Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its time for a brake job on my 2005 EX-L V6 w-nav. I recently moved, to CT from FL. I had good experience with dealers in the past, was never much more than local shop. But I just called the closest deal to me here, and they quoted my almost $1100 for a brake job (new pads and rotors all around). Considering we just got my wife's subaru forester done (at a subaru dealer no less) for ~$600, I am amazed they quoted me this high...

Sooo...maybe I'll just have to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Definitely do it yourself. The rotor set screws can be a PITA, but saving bunch of money will make it worth your time. I bet you can get all parts for under $200.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Definitely do it yourself. The rotor set screws can be a PITA, but saving bunch of money will make it worth your time. I bet you can get all parts for under $200.
+1

i had to drill out the factory rotor screws. just do the brakes yourself, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've started doing more and more of my own maintenance, and am slowly building a set of tools. The last addition was a 4-ton floor jack from Milwaukee Hydraulics!

The great debate is now should i use all OEM parts or something from the aftermarket. I am a little heavy on the brakes, warping in the front has always been a problem for me. Any recommendations? Brand and place to buy?

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Any recommendations? Brand and place to buy?
I've had no problems with my centric rotors and akebono ceramic pads. tirerack sells them for a good price. You can cross shop ebay, rockauto.com, and a few others. You may save a few dollars, depends on how much you like to save. :) I think the front pads were less on ebay, while the rears were less on rockauto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had no problems with my centric rotors and akebono ceramic pads. tirerack sells them for a good price. You can cross shop ebay, rockauto.com, and a few others. You may save a few dollars, depends on how much you like to save. :) I think the front pads were less on ebay, while the rears were less on rockauto.
Looks like that combo would be ~$300 including shipping, for ~$50 more I could get the Brembo blanks. Are they worth it?

Also considering the R1 Concepts blank or slotted and Axxis pads. Since I will be saving money by doing the work myself, I am willing to put some of it back into better parts, if they are really worth it.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
That is indeed excessive. Either seek out other shops or do it yourself. There's no need for a sore ass along with new brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Looks like that combo would be ~$300 including shipping, for ~$50 more I could get the Brembo blanks. Are they worth it?

Also considering the R1 Concepts blank or slotted and Axxis pads. Since I will be saving money by doing the work myself, I am willing to put some of it back into better parts, if they are really worth it.
I've never heard complaints about brembo blanks.

From what I remember R1 Concepts are good, along with Axxis pads. The only thing I would warn is that (I think) Axxis pads may wear faster depending on the "model" you get since they are usually more aggressive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've never heard complaints about brembo blanks.
I have Brembo blanks on my Civic and I hate the fact that the hub(?) of the rotors rusts. Never had that happen on the OEM rotors. I'll try to take some pics.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
I have Brembo blanks on my Civic and I hate the fact that the hub(?) of the rotors rusts. Never had that happen on the OEM rotors. I'll try to take some pics.
Hmmm, I though "all" rotors rust there? Unless they're treated with something. My oem rotors are rusted there.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
All rotors rust. Not much you can do about it other then paint the hub. The paint will flake off over time and it will eventually rust anyway though.

·
6,322 Posts
Considering we just got my wife's subaru forester done (at a subaru dealer no less) for ~$600, I am amazed they quoted me this high...

Sooo...maybe I'll just have to do it myself.
If you don't want to do the work yourself esp in the cold weather consider taking it to your Subaru dealer. Most dealers around here work on all makes since they are eager for business. One phone call and you will know. Plus when they sell trade ins those cars are usually worked on so they are safe for the road. Point being they should be familiar with other popular makes. You found a shop that is not greedy so I would give them some business.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't want to do the work yourself esp in the cold weather consider taking it to your Subaru dealer. Most dealers around here work on all makes since they are eager for business. One phone call and you will know. Plus when they sell trade ins those cars are usually worked on so they are safe for the road. Point being they should be familiar with other popular makes. You found a shop that is not greedy so I would give them some business.
Thought about doing that. My wife and I work in opposite directions from home, each about 25 miles, and the subaru dealer is close to her workplace. I was hoping to find something close to home, or work, so I don't waste too much time. I've gotten a couple of family recommendations, but none close to home...My garage in unheated, and uninsulated, but seems to be staying in the mid 40's. Maybe this is a good excuse to talk to the wife about insulation and a garage heater...haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I called a couple of part dept at Hond adealers. At the dealer that quoted me $1100 to do the brake job they wanted $100/rotor for the front and $86/rotor for the rear. So your talking almost $400 just for the rotors...I am starting to figure out how they got to $1100....

So I called another dealer, they wanted $109/rotor for the front and $95/rotor for the rear....

Am I just unrealistic in my price expectations?

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
So I called a couple of part dept at Hond adealers. At the dealer that quoted me $1100 to do the brake job they wanted $100/rotor for the front and $86/rotor for the rear. So your talking almost $400 just for the rotors...I am starting to figure out how they got to $1100....

So I called another dealer, they wanted $109/rotor for the front and $95/rotor for the rear....

Am I just unrealistic in my price expectations?
Nope. Stealerships and brake places rape people all day on brake jobs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts