Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a previous journeyman V W Mechanic Factory Trained in Engine re-building , I wanted to wade in on the Genuine Honda Oil Myth , Yes I say Myth as about everywhere i read Honda id it Magic elixir for our trannys,
I say B.S. anywhere you read synthetic oils are far superior to dino oil , it does not break down under temp like dino oil does , its a fact Period , educate yourself, the different auto manufacturers have listed oils for there engines & transmissions based upon what there engineers find is optimum for the long life of the the vehicle in the engine they specify API [ American Petroleum Institute Certified 2W-20 note they do not say Pennzoil, Honda, or Valvoline etc. as long as it meets APIC certification its good to go & will not void your warranty , Synthetic Oil may be used as long as it meet the same requirements.
Recommendation for ATF is to only use the Magic Honda fluid , altho Dexron can be use if it is not available.
once again synthetic ATF is superior in lubricating, cooling, viscosity under higher heat & load.
case in point I replaced the filter on my trans. & both switches # 28600-RKE-004 & # 28610-RKE-004 as per talk here on net to preserve / prolong your tranny . my transmission continues to shift positive, and consitantly both up & down I replaced the Honda ATF with Redline D4 fully synthetic ,
in checking with local transmission shops , warranty run as follows, 24 months 24000 mi which ever comes first. another 24 months unlimited miles which ever comes first, both use Honda Oil as Replacement , and yet another 36 months 100,000 miles they use Redline D4 Full Synthetic. i will also be putting a larger remote oil filter on my trans along with an oil cooler .
the car has 95,000 original miles [ my sisters car ] and the trans was rebuilt apx. 45,000 miles ago by Aamco
I know i would never take my car there altho they seem to have done a decent job looking at the invoice as what they replaced.
steve

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
do you have 4cyl or V6?

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
416 Posts
Redline D4 tends to cause faster wear on the transmission. Valvoline maxlife seems to be the best synthetic fluid for honda transmissions (and much cheaper too).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Redline D4 tends to cause faster wear on the transmission. Valvoline maxlife seems to be the best synthetic fluid for honda transmissions (and much cheaper too).
I have no experience with D4. I do know that Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF with provide a firmer shift lessening the wear on the clutch plate.
274k miles on my 2012 V6 Crosstour and have never had a single transmission issue. Switched to VML at 101k.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,240 Posts
Good to know about Valvoline trans fluid. Been using their synthetic engine oil happily for 107,000 miles.

Reactions: NailGrease

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
Redline D4 was tried a long time ago on the TL forum (tl.acurazine.com) on 3rd gen Acura TLs which use nearly identical transmission as the 7th gen Accord. Running pure Redline D4 will cause the transmission to flare in between shifts, so guys started mixing D4 with DW-1 to get the right mixture of friction modifier to avoid the flare. By "flare", I mean, transmission hunts for the next gear before shifting, causing the RPM to bounce up a few hundred RPMs before the OEM clutch packs grab. Some actually ran on pure D4 and caused the transmission to fail, then claimed warranty with Acura in unethical ways to get their cars moving again. There is a long discussion on that forum for this subject.

So do not use Redline D4. It's not a myth, it's been tried. Use Valvoline Maxlife if you don't want to use Honda DW-1 or you think it eats into your pocket too much. I've used Maxlife myself without any issues.

Also, use a large external remote transmission filter will cause fluid pressure drop. Frequent fluid change means you don't need to change that trans filter as much.

Do install a transmission cooler.

Just because you were a VW mechanic, doesn't mean you know Honda fully.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you have 4cyl or V6?
V6

Redline D4 was tried a long time ago on the TL forum (tl.acurazine.com) on 3rd gen Acura TLs which use nearly identical transmission as the 7th gen Accord. Running pure Redline D4 will cause the transmission to flare in between shifts, so guys started mixing D4 with DW-1 to get the right mixture of friction modifier to avoid the flare. By "flare", I mean, transmission hunts for the next gear before shifting, causing the RPM to bounce up a few hundred RPMs before the OEM clutch packs grab. Some actually ran on pure D4 and caused the transmission to fail, then claimed warranty with Acura in unethical ways to get their cars moving again. There is a long discussion on that forum for this subject.

So do not use Redline D4. It's not a myth, it's been tried. Use Valvoline Maxlife if you don't want to use Honda DW-1 or you think it eats into your pocket too much. I've used Maxlife myself without any issues.

Also, use a large external remote transmission filter will cause fluid pressure drop. Frequent fluid change means you don't need to change that trans filter as much.

Do install a transmission cooler.

Just because you were a VW mechanic, doesn't mean you know Honda fully.
never said i fully know Hondas, however i do believe in synthetics over dino oils as synthetic oil have been proven to maintain viscosity & lubricity over dino oils which Honda oil is. an oil cooler is just that lower the operating temperature of a given fluid, and in the case of Honda the oil breaks down due to heat and after that its not providing the protection it was intended to , perhaps in northern parts of the US its ok however id bet on the outcome running in say, Ariz, Texas, Nevada, So. Calif. kinda like the VW in that respect. the upper filter is way too small by mounting a remote oil filter would promote longer change intervals an removal of more / finer particles , and yes you must take into consideration of restrictions such as long runs in routing lines and reducing line ,fitting, or pipe sizing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Honda coolant/antifreeze, Honda transmission fluid or Honda power steering fluid. Which of those do you think is the most crucial to stick to Honda brand?
I buy Honda brand for all my fluids/oils. But, I am never against learning and changing my philosophy.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
438 Posts
I must not live in the South then, given that I've only used DW-1 and not experienced issues...

Reactions: JTCJTC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honda coolant/antifreeze, Honda transmission fluid or Honda power steering fluid. Which of those do you think is the most crucial to stick to Honda brand?
I buy Honda brand for all my fluids/oils. But, I am never against learning and changing my philosophy.
Hi there, 1st. off i am not trying to be the top dog in any oil discussion , however all manufactures sell and reccommend there brand of oils & such . at an exorbitant price, years ago different Mfgs. stated that if you didn't use there brand of such & such your warranty would be void , this was challenged in the courts and was changed, any warranty presented the auto manufacturer had to prove that the lubricant used was the cause of such failure . engine oil, trans oil, antifreeze , brake fluid , and power steering fluid all have specs as long as you add fuids that meet or exceed manufactures specs your good to go. in the instance of engine or trans, oils synthetic has proven superior to conventional dino oil.
best, steve

havn't read anything bad about the Redline D4 however I will keep that i mind for future reference. $ is not the main issue , longer life is, my shifts are much more positive both up and down.
thanks steve

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX
45 Posts
being a previous journeyman V W Mechanic Factory Trained in Engine re-building , I wanted to wade in on the Genuine Honda Oil Myth , Yes I say Myth as about everywhere i read Honda id it Magic elixir for our trannys,
I say B.S. anywhere you read synthetic oils are far superior to dino oil , it does not break down under temp like dino oil does , its a fact Period , educate yourself, the different auto manufacturers have listed oils for there engines & transmissions based upon what there engineers find is optimum for the long life of the the vehicle in the engine they specify API [ American Petroleum Institute Certified 2W-20 note they do not say Pennzoil, Honda, or Valvoline etc. as long as it meets APIC certification its good to go & will not void your warranty , Synthetic Oil may be used as long as it meet the same requirements.
Recommendation for ATF is to only use the Magic Honda fluid , altho Dexron can be use if it is not available.
once again synthetic ATF is superior in lubricating, cooling, viscosity under higher heat & load.
case in point I replaced the filter on my trans. & both switches # 28600-RKE-004 & # 28610-RKE-004 as per talk here on net to preserve / prolong your tranny . my transmission continues to shift positive, and consitantly both up & down I replaced the Honda ATF with Redline D4 fully synthetic ,
in checking with local transmission shops , warranty run as follows, 24 months 24000 mi which ever comes first. another 24 months unlimited miles which ever comes first, both use Honda Oil as Replacement , and yet another 36 months 100,000 miles they use Redline D4 Full Synthetic. i will also be putting a larger remote oil filter on my trans along with an oil cooler .
the car has 95,000 original miles [ my sisters car ] and the trans was rebuilt apx. 45,000 miles ago by Aamco
I know i would never take my car there altho they seem to have done a decent job looking at the invoice as what they replaced.
steve
My 2005 Manual actually states if you put anything else in the Honda Transmission, change it the first chance you have.

My experience has been nothing but positive with Honda ATF. My 2000 SE ran to 283K before I sold it and the transmission never gave me not one problem ever. Same with the current 2005 EX with now 221K on it. Both 4 cylinder engines. Change Honda ATF once in awhile. Nothing else required and zero troubles. Note Honda does not specify oil, just type as you say. Not so for ATF, at least in my owner's manual. So tread there at your own risk. Since my experience has been nothing but positive, I'll not mess with a good thing. I don't believe in magic, but when engineers design a transmission for a specific type of oil, who am I to argue with them and think posters here know better?

I note even Prestone's new line of coolant for Asian OEM vehicles doesn't put Honda in the list. Must obviously be some difference. Also suggest, if you buy enough stuff from your Honda dealer, to get to know the Parts manager. Mine gives me 20% off virtually everything. This also reduces sales tax. He doesn't even have to be there. He has it set up in the computer.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,310 Posts
I use a mixture of Redline D4/D6 in the JCW Mini.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd say Honda power steering fluid of those particular 3. Having worked in autoparts, I saw first hand what happens when you don't run Honda OEM or fluid branded to work in Honda's.
I bought two bottles of OEM Honda brake fluid for my car, mainly because they were on Amazon Prime and I think I had a giftcard. lol.
Many have use Valvoline Maxlife in their Honda automatics without issue, but that is often treated as heresy on this and other forums alike.
I used Pentofrost A3 blue coolant in my '99 Accord for over 5 years from 160k miles when purchased to about 220k when I sold it. I've already bought 2 gallons for when I do the coolant in my '14 Accord.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
416 Posts
I must not live in the South then, given that I've only used DW-1 and not experienced issues...
You have an 8th gen, which doesn't have an underspecced and unreliable transmission on the V6. The 6th and 7th gen V6 have well documented early trans failures, caused mostly by overheating. Switching to a synthetic fluid will probably help them much more than the 8th gen.

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
never said i fully know Hondas, however i do believe in synthetics over dino oils as synthetic oil have been proven to maintain viscosity & lubricity over dino oils which Honda oil is. an oil cooler is just that lower the operating temperature of a given fluid, and in the case of Honda the oil breaks down due to heat and after that its not providing the protection it was intended to , perhaps in northern parts of the US its ok however id bet on the outcome running in say, Ariz, Texas, Nevada, So. Calif. kinda like the VW in that respect. the upper filter is way too small by mounting a remote oil filter would promote longer change intervals an removal of more / finer particles , and yes you must take into consideration of restrictions such as long runs in routing lines and reducing line ,fitting, or pipe sizing.
That's what a trans cooler does, avoid fluid break down and maintain viscosity and lubricity due to high fluid temp operations. Even full syn ATF will break down when it reaches well over 250F. The cooler keeps it below 225F most of the time. I won't even get into towing, it puts even more stress on the trans. DW-1 is a semi-syn, NO, it is not pure dino ATF. Dino Honda ATF is the old Z-1 which you cannot buy anymore. DW-1 came out around 2006/2007. Valvoline Maxlife is a full syn. I suggest you also visit odyclub.com and talk to the Odyssey guys who carry over a thousand pound of weight towing and shuttling kids, the guys there mostly have an aftermarket trans cooler installed, the OEM one is too small. I have a DIY on this, just search for it.

Using a large Magnefine remote trans filter might slow fluid flow, causing it to heat up a bit higher before flowing back into the trans, and it is not necessary. If you change the ATF every 15k miles, you'll barely see any clutch material on the magnetic drain plug or in the shift solenoids A/B/C's small filter screens.

I've written here in a ton of threads on what exactly to do to preserve the V6 auto trans as much as you can before a rebuild, so search for that first. I've had this car for 14 years and had the trans rebuilt by a shop at 275k miles and I did a lot of heavy city driving. Keep it in D3 until 36mph then shift into D, install an external trans cooler with cold fluid bypass, change ATF every 15k miles -> Maxlife or DW-1, change 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches every 100k miles. If you want to rebuild it, make sure you use Translab shift kit and fix the valve body fluid leaking. That's all I will say. Let's get off this topic and argue about motor oil instead... oh wait, there are already a million of threads on that.

·
ziptie princess
1,805 Posts
hmm take the advice of someone who had their transmission rebuilt for the first time at 275k or the one who did it at 50k :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

idk y'all it's a tough choice

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Since we're sharing anecdotal notes, I prefer to use Crisco lard in my tranny. If you think "time to break down" is important this stuff takes forever just to become fluid. I don't think this stuff ever breaks down and has a half life somewhere between Plutonium 238 and 239. All that time spent melting allows my engine to warm up to optimal temperature making all things automotive right in the world before my car moves an inch. Crisco has been proven to be superior to synthetic (and dino) oils in all aspects of cooking over easy eggs. It is also superior in keeping cookies from sticking to the baking sheet. If you don't believe me just ask Aunt Jemima.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts