Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "3" indicating a transmission fluid change came on in the maintenance minder; I'm at 59,000 miles right now. Is it still alright to change the ATF at this point?

There's already a lot of mixed information about when it's too late to change the ATF and safer to just leave it, but I figure I'll just ask anyway.

If I do change it, it'll be done next weekend and I'll likely be at 60K by then.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Im at 74k and need to change it as well, but mine seems pretty clean , but I might change it as wel by flushing it 3 times, but I dont know if I should wait at 90k or do it now ? I would like to know as well

·
BringTheIntegraBack
256 Posts
I don't understand what you are waiting for. If the light has come on, it says it needs to be changed. Waiting will not let the fluid renew itself. That sort of renewal only happens in the COD series where after getting shot and being totally red screened, a few minutes of hiding makes all the injuries get better!

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,094 Posts
The "3" indicating a transmission fluid change came on in the maintenance minder; I'm at 59,000 miles right now. Is it still alright to change the ATF at this point?

There's already a lot of mixed information about when it's too late to change the ATF and safer to just leave it, but I figure I'll just ask anyway.
It's never too late to change the fluid unless there's something wrong with the tranny.

Saying it's too late to change the ATF is like saying it's too late to change the (conventional) motor oil because it was last changed 10,000 miles ago, so you might as well just leave it in there.

The owners manual tells you to wait for the 3 code to pop up unless

Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 30,000 miles (48,000 km).
60,000 miles of regular driving is nothing.

Yes, there will be some people (such as myself) who will change the ATF before the 3 code pops up, but that's because we're particular about the way we maintain our cars. I see it as cheap insurance. $25 for one drain and refill every year or two is much cheaper than spending $2,000-$3,000 to fix the transmission.

Even if you had 150,000 miles on the original ATF and there were no problems with the transmission, I'd still say it's safe to change it out. I'd just recommend slowly introducing the new fluid with the old. And by that I mean to do one drain and refill every time the oil is changed instead of doing 3 drain and refills immediately back to back to make sure everything is okay.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Good tip bro !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Off topic but quit being a wuss suisunca....... play hardcore cod. No fun running around shooting ppl if they can walk around a corner and replenish there health because they stopped being shot. Anyways Lol
If the light just came on change it drain and fill style. I wouldn't change it if you had a lot more miles and it was the first time Lol 200k but only having 59 it will be fine.

·
BringTheIntegraBack
256 Posts
Off topic but quit being a wuss suisunca....... play hardcore cod. No fun running around shooting ppl if they can walk around a corner and replenish there health because they stopped being shot. Anyways Lol
I can't play at all. I was merely observing what I saw my kid doing. I will call him the wuss now. Haha!

I am with namegoeshere. Have changed my MT fluid every 30k miles for the last two decades. Not sure what AT cars feel like after a change but my MT fluid change makes the tranny just feel healthy. Maybe it is in my head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts