Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the best way to do the trunk release. I assumed that in order to use the button on the trunk, you had to have the key FOB so many feet from the trunk, however I am able to walk out to my car and use it without the key FOB present. I turned whatever switch off the the glovebox, but then my only option is to use the manual lever on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What do you mean "walk out to your car"? Thinking back on how mine has operated, I seem to recall the trunk release works if the fob is in the car. But, if I leave it in the house and walk out to my car in the garage, it won't. Seems to be distance-related, but I don't know the crucial distance.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The button shouldn't release if the fob isn't near the vehicle. Can you open the doors without the fob, too? The range on the proximity sensor should only be a few feet. You don't keep the extra fob in the car anywhere, do you?

·
Registered
512 Posts
The button shouldn't release if the fob isn't near the vehicle. Can you open the doors without the fob, too? The range on the proximity sensor should only be a few feet. You don't keep the extra fob in the car anywhere, do you?
^ This.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Appropriately, imo, if the car is unlocked the trunk release will operate without the fob present.

Edit: Far as I know this is how other vehicles work also. To me it's intuitive. Would have been a surprising annoyance to find it works any other way. At home, my car lives unlocked in the garage and the key fob normally rests inside on a kitchen counter top about 40' away. Having occasionally locked the car when in the garage and then not having the release work when I tried to open the trunk, I know it will not open with car locked without the fob present.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
^^ He's right. Just checked this. Hadn't noticed this operation before. OP, are you SURE your car is being locked? Do you use the remote fob or the button on the door handle to lock it when you park??

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's really very simple:

1. If the doors are locked, you must have the FOB within proximity of the car to open the trunk and/or doors.
  2. If the doors are unlocked, you do not need the FOB to open the trunk and/or doors. The FOB could be a 100 miles away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts