Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

Car: 2007 Accord EX V6

Background: The transmission fluid on this vehicle was drained and refilled about 10k miles ago.

I checked my tranny fluid yesterday and it's extremely high. I haven't noticed any hiccups during shifts but after searching around online it appears too much tranny fluid can be damaging.

Here is a picture comparing the color of the fluid in the car verse new honda fluid.

View image: fluidcolor

Do you guys think it could have already done a considerable amount of damage? What would you suggest I do from here?

Thank You

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It's probably not hurt it being over full..

I'd drain it all out, add two quarts and then a half quart at a time until it's in the correct range. (after running it and checking hot with the engine off, of course)

Use HONDA DW-1 FLUID!

Also, you're right on time mileage wise. You'll want to D&F about every 10K especially with the V6 engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sometimes reading the ATF dipstick is a little tricky. Make sure you are reading it right. Warm up the engine until the radiator fan comes on, park at level ground (important to be as level as possible) turn off the engine and check the fluid level 60-90 sec after turning the engine off. Remove the dipstick, clean it and put it back with the arrow pointing towards the front bumper. Pull it out again and check the level. It should be between the low and the high mark (holes). Your picture is not showing up, so I can't tell. You might see some ATF high at the stick but focus on the two dots and try to find the level there.

If you decide to remove the drain plug make sure that the car is level and measure the volume of the fluid that came out. Compare that to 3.2 US qt to see if it was overfilled or underfilled. Take a picture of the magnet of the drain plug for us, clean it up, use a new washer and torque the plug back to 36 lbf.ft. Oh, before putting it back, wipe the contact area on the transmission case to make sure there is no debris there. Then, if you are on flat surface by adding the 3.2 qt of DW1 you should be somewhere between the two holes.

·
Mike
842 Posts
It looks like only 1 drain and fill was done at that last service?

As Ulysses said, check the level correctly and report back.

BTW, due to the relatively low volume of ATF in the 5AT, I suggest maintaining ATF level at the top mark, a fraction above has been shown to not cause any problems.

You may want to do a 3x3 change on this vehicle, then depending on fluid condition and if it appears to be degrading at an accelerated rate, 1 x D&F @ 10k or later if fluid appears ok.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,458 Posts
Are you checking the level with the engine OFF? This is not a Chevy. Since you said the level was high, it makes me think you are checking with the engine running (not the right way with this transmission). Who did the drain and fill?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts