Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp is spiking here in the South.

My 2000 Accord 4cyl, auto is having an issue with the air conditioner. On EXTREMELY hot days the only way to cool the cabin is Recirc. I can cool things down, turn it off and drive for a while but the temp creeps up. If I happen to hit traffic lights it is as if there is no air. Once I get out of town and get up to speed it does better but I have to hit RECIRC to cool the cabin.
Low side pressure is okay and both fans are running when I looked under the hood w the AC on. When I drive to work in the morning it is cooling just fine.

Ideas?

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
The temp is spiking here in the South.

My 2000 Accord 4cyl, auto is having an issue with the air conditioner. On EXTREMELY hot days the only way to cool the cabin is Recirc. I can cool things down, turn it off and drive for a while but the temp creeps up. If I happen to hit traffic lights it is as if there is no air. Once I get out of town and get up to speed it does better but I have to hit RECIRC to cool the cabin.
Low side pressure is okay and both fans are running when I looked under the hood w the AC on. When I drive to work in the morning it is cooling just fine.

Ideas?
If you are in the Humid south (east of mid-Texas),this is to be expected. When you bring in fresh air, the process of dehumidifying the high dew point, hot, tropical air costs you 10 degrees. Put it on recirc and you are cooling air that already has been dehumidified. You can take it in and make sure you have the right amount of freon, as AC is less efficient if it is either over or under charged. Even if you need to correct the amount of freon in the system, I'd still use recirc when it's humid outside.

Also make sure nothing is blocking airflow in front of the condenser.

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
im from the south and my ac works fine with out recirc, maybe a blend door/trap to bring in fresh air could be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When was the last time that you replaced your cabin filter ? You might want to look at the condition of the filter. I would also suggest connecting a set of gauges to the high and low side service ports to get a true picture of what you are dealing with in your system. Look at a temp and pressure chart to then help determine your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts