Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 Honda Accord EX 4cyl and for the past year I have had the code P0740 but it has never caused any issues. Recently I have slowly had some issues with my reverse, mainly on inclines, when I go into reverse it will move a couple of feet and then act like it is in neutral until I shift to another gear and then go back to reverse and then its fine and will reverse with no issue. I took it to have a diagnostics done and they are saying it will cost around 2k for a tranny overhaul. The only thing they really mentioned was the torque converter being replaced. I am sure most of the 2k is in labor costs as they said it would take 3-4 days to be complete. When I looked up the code it said it could either be the Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid or the wiring harness is loose or damaged. Has anyone else had any experience with this code or issue?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Torque converter, had the same code on a '03 5 series BMW. Didn't cost $2K though, shop around.

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
from what i have experenced with my CG2 after just starting it, is that when i shift it into reverse there is a small delay before the gear is engaged, maybe the "delay" is the neutral effect ur taking about?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
The P0740 code is detected when TCM detects an improper voltage drop when it tries to operate the solenoid valve. The Solenoid is what engages the lock up clutch on the torque converter. The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.

Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.

So most likely you have a bad solenoid, but I would first look at the condition of the fluid, if it is not red or pink but brown or black you have waited too long to change the fluid. Most likely the screen to the lockup solenoid is clogged and the filters on the inside of the transmission are clogged with friction material so it will need a rebuilt.

FYI a rebuild kit is about $200 so there is a lot of labor involved.

Baxa Maxa Master Rebuild Kit Honda Accord Automatic Transmission F23A 98 02 4CYL | eBay

I would get several quotes, as this transmission is a popular one and you can probably do better than 2k

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am definitely planning on shopping around more before I just fork out 2k, just because I know how some shops can be. Normally I fix things myself on my cars but haven't had to mess with the transmissions too much on them so I am trying to do my research on this beforehand. I was talking to someone over the weekend and they mentioned trying to just replace the solenoids and seeing if that would take care of the problem. I last checked the fluid when the light first came on last fall and it was still red in color and clean looking. I will check again tonight and let you know what it looks like though.

And there isn't really a "delay" because it doesn't eventually slip into gear unless i shift out of reverse into another gear and then shift back again and then it is fine and acts like nothing happened.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
The reverse issue sounds like a sticky reverse clutch pressure control valve. You could try a product like Trans-x or Lubegard and see if that helps. This sounds like clutch material clogging up the transmission to me but the fluid condition will tell the story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I checked the fluid this evening and it was still a reddish color and did not smell burnt or anything and was clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just to give an update, during the holiday weekend I replaced the Transmission Lock Up solenoid on the tranny since thankfully it was right up front where I could get to it easily. So far so good from when I have been driving it. Fingers crossed that it solves the problem :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts