Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My tranny is out for the common 3rd gear problem and something went wrong so they ordered a complete new tranny. Should I do the clutch (disc and plate) as well as the flywheel??? I was quoted 410 for clutch parts and 972 for the flywheel. Car has 90 000 on it. thx

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I would do the clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing, to save labor down the road. I would inspect the flywheel, for damage and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If its not too bad just have it resurface... or get a light weight flywheel and a performance clutch too since your in there

·
Registered
24 Posts
if its a daily driver dont do a lite FW. they **** in stop and go traffic. the heavier FW is for smooth shifting. i would get a higher pressure plate and a clutch disc with kevlar pads. just save the headache and get the FW resurfaced. a LWFW is only good for race tracks. the amount of money to gain ratio isnt worth it. unless you race then hell have at it

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Can we get some pics? Probably uncommon to see the guts of the tranny from our cars.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,625 Posts
as everyone else suggested, replace/resurface everything that may be needed down the road, now. it'll save in labor costs down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Just got a call and they say this model can't have the flywheel machined. Is this true????

·
BringTheIntegraBack
256 Posts
Can't answer the can't-be-machined question but I can say that in almost a million miles of driving MT Hondas, I've had a clutch replaced just once. These things go forever if you don't deliberately thrash them. (And I drive on the streets of San Francisco; the hills are torture on clutches.)

And the one time I replaced a clutch (on my Integra after about 400K miles), I found the resurfaced flywheel returned with such a horrible grabbiness to it that I just could not cope. My dealer reopened the tranny and replaced the flywheel; I just paid for the part. Maybe a much-used flywheel does not handle resurfacing well; the hot spots on it made it nasty.

With only 90K on your car, I submit that your tranny is just broken in! No need to do preemptive work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts