Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are a bunch of key fob protectors listed for Gen 9 and Gen 10 Accords over at Amazon. So have a look at them. I put one on my '16 (smart entry) fob to stop the trunk opening or doors getting unlocked when the remote was in my pocket.

And I just got a "universal" case for my pocket-size garage door remote which is on my house keychain because having that remote in my pocket was making the garage door open. I can see and press any of its 3 buttons without opening the case. Problem solved...
How would those Amazon fob protectors prevent the buttons from being depressed accidentally? They're covering the old buttons, but are still press-able. The zip up universal protector would work, but makes the key fob huge.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
How would those Amazon fob protectors prevent the buttons from being depressed accidentally? They're covering the old buttons, but are still press-able. The zip up universal protector would work, but makes the key fob huge.
The buttons are slightly recessed when you put a cover on the Accord fob, and that reduces the chances of pressing them inadvertently. When it's in my pocket, that extra depth is enough to prevent the buttons from getting pressed.

The universal one is big, but I couldn't find one designed specifically to fit my pocket garage door opener which is about the same size as my Honda fob. Not ideal, but better than nothing when it comes to accidentally opening the garage door. There were times when I just tossed my house key+fob on the table and the garage door opened.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, can verify the Amazon (Coolbesta) key cover does help the accidental button push problem a lot. There's a sheet of plastic covering the buttons that makes it harder to press. Not an absolute fix, but probably good enough. Thanks, Ronch.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
You're welcome.

Boy, that's one fancy fob case. Mine is the plain black silicone one without anything covering the buttons. But the silicone is thick enough to stop accidental button pushes.

Either way, problem solved!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've stood at the back of my 2019 accord and pushed the trunk button all the way in. It will not open. But if I push and hold it a few seconds it will. It takes a bit to open it in other words. My keys will be laying on the table for hours and I go out of the house and trunk is open. Car was locked and keys put on table. It is not the operator. It is something in the car when your keys are not touched for hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've stood at the back of my 2019 accord and pushed the trunk button all the way in. It will not open. But if I push and hold it a few seconds it will. It takes a bit to open it in other words. My keys will be laying on the table for hours and I go out of the house and trunk is open. Car was locked and keys put on table. It is not the operator. It is something in the car when your keys are not touched for hours.
You might do what I did: replace the key you are using with a new spare key, and see if it helps., Knock on wood, I haven't had the issue occur again after I did this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might do what I did: replace the key you are using with a new spare key, and see if it helps., Knock on wood, I haven't had the issue occur again after I did this.
DITTO. Have walked out to an open trunk on several occasions. This is not anecdotal. Keys are in hand upon exiting vehicle, then subsequently placed on key rack. There aren’t any other Honda’s within range and no pranksters. Just a faulty system. I’ve owned other Honda’s with the same FOB and never experienced this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am constantly locking the doors or popping the trunk open without intending to do so. I have come out in the morning to my trunk wide open and/or my doors locked. About once a week I get in my car and the trunk pops as I get in. I carry my key fob separate from another set of keys and my wallet in my front pocket but have never had an issue with any other fobs. is this an issue for anyone else? Does anyone make a sheath or protector that covers the buttons completely? I never use the buttons and only need it to be present for the car to start. I have seen many fob protectors but don't know if they would help keep the buttons from getting pressed. Thought about putting it in backwards? Silly problem I know but thought I'd put it out there just in case someone else has had the same issue. I'm also rather paranoid I'm going to come out after a rain storm to my windows rolled down from pressing the unlock by mistake.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@Ridered4583 : I keep my fob with my keys or my other fob plain old birthday suit and I've never had an issue whether in my pants or coat pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The trunk often opens spontaneously. I see others have the same problem, but do not see solutions. If you've figured out how to solve this problem please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
@ctbish - You didn't say what MY Accord you have.

Have you tried locking the trunk release lever down between driver's seat and door with the key ? On occasion, I've accidentally caught that lever with my shoe or pants leg opening and popped the trunk without realizing it.

Locking that lever means you'll have to open the trunk with either the fob or the button on the trunk itself, but that's not a biggie, at least not for me.

And keeping that lever locked also means a smasher/grabber won't be able to open the trunk after breaking the window and reaching into the car...

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was a constant issue for me. I was able to almost eliminate it by buying a cheap silicone fob cover off of amazon and placing the fob face down into it. All the buttons are covered but can still be operated as long as you know what is what. Cut back on unwanted button pressing by 99%. I have come out to locked doors only once since installing vs multiple times a week with open trunk/locked doors previously. This issue was without a doubt caused by how easy the buttons are to press and even more so by how much junk I have in my pockets at all times. Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having similar issues. Alarm keeps going off and the trunk is popped open. I would like to know what it is. I dont believe it is my key fob, being i have had this happed in my garage in the middle of the night. Not to mention during the day. I have replaced the batteries in the fobs, and even recived new fobs from the dealer. Still having issues. OF course the dealer saying they have never seen that before. 2018 civic ex. Thank you

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am having similar issues. Alarm keeps going off and the trunk is popped open. I would like to know what it is. I dont believe it is my key fob, being i have had this happed in my garage in the middle of the night. Not to mention during the day. I have replaced the batteries in the fobs, and even recived new fobs from the dealer. Still having issues. OF course the dealer saying they have never seen that before. 2018 civic ex. Thank you
Where are your two key fobs when this happens? You mention that it has happened when the car has been in the garage in the middle of the night. Where do you keep the fobs at that time? Do you hang them up? Is one of them maybe in a a purse or a bag that could be on the floor where a pet might step on it or something like that?

The reason why I ask is because my Accord's trunk has mysteriously opened exactly once in the five months that I've owned it. I hang my keys on a hook in the kitchen. My wife keeps hers in her purse- not that she ever really drives the car. My wife also keeps a little bag of Sweet Tarts in purse (she has them in there in case my blood sugar ever drops too low). The morning I saw that my trunk was opened, I came back in the house and asked my wife is she had popped the trunk- she said no. I asked her where her purse was- thinking that maybe our son played with the key fob or something. Nope- she had left her purse on the floor of the kitchen and the dog had sniffed around and picked up the scent of the candy. There were wrappers on the floor- and I'm guessing that the dog pushed on the key fob somehow when they were trying to get the candy out of the purse.

I could see how the fob button could also get easily pressed if it were in the wrong part of her purse when my wife set it down on the counter, or table, or floor. I've set off the alarm just sitting down with the key fob of a car in my pocket... either something else in my pocket or my body must have pressed against the panic button.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
@Rschultz - Even if it is an accidental key press on your fob, that shouldn't set the alarm off if/when the trunk pops opens.

When my '16 Accord is locked, pressing the trunk button on the fob doesn't trigger the alarm. Pressing the alarm button on the fob triggers the alarm but that doesn't open the trunk.

So something else must be going on here. Two buttons being accidentally pressed might be a pet problem. Or maybe you've got rodents gnawing on the car's wiring inside your garage?

You might get yourself one of those Faraday pouches and put the fobs inside when you're home and see if that stops the problem. At least that should tell you if it's a fob transmission issue or something wrong in the car's alarm and/or remote lock/unlock systems...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts