Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1997 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission.
This transmission has been replaced once that I know of, while it was in my possession.
That being said, I'm now having trouble with it.

After I replaced the transmission I noticed that the RPM and motor revved up really super high while shifting between the higher gears. It would also hold back before it finally shifted and then it'd jump forward and be fine.. until it had to shift higher.
I was told that was fine, it was just something I'd have to deal with. (I'm on a tight budget.)

It has been fine for a couple years.
Just a couple nights ago, in the cold weather, I drove about 5 miles. I stopped at a stop sign, and when I started to pull onto the other road, it stopped shifting. It was stuck in probably second (just an estimate) gear.

So I stopped. Turned off the car, after putting it in park. Put on my emergency lights and turned off my headlights. Sat for a minute, but my phone was dead and I had 3 miles to home. So I started the car, turned on my lights and kept going.
Still wouldn't shift, so I went creeping along the shoulder at 20 MPH to keep the motor from blowing up.

Then I thought, my dad rigged one of the motor fans to my headlights. So if my headlights are on, my fan is on. So I thought maybe it's the cold. I pulled over. Turned off the car. Turned off the lights. Waited. Started the car, without the lights. And drove. I waited until I hit 45 MPH to turn my lights on, and the next two miles to my house went smoothly.

Well it happened again on my way to work. But now when I put it in park and restart the car after a few minutes, it doesn't always hit when I shift to D4, so I have to go down to D3 and back to D4. And it sometimes misses for a minute when I put it in Reverse as well.

The burning question is, could this be the cold? a chip? the whole transmission? Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A couple of basic questions, have you checked the fluid level and do you have a CEL light or codes stored?
Cold weather can sometimes make minor problems worse, but the problems need to be fixed sometime.
When the engine revs up between shifts the clutches are slipping and will soon fail totally. You might try a can of Lubegard red if you are desperate to get a little more life out of the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of basic questions, have you checked the fluid level and do you have a CEL light or codes stored?
Cold weather can sometimes make minor problems worse, but the problems need to be fixed sometime.
When the engine revs up between shifts the clutches are slipping and will soon fail totally. You might try a can of Lubegard red if you are desperate to get a little more life out of the transmission.
I know checking the fluids is the obvious first step, but no I have not.
This problem has persisted even at times the fluids are all full. So that's already been ruled out for this car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts