Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the way to work when i n otice that every time i will make a turn the car will rev up like its having a hard time to change gear but from a complete stop it will run fine…. on the way to work all my turns from a stop light it will rev up then change gear…. once i get to the parking lot i when look at the bottom and i saw that i have a bad leak at bottom all chassis are wet.. but didn't have time to touch and find out what fluid was it…. any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one of my coworker said it might be the steering fluid… probably its leaking that why its goes like that when ever i made turns…. ill found out tonight once i get off and see what fluid is that

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Check the fluid level in both the power steering and transmission as described in your owners manual. May as well check the coolant and brake levels while you are under the hood. Which ever one is low is likely the leaker. A leaking power steering system would not cause the engine to rev up when shifting. Low transmission fluid could cause many problems including shifting issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is transmission fluid that is leaking…. just can't see since the leak is coming from somewhere bottom of air filter and battery…. early tomorrow morning ill try to remove the tire to see if i can spot the leak

And if i buy ATF DW-1 can i mixed it with the old fluid which is ATF Z-1?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes Honda DW1 and Z1 are compatible.

One possible leak source would be the axle seals which are replaceable without pulling the transmission, but it could also mean the differential bearings are worn and they can not be replaced without a transmission rebuild.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you pinpoint be the location of that axle seal? went jack my car this morning and yea it is the transmission fluid… and its leaking really bad…. it coming from bottom of air box filter and battery… i took a day off tomorrow and tuesday… so tomorrow morning ill try to remove the air box filter to see where the leak is coming from...

And how will i know if its jus the seal or its the bearing?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The axle seals are on the side of the transmission where the axles attach. They are mostly hidden by the inner CV joint on the axle.

Easiest way to determine if its the seal or a bearing is to first replace the seal (if thats whats leaking) and see if it stops the leak. If the leak comes back in a short while the bearing is probably bad which allows the axle to move more than the seal can handle. I would say a bad bearing is not very likely in your model Accord. Some of the older 6th gens had this issue.

·
Mike
779 Posts
That's the filter housing Banjo fitting, the trans fluid exits from the filter here and goes to the rear of the trans and to another banjo fitting, looks like someone has made a mess of it.

But new aluminium crush washers, check the Banjo fitting and filter housing surfaces for any marks and re-assemble, don't over tighten or you will defeat the purpose of the crush washers.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I believe thats the transmission cooler line attached to the ATF filter. You might try tightening the bolt first to see if thats all it needs. Otherwise there is supposed to be a washer on each side of the fitting that can be replaced. See item 24 in the link. There are some filter gaskets that could be leaking (items 21 & 22) or a leaking hose could also be the cause.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...tcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=AT+OIL+LEVEL+GAUGE+(V6)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea the bolt is so loose that you can loosen more by just your hands…. i did tighten it and it solved the leak issue ….. thanks for all the time and help guys

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is there any other fill port for transmission fluid? the dip stick hole it too small that out auto zone and orally don't have a funnel that will fit the hole

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
I used a piece of clear hose attached to a funnel to fill it. There is a fill hole but the bolt is a bitch to get out. Easier just to do it through the dip stick hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts