Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you please inform me as to the transmission choices one would have with a 4 cylinder engine in the new 9th Gen Accord coupe AND sedan? Thank you!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sedan and coupe both have CVT and MT6 with the 4 cyl.

MT6 is limited to EX and below.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I understand now...Honda was calling it an "Automatic"- but it is also known as a CVT.

@on2: How do you like your automatic transmission? And based on your signature, are those highway miles at 55mph, 65mph, or closer to 75mph?

·
Registered
76 Posts
43.3 mpg must be from a flat road, no wind, no acceleration (steady speed), minimal weight (on2 must be a small person =P ).

In seattle, with traffic (about half the trip) and hills I get ~35, city driving evenings and weekends drops me to ~32 for the tank.

Edit: I drive ~65 when out of traffic, stop and go in traffic of course.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think I understand now...Honda was calling it an "Automatic"- but it is also known as a CVT.

@on2: How do you like your automatic transmission? And based on your signature, are those highway miles at 55mph, 65mph, or closer to 75mph?
The CVT is a wonderful tranny. I have not had any issues with 7k miles on it.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
43.3 mpg must be from a flat road, no wind, no acceleration (steady speed), minimal weight (on2 must be a small person =P ).

In seattle, with traffic (about half the trip) and hills I get ~35, city driving evenings and weekends drops me to ~32 for the tank.

Edit: I drive ~65 when out of traffic, stop and go in traffic of course.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1716794&postcount=577

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

The CVT transmission mated to the Earth Dreams 2.4 liter I4 engine is a terrific drive train combination. The transmission is as smooth as silk and because there are an infinite number of gear ratios the engine is always running at the right RPM for the conditions. I drive about 40% city stop and go traffic 60% highway driving. I am getting over 32 MPG with the AC on. My EX-L has the paddle shifters which allow you to simulate a seven speed automatic. The manual transmission purists on this forum will never be convinced haw nicely the car drives with the automatic. If you are old school and inclined to clutch and shift gears then the manual transmission gets rave reviews here. Honda has always made great manual transmissions, however you have to be dedicated to shift from first to second and back again in bumper to bumper traffic. :thumbsdow

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Flyboy: Seen several of your posts before (I am always on the 7th Gen site) and remembered your username because you stuck with red and have a 6th and 9th Gen. Thank you for your review of the CVT, by the way.

I was confused/surprised because of the term "automatic" used on Honda's website. I currently have a wonderful 7th Gen but will buy a 9th Gen in the future (yes, I have to skip the 8th Gen- there are too many for sale and it makes me wonder).

I LOVE Honda's 4 cylinder- I do all my own wrenching and can't believe how easy it is to work on- which is pretty much just maintenance stuff rather than repair stuff. I looked at reviews of the CVT and for the most part, I hear very good things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts