Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a fan of CVTs. I know some do. That's great. They are not for me. I am looking for an accord or civic with a 4 cylinder and traditional automatic transmission. What years am I looking for?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
The last year for the traditional automatic transmission in an Accord is 2012 (8th gen) for a 4cyl. The last year in Civic was 2013, and in case you are wondering that is the last year also for the Fit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: derass

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
Unless you are thinking "turbo".....the 2018+ Accord with the 2.0T engine (not the 1.5T) has a traditional automatic trans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is some really good info. I am not interested in a turbo, so if I understand you right there are some 2018s out here that have a 4cyl and traditional automatic.

Thank!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
That is some really good info. I am not interested in a turbo, so if I understand you right there are some 2018s out here that have a 4cyl and traditional automatic.

Thank!

No.

The 2018 Accord only comes with a 4 cylinder engine.

The Hybrid's 4 cylinder engine is a 2.0 liter, but is naturally aspirated (no turbo). Technically, it does NOT have a transmission. There is an epic thread on the transmission debate in the hybrid sub-forum.

The 1.5T has a turbo, and only comes with a CVT or a manual transmission.

The 2.0T has a turbo, and only comes with a traditional automatic or a manual.

If you don't want a turbo, then look at the hybrid. Or, if you don't want a turbo and you must have a traditional automatic transmission, then you are as @greg1c said....the 2012 was the last year of an Accord with a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated engine with a traditional automatic transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did not intend to get in to the detail, but I will share. I am asking this for my nephew who is looking for either a Accord or Camry. My wife had a 2007 V6 Accord and loved it. She wanted a new car. We were very disappointed in Honda pushing turbos and CVTs. I am not debating how fast they are. We simply don't like how they feel. Especially in a parking lot or off a light. Remember, our 2007 was a V6. We like the instantaneous response from the accelerator even at low rpms. Just what we are used to. For those reasons we ended up buying a new Camry. We actually like the styling of the Accord better. But. So, my nephew is now looking for a used car. He feels the same way about CVTs.

Thanks for the info. I can search the years you stated.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I would not call the 2.0t with automatic a traditional automatic, that 10 speed is a way different feel, but it is not a CVT. To tell you the truth I forgot the 10th gen 2.0t had the 10 speed, as this post was in 7th gen, it threw me off.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Your choices are limited for anything relatively new so unless your are willing to flex, another brand is an option for something that is newer than 5 years old. I think the Civic is available with a 2.0 naturally aspirated and a manual. I'll never get another CVT unless it's in a hybrid. Yes, an e-cvt is not a CVT but they don't shift gears.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I'd also look for a late 8th gen V6 or i4 if that's your/his primary concern, the CVT.

If the nephew wants to spend north of $24K, yeah, get the '18.
but if, for example, he's entering college and saving money...go get an 8th gen, as it's time tested, and there are plenty good used ones out there that will still go well over 200k miles.

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
For those reasons we ended up buying a new Camry.
You and a whole lotta other people. The turbo and CVT thing scares many a people, and for them, the next logical move is a Camry. My buddy who sells Toyotas hears it every week.

I would not call the 2.0t with automatic a traditional automatic, that 10 speed is a way different feel, but it is not a CVT. To tell you the truth I forgot the 10th gen 2.0t had the 10 speed, as this post was in 7th gen, it threw me off.
Agreed, I was just thinking "non CVT". It made me nuts when the 2018 came out, Honda called the CVT an "automatic transmission" in much of their literature and on their "build your Accord" website.

Your choices are limited for anything relatively new so unless your are willing to flex, another brand is an option for something that is newer than 5 years old. I think the Civic is available with a 2.0 naturally aspirated and a manual. I'll never get another CVT unless it's in a hybrid. Yes, an e-cvt is not a CVT but they don't shift gears.
And the hybrid is one heck of car. People getting 50 mpg+ and plenty of power. But again, it is an e-CVT which in that thread I referred to, is not really a CVT nor a traditional automatic.

We live in fascinating times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd also look for a late 8th gen V6 or i4 if that's your/his primary concern, the CVT.

If the nephew wants to spend north of $24K, yeah, get the '18.
but if, for example, he's entering college and saving money...go get an 8th gen, as it's time tested, and there are plenty good used ones out there that will still go well over 200k miles.
I thought of the V6 as I know they will have no turbo or CVT, however, he will want the i4 for MPG. I will have a look at the 2018.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Accord EX 4-6 MSM
85 Posts
The 9th gen V6 has a traditional 6-speed automatic transmission. I know you said you’re looking for an i4, but I mention this because you said you did enjoy the pep (there’s a pretty wide power gap between i4 and V6) and the 3.5 V6 actually gets very, very comparable has economy. You’re looking at 32-35 mpg+ in the i4 and 30-34mpg+ in the V6. So there’s some good trade offs there.

·
2020 best year
4,153 Posts
Personally I have driven a 2.0 Civic with CVT and I liked it. IMO you should at least give it a chance and test drive the car.

The 9th gen V6 has a traditional 6-speed automatic transmission. I know you said you’re looking for an i4, but I mention this because you said you did enjoy the pep (there’s a pretty wide power gap between i4 and V6) and the 3.5 V6 actually gets very, very comparable has economy. You’re looking at 32-35 mpg+ in the i4 and 30-34mpg+ in the V6. So there’s some good trade offs there.
It depends on how and where you drive. In city the gap between the two will widen quite a bit. On highway the gap will likely be smaller with the VCM of V6.

Also, V6 has a timing belt that needs to be maintained down the line so keep that in mind.

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Get a 2004 Toyota Corolla if by traditional AT you mean a good ol' 4-speed sludge box from the 80s where the tach needle would have to sweep a wide arc. Nowadays the standard is 8 or 10 speed gearboxes, which will do a great job keeping the engine rpm on or near the sweet spot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the mpg specs on the v6 vs 4. I will keep it in mind. As for a 2004, I don't see him going back that far. He buys a car and keeps it forever. So, he needs to get one with reasonably low miles.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I always enjoy the posts about V6 fuel mileage being nearly the same as the 4cyl. Maybe true on a constant cruise and VCM, try fuel mileage in stop and go or normal traffic. VCM is very annoying and has caused nothing but issues with oil consumption.

I own a CVT and in constant cruise nothing is smoother and it will get 40mpg at speeds under 80.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually don't care about the mileage. Just like the feel of the V6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not a fan of CVTs. I know some do. That's great. They are not for me. I am looking for an accord or civic with a 4 cylinder and traditional automatic transmission. What years am I looking for?
For the Accord, it would be models prior to 2013. Those didn’t have CVT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, 5 speed may feel like lacking a gear or two especially with 4cyl that hs no torque below 2800rpm, I get by with the stock 2,100rpm stall torque converter and is one of the major reasons why I bought a 2012 in 2019. The other major reason is port fuel injection (as opposed to direct injection).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually don't care about the mileage. Just like the feel of the V6.

OK. You keep saying you like the feel and instantaneous response of the V6. Understand with the 2018+ 2.0T you can change the personality of the car significantly with the Sport mode button. If you haven’t tried it, you need to try it. You will be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts