Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the beginning of May the check engine light would come on when the gas got low. When we filled the tank the check engine light would go off. Now it pretty much stays on all the time and I don't know what's wrong with it. Lately you have to press harder on the gas pedal to get the car to go. Does this mean I need a transmission flush, an oil change, or do I need to change the gas cap? The gas cap looks fine and I don't believe a transmission flush has been done yet since we got it used.

I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
IF the CEL light is on why would you not have it checked for free at advanced/auto zone/pep boys/just about any parts store? NO ONE can answer your question until you find out what the CODE is on the CEL.

DON'T do a tranmission flush either. Do a drain and fillX3. A flush increases the chances of ruinung your tranny. Do you have a v6 or 4 cyl?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 4-cylinder honda.
I got one of those OBD machines that tells you the code except it only works for my Mazda (protege lx, 1998). I was thinking of taking it to Auto zone to have it diagnosed but my husband says he doesn't trust them so I am not sure what to do now. He thinks it needs a transmission flush.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
I got one of those OBD machines that tells you the code except it only works for my Mazda (protege lx, 1998). I was thinking of taking it to Auto zone to have it diagnosed but my husband says he doesn't trust them so I am not sure what to do now. He thinks it needs a transmission flush.

He doesn't trust them? Does he think they will make up a code for the CEL? Seriously, that is rediculous. Take it to Autozone and have it cheked before you waste your money (and tranny) on a flush.

I say again DO NOT get a transmission flush!!!!! Have him read this.

Do [url="http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14714&highlight=flush]this[/url] if it will make him feel better.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
OBD II has been the standard on cars in America since 1996, so you're more than likely mis-informed.

GET THE CODE READ BEFORE YOU LET YOUR HUSBAND TOUCH THE CAR. It is a bad idea to flush a Honda transmission, and on top of that it does NOT make sense to do a transmission flush in your situation. It's like saying "Gee, the door won't close so it must be the spark plugs.."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts