Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trunk Lid Opens While Parked

2018 Honda Accord Touring - CVT. Several times I've returned to my parked Accord to find the lid of my trunk OPEN. Anyone else seeing this issue?

·
Registered
979 Posts
2018 Honda Accord Touring - CVT. Several times I've returned to my parked Accord to find the lid of my trunk OPEN. Anyone else seeing this issue?

No, you park too far away for me to see your car. Sorry.

If you park it closer to me, I'll be on the lookout though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Junk in your pocket is pushing buttons on your remote, specifically the trunk button in this case.

I suggest you either:
  1. Keep the remote out of your pocket,
  2. In a pocket (without the keys) by itself, or
  3. Put your remote & keys on a quick release Carabiner D-Ring attached to your belt loop.
Otherwise, you can expect something worse, such as finding your windows and/moonroof mysteriously opened during a rain storm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I was tripping but I noticed the same thing on my car. I backed into the parking spot in the parking deck. When I came in and turned my car on it said my trunk was open and I didn't even open it. I have the 2.0t sport.

·
2018 LX
119 Posts

It’s you! Happened to me several times before I figured out it was because I was hanging my key fob on my front belt loop and when I sat down, the trunk button was being pressed. Now I hang it on a side belt loop, problem solved. Surprised at the range the remote has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
<snip> Surprised at the range the remote has.
<snip>
We have had to adapt over the last 5 years in going from our '04 SAAB 9-5, where the remote has no more than a 20-25 foot range (SAAB did that on purpose, for security, explained in owner's manual). Then we wen to the car our Accord is replacing, a 2013 VW Passat TDI, which was MUCH longer. I think the Accord is as long range as the VW, possibly longer. As some have indicated, it's reason for caution. We've been using fob covers with the VW anyway, so I already have them for the Accord. Cheap and effective, for the same reason as a case for a cell phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord 1.5T. When i close the trunk and drive and hit a bump i hear a loud noise from the trunk, like a clicking sound. Yesterday the trunk opened by itself. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord 1.5T. When i close the trunk and drive and hit a bump i hear a loud noise from the trunk, like a clicking sound. Yesterday the trunk opened by itself. Anyone else have a similar issue?
First, you are assuming that your loud noise from the trunk is connected to the trunk opening, and that may not be the case.
We just returned from a vacation, and one day I noticed that our Accord's trunk was open, just sitting in a relative's driveway. Under the rubric that "once is accident, twice is enemy action," I'm assuming I pressed the fob inadvertently and set it off, so I'm saying "accident." The car is close to the house, and these fobs have a pretty good range.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,154 Posts
Early 9th gens Sport would have their trunk open randomly overnight.

In your case, it sounds like it's happening when you drive over rough surfaces. It's possible that something is loose and not holding well. Try closing the trunk, put down your rear seats, and see if you can open it from the inside by pushing and hitting it slightly.

·
HK Moderator
13,425 Posts
^Exactly. The key FOB might be hitting the side of the door as he drives over rough surfaces, and the button may be getting pushed.

Also, his key FOB may be getting shorted out as it is exposed to rain, snow, heat, road debris, etc....

·
193 Posts
I jumped with my key fob in my pocket into the pool last week lol

Thankfully it still works.
I took the battery out, and left it in front of my mini fan overnight. Next day it worked just fine.

·
2018 LX
119 Posts
My experience has shown me that the key fob trunk release button is easy to activate. I've had my trunk unexpectedly open while the key fob was in my front pocket and hanging from a carabiner on my front belt loop from setting down. Since I moved the carabiner to a side belt loop I have had not one unexpected trunk openings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did notice (when I heard the noise a few times) that if you hit the trunk lock button and you do not open the trunk, but instead start driving it, the trunk will re-lock if the trunk lid hasn't opened too far. I had actually hit it when I thought it was the auto start button next to it. It was nice that it relocked it instead of making me get out and do it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts