Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Honda Accord and this weekend I need to go pick up a bicycle I bought. It is a long drive and I really don't want the trunk open bringing it back if possible. I put the seats down in the back and it looks like I could get away with getting the bike in there whole since I would not know how to remove a wheel if I wanted to... Does anyone know if they think I have a chance in getting my bike home? Over 2 hrs away. It is a Women's 26" Schwinn.

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
Yes, but remove the front wheel. Schwinn started in Chicago a million years ago and if there is one thing I know- it is the Schwinn bike. Many models have a quick release for the front wheel- no tools needed. If it is some recently made in China Schwinn, then you might need to bring an adjustable wrench.

Watch out for the pedals- they can tear seats, trunk carpeting, etc....bring an old towel to wrap the pedals up.

BTW, if it is a vintage Schwinn, props to you. They are well made and can easily last 100 years. Not the lightest bikes, but so over-engineered. There is a place called "Working Bikes" in Chicago, and every now and then I go there to buy a Vintage Schwinn. Proceeds helps people in need.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
A front bicycle wheel either has a conventional nut, or, a quick release lever depending on the age of the bike. Find out which type it has and bring along an adjustable wrench, just in case.
You can do it...You're a woman...here you roar!
(This reply brought to you by Helen Reddy)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You may have to remove the front wheel. Remove it in any case because it will be much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
BTW, if it is a vintage Schwinn, props to you. They are well made and can easily last 100 years. Not the lightest bikes, but so over-engineered.
Oh yeah!
My very first road bike was the Schwinn "World Sport"!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'd bring an old blanket to wrap the entire bike, not just the pedals after you remove the front wheel. You don't want chain grease getting on carpets or seats, and gears, handlebars, brake grips etc can all damage/scratch the inside of your car too.

And you certainly don't want to scratch the paint on the bike, especially if it's a vintage model!

And put a towel or wide cloth over the entire lip of the trunk and rear bumper before you load the bike so you don't damage that area either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Front wheel has to come off, but it's easy to do if it has quick release levers. Don't forget to release the brake cable or it'll be hard to pull the wheel off. A full size road bike will fit easily in the Accord's closed trunk, with the seats down. Put a piece of cardboard down so the bike can slide on top of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gosh I was so hoping not to have to remove the front wheel. I have the measurements for the Schwinn bike and the only thing that really worries me is the handle bars. They are 37" across. and the Trunk bed area that can't be moved is 18". I know the rest will fit. I have over 69" to play with

Front wheel has to come off, but it's easy to do if it has quick release levers. Don't forget to release the brake cable or it'll be hard to pull the wheel off. A full size road bike will fit easily in the Accord's closed trunk, with the seats down. Put a piece of cardboard down so the bike can slide on top of it.
Why do you think the wheel has to come off? I have over 69" to play with?

I'd bring an old blanket to wrap the entire bike, not just the pedals after you remove the front wheel. You don't want chain grease getting on carpets or seats, and gears, handlebars, brake grips etc can all damage/scratch the inside of your car too.

And you certainly don't want to scratch the paint on the bike, especially if it's a vintage model!

And put a towel or wide cloth over the entire lip of the trunk and rear bumper before you load the bike so you don't damage that area either.
Dam it I am going to show you guys up. I just can't believe that with this much room in my back area with the seats down that I still have to remove the front tire? Whyyyyyy

You may have to remove the front wheel. Remove it in any case because it will be much easier.

I am not removing that front wheel if I have to stomp my feet and scream in the parking lot! lol

I just do not believe that I have to remove the front wheel? That does not make sense to me. Please someone enlighten me for I don't get it. I am however worried about the handle bars being 37" but not the wheel. Please I need an answer ASAP! Going over 2 hours and being by myself in an area that I don't know is just not a good thing. Thank you for your help!

PS and NO I will never do this again! lol.. But By Golly I am gonna get my bike Come Hell or High Water!

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Here's why it may have to be removed...go lay a bike down...so, if you remove the wheel, the handlebars can then be turned so that they are almost parallel to the top tube. Then you know the handlebar's width is no longer an issue. This is yet another reason quick release levers were invented. Because the wheel is removed, the wheel's diameter is also not an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, but remove the front wheel. Schwinn started in Chicago a million years ago and if there is one thing I know- it is the Schwinn bike. Many models have a quick release for the front wheel- no tools needed. If it is some recently made in China Schwinn, then you might need to bring an adjustable wrench.

Watch out for the pedals- they can tear seats, trunk carpeting, etc....bring an old towel to wrap the pedals up.

BTW, if it is a vintage Schwinn, props to you. They are well made and can easily last 100 years. Not the lightest bikes, but so over-engineered. There is a place called "Working Bikes" in Chicago, and every now and then I go there to buy a Vintage Schwinn. Proceeds helps people in need.
Aye, I have fond memories of my Schwinn Superior. Made in 1969, the chrome-moly frame, hand braised in Chicago by American craftsmen, 4 cross laced alloy wheels, light and strong enough for my 220 pounds. Made in 1969, it had a wide ratio 10 speed that allowed (as I recall) something like a 13 inch low too a 103 inch high and 8 speeds in between. Fiddling with the levers on the frame to get the desired gear and a little massage to get minim noise allowed me to go up and down the several hills in Golden as I rode to and from work. Made a great all around bike, and as you say, solid. Never broke anything, although replaced plenty of tires and tubes. It may still be in service someplace today. The caliper brakes were too exciting when wet and I suspect the disk brakes I see on many current bikes are better. The multi-speed gear selectors on the handlebars are likely an improvement too.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
in my 2014, I was able to release the rear seat and remove the front wheel of the bike. the bike only came a little into the cabin, but the seat needs to be down anyway to let it fit fully inside the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's why it may have to be removed...go lay a bike down...so, if you remove the wheel, the handlebars can then be turned so that they are almost parallel to the top tube. Then you know the handlebar's width is no longer an issue. This is yet another reason quick release levers were invented. Because the wheel is removed, the wheel's diameter is also not an issue.
I get it! Poo I so did not want to have to remove the wheel but because the handle bars could be an issue I get it. Thanks for making me understand!

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
You can always do what one sadistic neighbor did to teach his son, Billy, a lesson about not leaving the bike in the middle of the driveway. He forced Billy to look outside the window and then ran the bike over to flatten it. Billy learned alright. Learned good....Billy learned that a bike can be flattened to fit inside a small garbage can.

Don't do that to a vintage Schwinn, though. That is not nice.

I have three vintage Schwinn bikes. On my Spirit (1981 bike), it does NOT have a quick wheel release. I take out my adjustable wrench, loosen the wheel's nut, and then use the quick brake release. So it takes me 15 seconds to remove the front wheel.

On my 1975 Artic White Super Sport with Belgium wheels, I have a quick release for both the front wheel and brake- it takes me 10 seconds to remove the wheel.

Go to YouTube and watch bike thieves remove front wheels- some of these guys can do it in 6 seconds. It's really not a big deal.

You can go to Irv's Bikes or to Rudy's Bikes- both in Chicago. They have been selling Schwinn's for over 50 years- you can always get a quick release front wheel to save you those 5 seconds and the need to carry a wrench.

Reactions: jkd77433

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
... I have to remove the front wheel? ... Please someone enlighten me for I don't get it.
Because this:
... the handle bars. They are 37" across. and the Trunk bed area that can't be moved is 18"
Remove the wheel so you can turn the handlebar flat.

I just do not believe that I have to remove the front wheel? That does not make sense to me.
Yes, and some people believe the earth is flat.

I am not removing that front wheel if I have to stomp my feet and scream in the parking lot! lol
Maybe if you spoke to the manager?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Accord and this weekend I need to go pick up a bicycle I bought. It is a long drive and I really don't want the trunk open bringing it back if possible. I put the seats down in the back and it looks like I could get away with getting the bike in there whole since I would not know how to remove a wheel if I wanted to... Does anyone know if they think I have a chance in getting my bike home? Over 2 hrs away. It is a Women's 26" Schwinn.
once I remove both wheels I can carry two mtn bikes on the back seat, so I can use my trunk for other stuff I have, I do it only on a longer drives, it also saves me ~28% of the fuel and less noise on hwy speeds

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
Skitch home so as to not damage the fine interior nor waste 15 seconds removing the front wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE AUG 1ST 4:43 pm FL TIME... Now I have to eat Crow! Yes I do.. Its ok I can be very humble that way.The wheel did have to come off. Reason being was the handle bars. Even if you have over 69" of space with your seats down, does not matter. To get the bike in the car the front wheel has to come off. period. So there you have it! Now I go buy a bike rake to carry it around. Any one know of the better kind to get? Guess I am going to have to eat some Wheaties too! Bike is heavy! Thanks everyone for helping me!

RACK not rake... lol I need a glass of wine

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
Search is your friend:

Reactions: Samuelx

·
Registered
138 Posts
The inexpensive trunk deck mount I had damaged 2 previous cars. So if you go that route, make sure it's a good one like a Saris that's not going to dent and scratch your car. Hitch mounts are good, but you may as well put the money towards a modern, lightweight bike. The riding experience is night and day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now that I have my bike home and I have also purchased my doggie pull behind trailer now I need the bike rack. Do I need to get a hitch first I suppose? and is one bike rack better than another? I have a 2019 Honda Sport Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts