get an adapter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts