Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue a few times now. I park the car in my garage. Make sure everything is locked and the next day, I go to take my car out and the trunk is open. I am VERY careful with the fob. It happened again when I want to the supermarket. I made CERTAIN my car was locked. When you press the lock button on the fob, it beeps. It will NOT beep if the trunk is open.
I came out of the supermarket and the trunk was ajar.
I kept thinking it was me accidentally hitting the key fob, but it's not. I've been extremely cautious especially now that this is happening. Not all the time mind you, but it happens and I'm now afraid to leave anything in trunk,

RickBlaine. He means the pocket on the inside of the door. Not the manual key hanging out of the keyhole on the outside of the car.
I keep the fob in the console where the cup holders are. It happens to me,
WORSE YET is that when I leave the car, lock the doors and make certain that the trunk is locked, I come out the next day and the trunk is open,
It happens when my car is off and when I an nowhere near the car,
Since it['s been happening, I've been EXTRA careful the moment I pick that fob up from my living room table and walk out to the car. There is NO way that I am accidentally hitting the trunk release button on the fob.
It seems more of an electrical issue than a mechanical issue.,
When the trunk is locked, you can pull it as hard as you want and it will not open,
As I said earlier, it opens when the car is parked, engine off and no one near the car or the fob.
At this point, I'm sure it's a defect and we'll be hearing more about it from others,

·
Registered
92 Posts
At this point, I'm sure it's a defect and we'll be hearing more about it from others,
This happened to me twice in one day 6 weeks ago...at two different jobsites. I had left my keys in the same place I always leave them; never had this happen before or since, so I thought somebody had probably played a joke on me (4 or 5 of the same people at both jobsites). Not so sure it was a joke now.

Reactions: tonynyc

·
Triangle wins
2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T 6-speed manual
47 Posts
My 2018 Sport - trunk found open at least 6 times in the 3 months I've had it. Parked at different houses, but never during a drive. Could be accidental pocket presses, but the trunk button is very small, recessed, and must be continuously pressed 2 full seconds to activate, so an accidental press every 2 weeks on average seems excessive to me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trunk opens by itself randomly while parked

I have a 2018 Accord EX-L. My trunk keeps randomly opening up while it is parked. I park the car somewhere publicly or at home, and the trunk just randomly opens. When I come back to my car the trunk is randomly open. My other key fob is in the house far away from where the car is parked. Should I take it in to the dealership, or is there nothing they can do about it.

·
2018 LX
161 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord EX-L. My trunk keeps randomly opening up while it is parked. I park the car somewhere publicly or at home, and the trunk just randomly opens. When I come back to my car the trunk is randomly open. My other key fob is in the house far away from where the car is parked. Should I take it in to the dealership, or is there nothing they can do about it.

Been there, done that. It's you, if you keep your key fob in your pocket or a front belt loop. My issue went away after I hung my key fob on my side belt loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
On my '16, there's a master trunk switch on left edge inside the glove box. I presume the Gen 10 has this switch too.

Can't open the trunk with either the fob or the button on the trunk lid when that switch is off, but at least I know it won't open unintentionally. I just use the release next to driver's seat to open the trunk...

·
Registered
125 Posts
"Early 9th gens Sport would have their trunk open randomly overnight"

My 2014 9th gen has this problem, I disconnected the trunk lock and open it manually,
there was a thread on this issue under 9th gen, dealer reprogrammed remote but it didn't help

·
Registered
356 Posts
What I wondered about is whether the trunk-open signal sent by the key fob is somehow more "generic" and less coded, than is the door unlock (and lock) signal.

Presumably the door unlock and lock signals from the key fob are coded well, to prevent then from working on some other nearby Honda. But is it possible that the trunk-open signal ISN'T as well coded, and works on other nearby Honda's?

If so, maybe what is causing unexplained trunk openings is other Honda owners nearby, opening THEIR trunks.

If this is what is happening, then presumably the unexplained trunk openings would only take place in parking lot situations where other people (other Honda owners) would be apt to also use their trunk-open button.... Like grocery story parking lots, or maybe office-building parking lots, etc.

I had a weird situation at one time with my garage door opener being activated by someone else's garage door remote. I had a "rolling code" garage door opener, but when I programmed it to work with a Homelink button in one of my cars, it somehow went from rolling-code to a fixed signal (that was also being used by someone else in my neighborhood). I was having random garage door openings for a week or so, until I figured out how to program the Homelink to preserve the rolling-code signals....

Just a thought (and/or random speculation.....) Maybe someone with two recent Honda vehicles can do an experiment, on "cross trunk opening". (Not that there's anything wrong with that....)

·
Registered
682 Posts
All nonsensical responses aside.... I have to hold the trunk pop button for two seconds to pop the trunk on my 2017. I also keep the fob and keys in my pocket without issue. I also can’t use any of the button functionality on the fob when the car is on.

While it’s funny to blame the OP, this is a serious issue! The OP’s should make sure the body bag is zip tied so no one escapes and snitches.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
^ @InTotalAccord Hell of a good thought....

Reminds me of the days before immobilizers- an engineer from early 1990s lovable General Motors admitted that all of General Motors (Corvette being the exception) had just 150 key combos. Theoretically, if you had a remote airport parking lot, a couple of nighttime hours, and a copy of each of GM's 150 keys- you get a car!

·
Registered
356 Posts
As another anecdote, I have an old Vette ('59) where if the ignition switch is located straight up (vertical), the car turns off, and you can remove the key. But the ignition isn't actually locked. It's just off.... So if you remove the key, you can still turn on and start the car later, without the key, just by turning the ignition switch "bezel", with no key inserted.

To actually lock the ignition switch, you have to turn the key to the left, one more notch (which used to be the "accessory" position on most older American cars).

I didn't realize this when I bought the car, years (decades) ago, so for maybe 6 months I was basically leaving the car with an ignition switch that could be turned without the key.... (And sometimes with the top down, as well.) Not good! But, it never was stolen, so no harm was done.

On the other hand, even if the ignition switch was in the "locked" position, all you had to do to "hot wire" the car was to reach up under the dash, move a wire to a conveniently-provided extra terminal lug on the back of the switch, and then use a paper clip to touch over to the starter terminal.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda Civic, and the same thing has been happening to me, multiple times. I took it to the dealer, who said it was my mistake. I watch the car and the key carefully, and do not make mistakes. My guess is this is a software glitch or similar problem on the part of Honda. To deny the problem, or blame it on the customer, will only result in legal action in the future. Honda should institute a recall, and fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda Civic, and the same thing has been happening to me, multiple times. I took it to the dealer, who said it was my mistake. I watch the car and the key carefully, and do not make mistakes. My guess is this is a software glitch or similar problem on the part of Honda. To deny the problem, or blame it on the customer, will only result in legal action in the future. Honda should institute a recall, and fix the problem.
It's an unusual problem (which, by definition, shouldn't necessitate a recall) that will require patience until the dealer can duplicate the problem. This is necessary, even if the owner swears that they don't make mistakes.

Incidentally, this problem is so prolific that this thread has been dormant for 8 months, with the exception of your post about a Civic with the issue.

Side note -- if you're able to get the service writer to include "CUST. STATES THEY DO NOT MAKE MISTAKES" on the repair order and post a photo of it here, I'll gladly send you this custom made coffee cup as payment for a job well done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A recall has to be a safety problem (as in personal injury).

Play around with your key fob by tossing it around, lightly touching/holding the trunk button, etc. If there's a manufacturing flaw, the button leads might be touching and activating the transmitter. If that doesn't work, put that key fob far away inside the house and drive with the other key fob from now on. See if the problem disappears.

If the problem disappears, your original key fob is bad and you can tell your lawyer he's eating compliments of Chef Boyardee this week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A recall has to be a safety problem (as in personal injury).

Play around with your key fob by tossing it around, lightly touching/holding the trunk button, etc. If there's a manufacturing flaw, the button leads might be touching and activating the transmitter. If that doesn't work, put that key fob far away inside the house and drive with the other key fob from now on. See if the problem disappears.

If the problem disappears, your original key fob is bad and you can tell your lawyer he's eating compliments of Chef Boyardee this week.
Thanks so much. Wonderful comments. :)

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
lol, this made me laugh....if Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Let's bring this discussion to solid ground. Setup a camera. Park your car with the trunk facing the camera, put both keys within field of vision. Capture the moment the trunk pops with keys untouched. Let the shenanigans ensue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's definitely from the key fob buttons accidentally pressing in the pocket. I have this key guard on my other FOB which solved that problem, but have not found one for the Accord yet. I'll bet it would be a big seller.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
There are a bunch of key fob protectors listed for Gen 9 and Gen 10 Accords over at Amazon. So have a look at them. I put one on my '16 (smart entry) fob to stop the trunk opening or doors getting unlocked when the remote was in my pocket.

And I just got a "universal" case for my pocket-size garage door remote which is on my house keychain because having that remote in my pocket was making the garage door open. I can see and press any of its 3 buttons without opening the case. Problem solved...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts