Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Low Gear
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from another forum. TSB 13-078 just came out 10/8/13. V6 only.

Anyone got a print out?

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,397 Posts
not seeing anything on google yet. may want to check back in a few days, once the internet starts talking about it more.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Call a dealer and ask about it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can download it using the instructions in the “Honda Accord Factory Direct” > “Honda Service News” section of this forum. Or you can just wait for your notice as stated in the TSB, and I quote....

TSB 13-078
Warranty Extension: MIL Comes On With DTCs P0301 Through P0304
(Supersedes 13-078, dated October 8, 2013, to revise the information marked by the black bar)

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a class action
settlement notice regarding this warranty extension
starting in October 2013.
Before doing work on a vehicle, verify its eligibility by
doing an iN VIN status inquiry.
Refer customers seeking information about settlement
benefits to www.enginemisfiresettlement.com, or instruct them to call 888-888-3082

This is delightful, the piston rings are rotating themselves and aligning at the gap, therefore creating the oil loss. This can happen at any time. There is a good chance that extending the warranty to 8 years will not offer any help, especially for a vehicle like mine that will see very low miles over that time period, and then fail afterwards.

Oh, it gets better....They are "fixing" the the problem, and here it comes.....by reusing the old pistons and adding new rings and calling that repaired. I am speechless.

Honda....never, ever again. One nightmare after the next.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
From another forum where I got this from.

http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=49204363&postcount=26

Tech said, Honda is not giving them enough time to do this properly (only 7 labor hours). So they will most likely rush it or half as it.
therefore once oil additives breaks down (at around 3000miles
Is he incompetent? The crappiest oil in the world will last longer than 3k miles and still have a functional additive package.

Anyways, can you shortcut removing the engine by dropping the oil pan, removing the crankshaft, and pulling the pistons?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Link does not work
Nothing like giving the customer a link that does not work. Same quality control as their engineering.

I guess they will have to issue a third TSB to supersede the second TSB that was issued to supersede the first TSB.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys!
I was looking to post this new important information for all V6 accord owners as well.
I also got that Service Bulletin info from the Honda-tech website.
Stating for Accords: SB 13-078
and Pilots SB: 13-082.
As most v6 owners know. This is a major issue with VCM and ECO mode, and having to do with misfire...blah,blah,blah...

I had this problem show up recently in my accord. The code was for misfire in cylinder#1.
Took it to the dealer, they replaced 4 sparks plugs! only..i dunno why not change all 6??:dunno:
I spoke to the service manager, he showed me the service bulletin. And it only mentions to change 1-4 Spark plugs:dunno:
I also got the firmware update to the ecu, it helps with oil burning consumption problem.
All done for free!!! my Honda has 95k miles on it. Covered under Honda extended warranty, I guess..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yeah, it only covers the spark plugs that prematurely fail. the other two are your responsibility for replacement at the scheduled interval - 105,000 miles.

the pistons are re-used, yes, but the ring grooves are thoroughly cleaned with a nifty tool. this is probably the best way to go since it removes the risk of the tech messing up wrist pin removal and installation.

the problem isn't from the rings rotating and causing oil to seep past them, it's from the rings seizing to the piston and not doing their job. anyone who has done this job repeatedly pre-bulletin knows this.

the engine block does not wear abnormally either, although it can. and if we find scratches in the block you would get a new block - warranty. if there is no damage you don't need a block, your block is still in pristine condition. your pistons will be removed (rear bank only) cleaned, re-ringed and re-installed. it's a solid repair.

·
Banned
395 Posts
I love my 7.5 gen J30A5 "GT V6"

At 140k, I am on original plugs and good semi-synthetic oil. I use oil cause I am Always in Vtec.

·
Registered
327 Posts
the problem isn't from the rings rotating and causing oil to seep past them, it's from the rings seizing to the piston and not doing their job. anyone who has done this job repeatedly pre-bulletin knows this.
I was just going by what I read in the TSB that was just released a couple of days ago, and I quote:

"The piston rings on certain cylinders may rotate and
align which can lead to spark plug fouling. This can set
DTCs P0301 through P0304 and cause the MIL to
come on."

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Is there a tsb for the i4? In 3 weeks I have to add a quart
sure is, been there for ages....

SB 12-087

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the oil
warning light may come on in rare high oil consumption
situations.
POSSIBLE CAUSE
Under certain specific circumstances the engine may
create deposits on the oil control rings, which may lead
to increased oil consumption when all of the following
conditions occur simultaneously on a regular and
prolonged basis:
• The engine is cold (not warmed up to operating
temperature)
• Hard acceleration while the engine is cold
• The fuel used has an unusually high concentration of
particles - Honda recommends using Top Tier gas
that contains detergents to prevent deposits. For
more information about Top Tier gas, go to
www.toptiergas.com.
All these conditions happening at the same time are
rare, but if they do occur, deposits may form over years
of driving under these conditions. If the oil control rings
begin to stick because of the deposits, the customer
may subsequently complain about excessive oil
consumption.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Do the oil consumption test and, if necessary, replace
all the engine pistons and the piston rings

VEHICLES AFFECTED
2008–09 Accord L4 M/T – ALL
2008–10 Accord L4 A/T – ALL
2010 Accord 2-Door L4 M/T
From VIN 1HGCS1...AA002051 thru
1HGCS1...AA018407
2011 Accord 2-Door L4 A/T
From VIN 1HGCS1...BA000007 thru
1HGCS1...BA012195
2010 Accord 4-Door L4 M/T
From VIN 1HGCP2...AA012263 thru
1HGCP2...AA168741
2011 Accord 4-Door L4 A/T
From VIN 1HGCP2...BA000010 thru
1HGCP2...BA097742
From VIN JHMCP2...BC000018 thru
JHMCP2...BC000037

if you don't burn more than 1qt in 1,000 miles Honda will lol at you and say it's normal though.

they'll tell you to first change the oil with them and return in 1,000 miles for inspection and go from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
honestly, if your engine is consuming oil under 60000 miles, and they say its "normal" like what they told me, just pull the drain plug for a quick second and let that half quart out before you go in for your 1000 mile check. I went back in for my first 1000 mile check and lets just say I didn't drive my car home. lost it for about 5 days and got back a rebuilt engine at 50000 miles. kinda shitty but oh well. oh and had new plugs thrown in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are 2013 accord affected by this? Don't they have almost the same V6?
The guys in the 9th gen forum could probably give you a better idea. Also, I haven't read a ton about it, but a quick look at the Wiki page for the J35 engine seems to indicate something is different with the VCM in our J35Z2 compared to the newer J35Y1.

//Edit: relevant article

1 - 20 of 47 Posts