Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With our 9th Gen having a totally new belt driven transmission let's hear what makes them last or fail.

Especially like to hear from those who do lots of stop and go traffic or are lead footed.

Remember, I like a belt drive on certain apps. I really like how it performs under light acceleration.

Why do I ask this question? Never know when another middle age crises might kick in and I want to floor it. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
With our 9th Gen having a totally new belt driven transmission let's hear what makes them last or fail.

Especially like to hear from those who do lots of stop and go traffic or are lead footed.

Remember, I like a belt drive on certain apps. I really like how it performs under light acceleration.

Why do I ask this question? Never know when another middle age crises might kick in and I want to floor it. :)
There is no set mileage for replacement, but it starts to go, you will know. It is a metal reinforced belt so it will get a noisier before it fails. I have not heard stories of catatrophic belt failures on any CVT, just that they becoming noiser and start jerking in general. Time will only tell what the life expectancy will be as more Accords rack up miles.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
There is no set mileage for replacement, but it starts to go, you will know. It is a metal reinforced belt so it will get a noisier before it fails. I have not heard stories of catatrophic belt failures on any CVT, just that they becoming noiser and start jerking in general. Time will only tell what the life expectancy will be as more Accords rack up miles.
I also look at Honda Fit dissuasion board and I read a post from a Fit owner from overseas who has a 2000 Fit with a CVT and he says it still works fine. I can't remember how many kilometers his car had but it was more than 100,000 miles.
Honda has been using CVT transmissions for years including Civic Hybrid, Insight and a number of models that are not imported to North America. I am sure that they know the average life of the belts.

Other CVT Honda models
Airwave, Capa, City, Civic, Freed, HR-V, Logo, Mobilio, Stepwgn and Stream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vehicles_with_CVT_transmission

·
Super Moderator
1,744 Posts
It is a metal reinforced belt...
More accurately, it is an all-metal (not metal-reinforced) belt like virtually all CVTs commonly used in automobiles for well over a decade. I realize you didn't say metal-reinforced rubber belt, but that could be implied. I don't know why people think that automotive CVT belts contain rubber - maybe the ones on go-karts and scooters gave people the wrong impression. Nissan thinks enough of their CVTs to warranty them for 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
isn't CVT are timing chain and belt for the V6?
CVT is an acronym for Continuously Variable Transmission. A CVT transmission doesn't have gears. It uses a steel belt and variable diameter pulleys. The URL from Honda describes both the CVT and the torque converter CVT. I think the Accord I4 uses the torque converter CVT.

http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/CVT/

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts