Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am having a peculiar issue with my transponder key. The remote opening and locking of the car works fine for the key. So the issue is not with the battery.

However, the car does not start with this key. The starter motor tries to start the engine, but the engine does not start. The valet key starts the engine fine.

A couple of years ago my original Honda key broke and I replaced the original transponder into a shell key using the following link.

Any ideas of what is going on here.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Does the green key light come on on the dash with the transponder key? If it does, you may need the key (re)programmed, which I believe only the dealer can do.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
some local locksmiths have machines to program transponders now, call around cause it can save you a ton of money

·
Cruising in Montana
3,980 Posts
Regardless of where you go to get the reprogramming done, bring ALL of the keys you have with you. Once the job is done, any forgotten keys will no longer work.

·
Super Moderator
4,268 Posts
Unless they delete the keys from the immobilizer, you don't have to have all keys present. The programming of the remote is what requires all remote keys.

OP since you say you swapped your key shell, it's possible the chip my have shifted in the shell and is no longer in close proximity to the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I will check for the green light and call some locksmiths. I can also open the faulty key to see if the transponder chip has moved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unless they delete the keys from the immobilizer, you don't have to have all keys present. The programming of the remote is what requires all remote keys.

OP since you say you swapped your key shell, it's possible the chip my have shifted in the shell and is no longer in close proximity to the sensor.
I am having a similar issue where i recently changed the ecu (engine computer unit) as well as get another key for my mazda premacy. Now the remote opens and locks the doors but wont start the car

·
Cruising in Montana
3,980 Posts
You need to go to a dealer and get the new key paired to the new computer. The computer does not recognize the key.

It is not a do-it-yourself job.

·
Super Moderator
4,268 Posts
I am having a similar issue where i recently changed the ecu (engine computer unit) as well as get another key for my mazda premacy. Now the remote opens and locks the doors but wont start the car
Can't be of much help with a Mazda on a Honda Accord forum but if you didn't get the key programmed, then start there.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hello,

Not to hijack the thread, but I was not able to locate answer via search as the function seems broken and provides many irrelevant results.

Anyways, with how many keys a brand new Accord 7th gen would leave dealership lot? One master and one valet or two master keys and one valet key ?

Thanks

·
Pilot without a plane
516 Posts
Hello,

Not to hijack the thread, but I was not able to locate answer via search as the function seems broken and provides many irrelevant results.

Anyways, with how many keys a brand new Accord 7th gen would leave dealership lot? One master and one valet or two master keys and one valet key ?

Thanks
We got two masters and a valet with our 2003 from the dealer. It's a rarity now to get a used car with two key fobs or floor mats.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I received one keyfob on key and valet keys, floor mats were/are still in the trunk except drivers I took and placed it where it said be as those paper temp mats yard for service was just too slippery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts