Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Honda FTW!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seven and half years and 134k HARD miles, the automatic transmission in my car is about dead. I've got a P0741 torque converter code and if I push the accelerator too hard, the engine free-revs until I let off and it chooses second gear. This is ESPECIALLY fun when doing 60mph - good thing the V6 is such a strong, sweet engine because the limiter has to intervene at that point.

I cannot afford to buy a new car so trading it is not an option. That's moot though because this car has been the best that I've ever owned, bar none. I am going to have the tranny repaired or replaced. The engine still gets the same fuel economy that it always has and doesn't burn any oil. Honda, on the whole, makes incredibly durable cars and can consider me a customer for life.

It's unlikely that I will have the dealer do any work as their rates and pricing are rarely competitive. My Dad, who was once a professional mechanic is looking around for me. He has shop contacts in the St. Louis area where we live.

TL;DR My question are:
a) How many flat-rate hours should a shop charge to do a remove/replace job?
b) What is the going price for a reconditioned automatic transmission?
c) I assume that it cheaper to have a reconditioned tranny installed as opposed to having mine repaired. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any insights - they are much appreciated!

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Like with any auto repair work, call around (many places) and get as many quotes as possible - everyone will tell you different but you'll get a good feel for a price to expect to pay as an overall consensus. As jimijam posted, start with them first if they are well known for their work on Honda vehicles.

Here may be a silly question...but why do you choose to drive your car "HARD" ? This is sort of the price you pay...

·
Registered
385 Posts
i would say price wise, if its a reputable place for a used transmisson, 350-800 dollars and install i would say 300-500 bucks

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
i would say price wise, if its a reputable place for a used transmisson, 350-800 dollars and install i would say 300-500 bucks
This isn't a pickup or something else with a longitudinally mounted engine where transmission replacement involves pulling the driveshaft, unbolting a crossmember, housing and shift linkage and sliding it out. I've had the transmission out of my Camaro 4 or 5 times in a year to mess with the external shift linkages.

I haven't tried or really researched but I would imagine at a minimum he's going to have to have both CV axles pulled, subframe dropped, any number of motor/tranny mounts removed or disconnected, etc. My guess is a shop is going to charge you a day to pull it out and a day to put the new/reconned unit back in. Around here $85/hour seems to be an accurate labor rate. I would assume $750-$1,000 for a reconditioned transmission, maybe $500 or less if you pull one out of a junkyard...

·
Registered
804 Posts
since these transmissions have known issues, wouldnt a used transmission (with UNknown history of maintenance and issues) be another big risk $$$ wise... as opposed to a rebuilt or Re manufactured unit? Of course used is cheaper. but like i said, its not like his blown transmission is unheard of on here... just a thought.. not saying im right..

·
Registered
804 Posts
After seven and half years and 134k HARD miles, the automatic transmission in my car is about dead. I've got a P0741 torque converter code and if I push the accelerator too hard, the engine free-revs until I let off and it chooses second gear. This is ESPECIALLY fun when doing 60mph - good thing the V6 is such a strong, sweet engine because the limiter has to intervene at that point.

I cannot afford to buy a new car so trading it is not an option. That's moot though because this car has been the best that I've ever owned, bar none. I am going to have the tranny repaired or replaced. The engine still gets the same fuel economy that it always has and doesn't burn any oil. Honda, on the whole, makes incredibly durable cars and can consider me a customer for life.

It's unlikely that I will have the dealer do any work as their rates and pricing are rarely competitive. My Dad, who was once a professional mechanic is looking around for me. He has shop contacts in the St. Louis area where we live.

TL;DR My question are:
c) I assume that it cheaper to have a reconditioned tranny installed as opposed to having mine repaired. Is this correct?

I have no personal experience in this dept. but i wanted to ask you if you dont mind.. what was your maintenance like on this transmission? (believe me im Not implying in any way this could have been avoided..there is a reason why you can google this situation and have hundreds of pages to read) i was just wondering.. thats all.... also btw for what its worth give this link a read..

http://etereman.com/blog/toyota-aut...easons-why-a-reman-trans-is-your-best-option/

·
Honda FTW!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the many responses. I should have subscribed to be notified.

Here's where I am up to. There's a highly recommended shop in Waterloo, IL that has quoted me $1700 plus tax to remove and rebuild it. We also called the dealer, AAMCO and Allen Transmission. None were willing to give any ballpark figures even though we stated "rebuild or replace". In fairness to Allen, they did say they'd diagnose it for free.

I am going to call Just Honda too, so thank you for that jimijam. cintocrunch, your assessment is pretty much spot on which is why I am having a shop do it. I did the timing belt but that's not nearly as specialized.

DreaminAccord, drive your 7th gen Accord like a granny and you still might have transmission issues. The fact that I've gotten 134k miles out of mine says something. All American cars that I've owned are getting long in the tooth by 80k.

Arkainzeye, I was very lax about transmission maintenance, unfortunately. I had Jiffy Lube do one flush and refill a long time ago and then two years ago I started to religiously drain/fill three quarts of ATF-DW1 with Red Lubegard. I think the Lubegard has bought me some time. Thanks for the link. I will read it later on.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I wouldn't pull a V6 tranny from a junkyard, with the failure rate, why risk it with a transmission with unknown history.

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
I am going to call Just Honda too, so thank you for that jimijam.
Let me know what they quote you. Remember, this guy has been working on these cars for years so he knows them inside and out. If prices were the same, I'd pick him over other shops that work on a little bit of everything.

·
Honda FTW!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NightFire, I agree with you. The transmissions are pretty fragile to start with never mind not knowing if someone failed to maintain it or flogged it (like I do :) )

jimijam, I did get a very prompt and courteous call back from Just Honda but they want $3400 to rebuild my tranny. I am going to pass but THANK YOU for the recommendation.

The shop that I'm taking it to did five Accords last week. He does not use Honda OEM clutch packs as apparently OEMs flake and cause blockage. I am already liking what I hear. I will be dropping it off next Monday and they said I can pick it up next Friday. I'll update everyone when it's done. I am going to see if I can get some pictures from them but I doubt it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

TL;DR My question are:

Im on the same boat as you. @ 170k my tranny is bout to die with the p0741 of doom.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
:puke:

How much more drivel will you continue to spew of things you know nothing about?

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
jimijam, I did get a very prompt and courteous call back from Just Honda but they want $3400 to rebuild my tranny. I am going to pass but THANK YOU for the recommendation.
That's a big price difference. What's the name of the shop in Waterloo?

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
I'm surprised the transmission didn't fail when Jiffy Lube flushed it with non-oem fluid.

If someone other than Honda is doing the rebuild/replacement ask them what to do about fluid changes.

Def get a warranty more than 1yr/12k. Call Honda of America, be polite and explain the situation and that you love the car, but this is very upsetting to you as it's such a high quality car and the cost of replacement is very expensive for you.

They MAY goodwill it (doubt it) BUT they may pay for half, or 75%. Keep talking with them to try to get a deal. This way you get a Honda (updated) unit at the same price as an aftermarket one.

If Honda doesn't work with you then go the next cheapest route. Be sure to keep up the fluid/maint as per the rebuilder.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
:puke:

How much more drivel will you continue to spew of things you know nothing about?
a

I thought he was gone. lol I guess it was just wishful thinking. hahah

·
Registered
657 Posts
"Transmission nearly dead" - stories such as these freak me out knowing that I have a 2003 V6 AT :thumbsdow! Good luck on your rebuild though :thmsup:!

·
Honda FTW!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@jimijam The name of the shop is Fox Transmission & Auto Repair.

@ChrisQ80 I will definitely ask the rebuilder about the maintenance intervals. As I mentioned, I've been doing tranny maintenance very frequently now (with Red Lubegard) for around two years which is probably why I've managed to get this far. Concerning Honda, do you really think they'd contribute anything to repair a car that's nearly three years / 34k miles past the powertrain warranty? I would rather not spend all the money that I am going to have to spend but I don't think they're going to go for that.

@Accord_Rules If your transmission is OK now it will probably be fine for a long time. Mine has gradually deteriorated - it didn't just break and leave me stranded without warning. I could tell when it really started to go downhill as it started to take one or more seconds to shift from park into reverse or drive. Even then, it has not left me stranded.

I am currently driving my '95 Trans Am so am hopeful that the weather doesn't deteriorate. I could barely make it through the snow back in the day and it's got a blower / 500RWHP now.

Thanks to all for the responses!

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
You know what, I read so many posts of people who are afraid their transmissions are going to disintegrate. I never took my cars from reverse into drive while moving backwards and slammed the throttle (OK maybe once when I was a month into driving) but I have always had a day here and there where I gave them the beans. Every stoplight was full throttle, hard cornering, hard on the brakes, etc.

I enjoy the performance the car offers and don't regret the way I have treated it because I spend the rich time maintaining it and fixing things that break. I get the feeling you don't have that regret and I have to respect that. Heres to another 100k+ of hard miles!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts