Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently drive a 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a MT. I'm still a learner manual transmission driver with about 6000 km driving standard.

I can shift smoothly between gears except going from 1st to 2nd.

After some experimentation, I found two ways to make it smooth, but they seem wrong:
  • While transitioning from first to second, apply a tiny bit of throttle.
  • Let the RPM drop dramatically until it matches second gear. However, that results in the car slowing down.
I let out the clutch very smoothly.

How can I ensure a smooth transition?

Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do it by continuing to give it gas momentarily as I push in the clutch to go from 1st to second. That way the RPM hangs a bit while you shift and by the time you're in gear and beginning to let off the clutch, the rpm's are dropping down to the match 2nd.

It just takes some practice either way.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,688 Posts
I just gave up on getting smooth shifts. I just pull the lever in and out of gear with no care.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
How can I ensure a smooth transition?
There is one more thing you can try other than the obvious git gud; Double clutch, which is how you shift with a transmission that does not have synchros. You will see it helps, but gets boring soon and you will go back to your old ways because this is real life, and there are drivers behind you who don't know what a transmission is.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Change to Amsoil for your transmission. Do a search for the benefits and user experience after draining Honda manual transmission fluid (which is very good) and refilling with Amsoil synchro transmission fluid. You'll find a lot of Honda owners have made the switch after dealing with shifting issues and report good results.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There should be no special care or technique needed between any gears (except don't shift into "R"ace while in 5th - many gear boxes won't allow this. I digress).

Some boxes may feel a little "notchy" between some gear and another, no biggie. Drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"
I do it by continuing to give it gas momentarily as I push in the clutch to go from 1st to second. That way the RPM hangs a bit while you shift and by the time you're in gear and beginning to let off the clutch, the rpm's are dropping down to the match 2nd.

It just takes some practice either way. "

Just went out for a drive earlier and this really seemed to do the trick. It's still not very natural to me but I've been doing it one step at a time until it clicks and it perfectly smoothed out the shift. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just gave up on getting smooth shifts. I just pull the lever in and out of gear with no care.
This is what I do...and I'm a 30-year, multi-hundred thousand mile manual driver. That rev hang when accelerating into second feels really strange, but I've stopped worrying about it. Adding a little gas does make it smoother, but IDGAF anymore. :) Cheers!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with the other posts. Don't beat yourself up if the shifts aren't perfect. The transmission in my old 2004 6-6 was incredibly hard to operate smoothly, and it was a source of great frustration. My best advice is to accelerate to about 3,000 RPMs. In my current Accord, this appears to be the sweet spot, because when I shift into 2nd gear, the RPMs will drop and fall right in the rage of where they should be to be in 2nd gear smoothly. I will go above 3,000 RPMs if i'm starting out from a stop on a hill, as I'll need a little more power to make sure the RPMs drop to the range for 2nd gear. Just remember one thing: your car isn't going to be ruined because of flawed shift. I still mess up, and i've been driving manual transmission cars for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tip: Learn to double-clutch your downshifts.

Especially useful for quick & smooth multi-gear downshifts when you want quick acceleration.

Done properly, the gear shifter moves easily & quickly, almost effortlessly engaging the lower gear.

Combined with an aggressive gas pedal, you'll feel a rush of smooth acceleration that doesn't happen with single-clutch downshifts.

Watch & learn from a pretty girl...
Notice that this technique is more than just blipping the throttle (rev-matching).

You actually clutch & shift & engage neutral, then blip the throttle, then engage the clutch again to shift to a lower gear.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Start with a specific speed & RPM:
Let's say you are driving in 1st at 15mph, what is your RPM? Let's say 4200 RPM.

Now shift into 2nd, and accelerate/brake until you are at 15mph again. What is your RPM now? Let's say 2100 RPM.

So during shifting, you are are transitioning from 4200 down to 2100 RPM. But, you also have the throttle position to consider. Quarter, half, wide open throttle? This affects your shifting too.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd, let off the throttle until the RPMs drop below the 2nd gear target of 2100 RPM instead of trying to match it exactly. After you're in 2nd, let out the clutch gradually while also increasing the throttle so that you have a smooth forward transition.

The key is you want to have your throttle open and RPM climbing slightly when the clutch engages, not dropping as this will jerk the car.

Practice at this RPM until you're comfortable, then try lower and higher RPM shifts. Best of luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with the other posts. Don't beat yourself up if the shifts aren't perfect. The transmission in my old 2004 6-6 was incredibly hard to operate smoothly, and it was a source of great frustration. My best advice is to accelerate to about 3,000 RPMs. In my current Accord, this appears to be the sweet spot, because when I shift into 2nd gear, the RPMs will drop and fall right in the rage of where they should be to be in 2nd gear smoothly. I will go above 3,000 RPMs if i'm starting out from a stop on a hill, as I'll need a little more power to make sure the RPMs drop to the range for 2nd gear. Just remember one thing: your car isn't going to be ruined because of flawed shift. I still mess up, and i've been driving manual transmission cars for a while.
My old 2004 Acura TSX 6 speed was similar. The forums for that car blamed the first and second gear ratio differences, if i remember correctly. Maybe the new Accord has a similar design.

·
2020 best year
4,212 Posts
This sounds like a problem with rev hang.

If you blip the throttle, it probably is cancelling out the rev hang and makes the RPM drop normally. Otherwise, you have to wait for the RPM to get stuck for a bit before it will drop, and that takes time.

I am not sure how 10th Gen rev hang works, but if it's anything like 8th Gen, it won't happen when the engine is cold or if you are driving spiritedly when the engine has warmed up(5k+RPM or so in my experience). Try paying attention to when the rev hang happens next time.

You can get a tune to get rid of the rev hang. I live with mine because my car is temporary, but if I am keeping it for years to come, I would definitely get a KTuner to get rid of it. It eats into the driving experience. If you don't want a tune, you will have to live with your workaround.
Tip: Learn to double-clutch your downshifts.

Especially useful for quick & smooth multi-gear downshifts when you want quick acceleration.

Done properly, the gear shifter moves easily & quickly, almost effortlessly engaging the lower gear.

Combined with an aggressive gas pedal, you'll feel a rush of smooth acceleration that doesn't happen with single-clutch downshifts.

Watch & learn from a pretty girl...
Notice that this technique is more than just blipping the throttle (rev-matching).

You actually clutch & shift & engage neutral, then blip the throttle, then engage the clutch again to shift to a lower gear.

Enjoy!
The only times I double clutch are when I am upshifting and skipping gears(for example, a redline 2nd and then directly to 5th), as I have to wait for the RPM to drop anyway so there is enough time to perform it, or when the car can't get into reverse because most cheaper cars don't have synchros on reverse and they are straight cut gears. Try listening for a whine whenever you are backing up in reverse.

Downshifting, I never bother with it. Get some high quality MTF and don't worry about it.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shift earlier. I have been driving a standard for years and my 1st --> 2nd was not as smooth as I liked. I found the sweet spot to be 3000 rpm or less (unless you are purposely in a hurry).

·
2020 best year
4,212 Posts
Shift earlier. I have been driving a standard for years and my 1st --> 2nd was not as smooth as I liked. I found the sweet spot to be 3000 rpm or less (unless you are purposely in a hurry).
Shifting earlier helps as the RPM difference between gears will be smaller, but IMO on Hondas it's more about releasing the clutch slowly thanks to the rev hang.

I never double clutch up or down. It’s unnecessary.
About the only times double clutching is necessary:

• You drive a classic car without synchromesh
  • You have a broken synchro ring on a gear
  • You can't get into reverse gear if your reverse gear doesn't have synchro
Otherwise yeah, I don't think it's useful. A properly designed and maintained manual gearbox that's not abused should last the lifetime of the car anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never double clutch up or down. It’s unnecessary.
Of course double-clutching isn't necessary on a modern car. That's what the transmission synchronizers are for, right?

Knowing that your manual transmission vehicle uses synchronizers, you may think there is no point in understanding how to double clutch. There are still specific scenarios, however, where it can be useful...

Like when you're slowing in stop-and-go traffic, and you need to engage 1st gear. Or when you're downshifting from 6th to 4th (or 3rd), for passing slow vehicles on a 2-lane highway.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,688 Posts
I just drop the gear, I don’t double clutch it. If you’re worried about the synchros, just hit each gear down briefly.

Reactions: neuronbob
1 - 20 of 38 Posts