Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Transporting bike inside the car

12K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  CTR FTW 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 Honda Accord and this weekend I need to go pick up a bicycle I bought. It is a long drive and I really don't want the trunk open bringing it back if possible. I put the seats down in the back and it looks like I could get away with getting the bike in there whole since I would not know how to remove a wheel if I wanted to... Does anyone know if they think I have a chance in getting my bike home? Over 2 hrs away. It is a Women's 26" Schwinn.

#2 ·
Yes, but remove the front wheel. Schwinn started in Chicago a million years ago and if there is one thing I know- it is the Schwinn bike. Many models have a quick release for the front wheel- no tools needed. If it is some recently made in China Schwinn, then you might need to bring an adjustable wrench.

Watch out for the pedals- they can tear seats, trunk carpeting, etc....bring an old towel to wrap the pedals up.

BTW, if it is a vintage Schwinn, props to you. They are well made and can easily last 100 years. Not the lightest bikes, but so over-engineered. There is a place called "Working Bikes" in Chicago, and every now and then I go there to buy a Vintage Schwinn. Proceeds helps people in need.

#3 ·
A front bicycle wheel either has a conventional nut, or, a quick release lever depending on the age of the bike. Find out which type it has and bring along an adjustable wrench, just in case.
You can do it...You're a woman...here you roar!
(This reply brought to you by Helen Reddy)

#6 ·
I'd bring an old blanket to wrap the entire bike, not just the pedals after you remove the front wheel. You don't want chain grease getting on carpets or seats, and gears, handlebars, brake grips etc can all damage/scratch the inside of your car too.

And you certainly don't want to scratch the paint on the bike, especially if it's a vintage model!

And put a towel or wide cloth over the entire lip of the trunk and rear bumper before you load the bike so you don't damage that area either.

#7 ·
Front wheel has to come off, but it's easy to do if it has quick release levers. Don't forget to release the brake cable or it'll be hard to pull the wheel off. A full size road bike will fit easily in the Accord's closed trunk, with the seats down. Put a piece of cardboard down so the bike can slide on top of it.

#8 ·
Gosh I was so hoping not to have to remove the front wheel. I have the measurements for the Schwinn bike and the only thing that really worries me is the handle bars. They are 37" across. and the Trunk bed area that can't be moved is 18". I know the rest will fit. I have over 69" to play with

Why do you think the wheel has to come off? I have over 69" to play with?

I'd bring an old blanket to wrap the entire bike, not just the pedals after you remove the front wheel. You don't want chain grease getting on carpets or seats, and gears, handlebars, brake grips etc can all damage/scratch the inside of your car too.

And you certainly don't want to scratch the paint on the bike, especially if it's a vintage model!

And put a towel or wide cloth over the entire lip of the trunk and rear bumper before you load the bike so you don't damage that area either.
Dam it I am going to show you guys up. I just can't believe that with this much room in my back area with the seats down that I still have to remove the front tire? Whyyyyyy

You may have to remove the front wheel. Remove it in any case because it will be much easier.

I am not removing that front wheel if I have to stomp my feet and scream in the parking lot! lol

I just do not believe that I have to remove the front wheel? That does not make sense to me. Please someone enlighten me for I don't get it. I am however worried about the handle bars being 37" but not the wheel. Please I need an answer ASAP! Going over 2 hours and being by myself in an area that I don't know is just not a good thing. Thank you for your help!

PS and NO I will never do this again! lol.. But By Golly I am gonna get my bike Come Hell or High Water!

#9 ·
Here's why it may have to be removed...go lay a bike down...so, if you remove the wheel, the handlebars can then be turned so that they are almost parallel to the top tube. Then you know the handlebar's width is no longer an issue. This is yet another reason quick release levers were invented. Because the wheel is removed, the wheel's diameter is also not an issue.

#13 ·
You can always do what one sadistic neighbor did to teach his son, Billy, a lesson about not leaving the bike in the middle of the driveway. He forced Billy to look outside the window and then ran the bike over to flatten it. Billy learned alright. Learned good....Billy learned that a bike can be flattened to fit inside a small garbage can.

Don't do that to a vintage Schwinn, though. That is not nice.

I have three vintage Schwinn bikes. On my Spirit (1981 bike), it does NOT have a quick wheel release. I take out my adjustable wrench, loosen the wheel's nut, and then use the quick brake release. So it takes me 15 seconds to remove the front wheel.

On my 1975 Artic White Super Sport with Belgium wheels, I have a quick release for both the front wheel and brake- it takes me 10 seconds to remove the wheel.

Go to YouTube and watch bike thieves remove front wheels- some of these guys can do it in 6 seconds. It's really not a big deal.

You can go to Irv's Bikes or to Rudy's Bikes- both in Chicago. They have been selling Schwinn's for over 50 years- you can always get a quick release front wheel to save you those 5 seconds and the need to carry a wrench.

Reactions: jkd77433
#17 ·
UPDATE AUG 1ST 4:43 pm FL TIME... Now I have to eat Crow! Yes I do.. Its ok I can be very humble that way.The wheel did have to come off. Reason being was the handle bars. Even if you have over 69" of space with your seats down, does not matter. To get the bike in the car the front wheel has to come off. period. So there you have it! Now I go buy a bike rake to carry it around. Any one know of the better kind to get? Guess I am going to have to eat some Wheaties too! Bike is heavy! Thanks everyone for helping me!

RACK not rake... lol I need a glass of wine

#18 ·
Search is your friend:

Reactions: Samuelx
#19 ·
The inexpensive trunk deck mount I had damaged 2 previous cars. So if you go that route, make sure it's a good one like a Saris that's not going to dent and scratch your car. Hitch mounts are good, but you may as well put the money towards a modern, lightweight bike. The riding experience is night and day.

#22 · (Edited)
A trunk mount, strap-on rack will be less of an expense than getting a hitch added, and then getting a hitch-mount rack. Most trunk mount racks are made to work with either a sedan trunk, or with an SUV or hatchback back end, but require some adjustments to adapt to the trunk or rear hatch profile/shape.

REI stores carry some different types in the stores, with more assortment online. Performance Bike is a chain of bike shops that usually has at least a few different kinds of trunk-mount racks in stock. Independent bike shops probably have fewer choices, but may be worth checking out,

Saris is a good-quality brand, but other brands can work just fine, as well.

Once you get a rack adjusted/fitted to your car, it should be pretty quick and easy to put it on and off. It is also good if the rack is small enough to stow in the trunk, at your ride site, so no one is tempted to take the rack, itself. And, generally speaking, you can't open your trunk with the rack on.....

Here is a link to Saris' Trunk-mount racks, and they have a little tool to put in your car info. Most of their trunk-mounts will fit, but it also shows some "fitting tips" for your car model. Saris has three or four "levels" of trunk-mount racks, with a pretty broad range of pricing. The "Bones" and "Bones EX" lines are what I usually think of, as being "Saris-type" racks. Their cheaper line is more like the "generic" racks that others make.

#23 ·
I just recently purchased a Saris Bones 2-bike trunk rack for my daughter's 2001 TL. It does work pretty well, however, if it was going to be installed on a new car, I think I would install PPF on the trunk lid and rear bumper to protect it from scratches.

#24 ·
A side note, I think the center support beam that extends on the trunk lid may be too long for the 10th gen Accord. I think the foot of the support beam will press against the rear window, which may not be ideal. It might be fine, but I wouldn't want to risk cracking the window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.