Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and I want to start off saying this forum is excellent! Has a great community and wealth of knowledge!

I have a 2005 I4
EDIT: with 110K mi

Here is the problem:

I was changing my oil and I noticed a large grease spot on the bottom of my transmission. Checked the ATF level it was fine. I cleaned it up changed the oil and took it for a 5 min drive then checked for any signs of the leak. There was a very very small drop forming on the bottom of the transmission. I traced it back and I am pretty certain it is coming from the front pump seal. I would need to take the transmission mounting bracket off to be "more" certain. Regardless though the leak is so small it has gone completely unnoticed since my last oil change 5K mi ago.

Here is where I need advice:

I kinda sorta have the money to get it fixed but should I just let it leak and wait until it gets bad? Could that potentially cause damage to the torque convertor?

and if I should wait...

I am about 15k mi past due for an ATF change...
Before I found the leak I was planning on doing a 3x drain and refill and also changing the OEM filter for a Magnefine inline.

If I wait should I still do this??

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Welcome to DA! (2005 i4's rule, by the way :))

Are you SURE it is ATF and not oil?

Thought of spraying (be careful) some brake cleaner fluid in that area to more easily spot where the leak is the next day?

Confirm it is ATF and post a picture of where....

Monitor that fluid level and maybe park with a cardboard sheet underneath to determine quantity lost. But clean the area first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is definitely ATF the drop is a bright red color. I'll try and post pictures in a bit.

The reason it went unnoticed is the "drop" is not actually dropping. I park in a garage with fairly clean floors and have never noticed any sort of fluid on the ground.

Maybe its only leaking while I am driving?

The fluid level has not changed a noticeable amount since I discovered the leak 3 days. ago.

The car just hit 110K

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
When is the last time you changed the drain plug crush washer? Mine scared the crap out of me that way. It was leaking from the drain plug but due to wind underneath the car at speed, it spread the ATF around and made it look like something serious. Once I installed new washer and sprayed her with brake cleaner, no more leak.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
When is the last time you changed the drain plug crush washer? Mine scared the crap out of me that way. It was leaking from the drain plug but due to wind underneath the car at speed, it spread the ATF around and made it look like something serious. Once I installed new washer and sprayed her with brake cleaner, no more leak.
+1 on that!

The crush washers are pretty much free if you say please/thank you at the stealership. For each of my 3 drain and fills, I used a new crush washer- even though its "life" was a day or two. Crush washer part number is 90471-PX4-000 and is $1.76 - $2.50 at the dealer, but they just gave me three free.

But clean the area first! Leaks on cars are like leaks in houses...you have to follow the trail as where it ends up is often NOT directly below where it started.

Also, I highly recommend Drew as an undercar washer...gonna give him a good review on Yelp! in a minute....5 stars for THAT guy, yes sir!

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is my first post and I want to start off saying this forum is excellent! Has a great community and wealth of knowledge!

I have a 2005 I4
EDIT: with 110K mi

Here is the problem:

I was changing my oil and I noticed a large grease spot on the bottom of my transmission. Checked the ATF level it was fine. I cleaned it up changed the oil and took it for a 5 min drive then checked for any signs of the leak. There was a very very small drop forming on the bottom of the transmission. I traced it back and I am pretty certain it is coming from the front pump seal. I would need to take the transmission mounting bracket off to be "more" certain. Regardless though the leak is so small it has gone completely unnoticed since my last oil change 5K mi ago.

Here is where I need advice:

I kinda sorta have the money to get it fixed but should I just let it leak and wait until it gets bad? Could that potentially cause damage to the torque convertor?

and if I should wait...

I am about 15k mi past due for an ATF change...
Before I found the leak I was planning on doing a 3x drain and refill and also changing the OEM filter for a Magnefine inline.

If I wait should I still do this??

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
Honda seems to be more prone to ATF leaks than any other cars that I had. I had a very slow leak on both of my new Honda Accords when I first bought them. In either case, I brought them back to the dealer and all they did were retorquing the AT housing bolts to specs. In both cases, it worked and the leak stopped. AT leaks could be hard to detect because they don't usually leak fast unless there is a crack on the AT housing or the drain bolt. What I would do first is to clean up the area and try to trace it back to the source of the leak. Check your ATF level every day to make sure it is not low and refill as needed. A low ATF level will ruin your day really fast. Once you figure out where the leak come from, fix that first. It could be as simple as one or more bolts need retorqued to spec but it could be you have a bad seal between the AT torque converter case, AT transmission case or AT left cover. Be very careful not to torque the bolts too much, you may break the bolts or crack the case. Once the fix is done, do the filter change, drain and fill 2x since you are overdue any way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this is the leak after 24 hrs. You can see the ATF building up in the seam between the transmission brace and the transmission and also around the head of that bolt. I didn't have time today to take the brace off to see exactly where the leak was coming from. I have all day tomorrow to attempt to locate the exact source of the leak. I am afraid if its not the pump seal the casing is cracked around the bolt in the picture. What do you guys think?

Also is that a normal amount of casting imperfections in the transmission?

I never reuse crush washers!:nuts:

all they did were retorquing the AT housing bolts to specs
I spent a fair amount of time goggling for those torque specs and wasn't able to find them. Do you or anyone else know those specs?

Attachments

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,723 Posts
Maybe I'm not seeing right or something, but that looks like brown engine oil, not red transmission fluid. Rear main seal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.