Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 98 Accord EX-L with 203k miles. It's a great running car except for the transmission which has been slipping and jerking. The other day it got worse and the check engine light came on. Honda said it needs a new transmission. I called a trans shop and they said they could rebuild for $1700. Honda has offered me $1250 for the car so now I'm trying to decide what to do, repair or let go for $1250. I've spent close to $2k on the car over the past 18 months (new tires, radiator, starter, front brake pads, fixing leaking solenoid).

Looking for opinions on what I should do. The timing belt will need to be replaced in 27k miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
did that dealership tell you $1250 w/the slipping transmission or with a fully working transmission? if they'll up the price on the car with a fully functional transmission see how much they'll give you.

also, look at KBB and input all of your car's information using only the "private party" option and see what the website will say about your car. it'll give you three different prices - fair, good, excellent - and typically a person uses the "good" price.

a rule of thumb to look at is if for a major repair, such as the transmission in your case right now, is half the value of the vehicle or less, then do the repair. if the repair of the repair is over half the value of the vehicle, get rid of the vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1250 price from the dealer is for the car as is, with un-repaired transmission. Private party value for my car on KBB in "good" condition is 3185, right about double what the repair would cost.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
then get it fixed. seems worth it to me to have it fixed still then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would shop around for the best price on a tranny rebuild and keep the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer agreed to come up to 1500 so I decided to sell. Transmissio
PHP:
n repair could have have been 1700 to 2200 depending on the extent of the damage inside. I will miss it!

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
what will you be getting to replace the accord?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what will you be getting to replace the accord?
I have a 2010 Accord that I bought in January. I used the 1998 as a daily driver so the 2010 stayed in the garage mostly.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
cool beans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts