Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the oil leak posts and I didn't find anything similar to my problem so I'm posting. I just got this noticeable oil leak on my 1998 Accord LX this weekend. The oil is definitely coming from the little hole from the transmission cover on the bottom of the engine that I assume is a drain whole for this kind of leakage. The oil only comes out when the engine is started & running. I don't see oil leaking if the engine is not started and there's no oil I can see leaking from the top of the engine. The car has just over 200K miles so I'm Hoping this is a common high-mileage Accord problem and someone knows the fix and how much will it cost me if I had it fixed by a mechanic. I've done other repairs on my Accord so does this fall under a DIY job that I can do myself, and what's the procedure to do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If no oil is leaking down from the top of the engine, its probably coming from the rear crankshaft seal. The transmission needs to be removed to access that seal, so lots of labor $$ involved. If the leak not too bad you might try some high mileage oil to see if that slows it down, unless thats what you are already using. The cold weather seems to make small leaks worse also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If no oil is leaking down from the top of the engine, its probably coming from the rear crankshaft seal. The transmission needs to be removed to access that seal, so lots of labor $$ involved. If the leak not too bad you might try some high mileage oil to see if that slows it down, unless thats what you are already using. The cold weather seems to make small leaks worse also.
it's more than a little leak so I don't think high mileage oil will work here. It only leaks noticeably when the engine is running though. I'm going to remove the trans cover so that I can hopefully pin-poin the exact leak and I'll let you know what I find.

thanks for the reply

·
4,637 Posts
I had to have my rear main seal replaced at the dealer for $750 with 80k miles on it. But Honda corp paid half the bill. I'd use some Valvoline MaxLife 5w30. It helped me when I had 135k miles and the car started to consume oil. It's about the same price as conventional. I used a quart to top off with and no more consumption. I also replaced the pcv valve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to have my rear main seal replaced at the dealer for $750 with 80k miles on it. But Honda corp paid half the bill. I'd use some Valvoline MaxLife 5w30. It helped me when I had 135k miles and the car started to consume oil. It's about the same price as conventional. I used a quart to top off with and no more consumption. I also replaced the pcv valve.
I currently use that Mobile 1 Extended Performance fully synthetic 5w30. I've been using it in this Accord for years now. It's expensive but i figure if I want to get more life out of the car, this is a cheap way to do it. It says it's guaranteed for 12 months 15K miles. Never thought about the pcv valve replacement. I guess that's something I can do after i fix this seal leak where it is. It all depends on the cost. I'd like to drive this thing until my wife starts working again... maybe another yr.

·
4,637 Posts
The EP is very good oil. However, I'd run at least one oci with the MaxLife and top off with it as well. Then you can go back to the EP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i have another follow-up question. looking in the Haynes manual for the removal of that cover plate (engine stiffener plate) the oil pan butts right up against the rear main seal retainer plate. if i remove that cover plate, will I be able to definitively pin-point the oil leak being either the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled off the engine stiffener plate, I cleaned up all the oil residue around the oil pan & I put UV oil dye in the engine & after I ran the engine a few minutes I could clearly see the oil leaking from the half circle lip area of the oil pan where the oil pan butts up against transaxle. When I put the UV light on that area, I clearly see the oil dye. My question is whether this definitively means the leak is the oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you can clearly see the oil is leaking from the pan gasket and not running down from the rear main seal directly above it, then thats your leak. I've not had the problem, so I dont know if its possible to tell the difference without pulling the transmission.

Another approach is to go ahead and change the pan gasket and see if that fixes the leak. If it still leaks, you will then know its something else most likely the rear main.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got back under the car with a small mechanics telescoping mirror & the UV light again and I was able to see the UV oil dye above the oil pan gasket line, so I confirmed it was the rear main sea leaking. I called around to 5 repair shops in the East Orlando area and 4 out of 5 came back with repair estimates between $593 - $650 but one shop came back with $350 cost to repair. The shop that quoted me $350 has also replace the timing belt on this same Accord 2 yrs ago, so they've good work for me. I haven't had any problems since then. I'm going to drop it off Thurs and I'll let you guys know how it worked out for me with this repair for so cheap. I made sure he's going to use the Honda OEM rear main seal as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car is finally repaired. I picked it up yesterday from the shop and its running great so far without any oil leak. They showed me the warn out rear main seal they took out and it was shot. They complete that repair for $350 out the door ($332.50 labor + $18.50 for the seal). Anyone needing that kind repair in East Orl look up VMP Auto Service on North Goldenrod Rd. They've replaced the timing belt on this same Accord 2 yrs ago so they have a good track record with me and they guarantee their work of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts