Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Does anyone have a low pitched humming noise coming from the rear after completing this recall? I seem to have developed this humming noise after my dealer performed the recall and I absolutely hate it. The noise is very obvious when the car is idling. The noise gets slightly louder when you rev it at idle.
It is the fuel pump. If the humming stopped you'd be even more upset.

·
Honda FanBoy Since '02
136 Posts
Living in California, I would have just waited for your annual smog check to put it back to stock, then take it in for the recall. Looks like it's a bit too late, now,
Well, the car wouldn't be due for its first smog check until 2022, or 5 years from either in-service date or production date (not sure which). New cars don't get smogged annually until they're somewhat older.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a low pitched humming noise coming from the rear after completing this recall? I seem to have developed this humming noise after my dealer performed the recall and I absolutely hate it. The noise is very obvious when the car is idling. The noise gets slightly louder when you rev it at idle.
Re: 2017 Accord V6. Yes, I have the same issue. However, the humming noise is only noticeable at a cold startup. The dealer said the noise is caused by fuel pressure buildup when the car is first started. The noise seems to go away either the car is put into gear and/or the engine is warm.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Went to the dealer with my '15 V6 A Coupe with 46.5K for the recall 2 days ago.
Never had any problems, and was out in ~1.5 hours.
Other comments:
Orig front brakes still good (rears done ~ 10k miles ago)
tires = rear 9mm and front 7mm (I do my own rotations with OEM wheels = for winter / aftermarkets = summer
Told them I did the trans drain and fill @ ~ 32k.

·
CVT
885 Posts
Guys I have K-Tuner. I have flashed my car 10 times playing with the DBW since the update. There is NO problem at all. The Honda recall flashes a part of the ECU that controls when the fuel pump runs at half speed or full speed. After the recall it runs at full speed all the time. The K-Tuner software flashes parts of the ECU that control DBW, ignition timing, V-tech, rev limits and all that other stuff. It does not change or mess with any part of the recall program. Fuel pump still runs all the time at full speed even after flashing my car 10 times since the update. The fuel pump only ran at half speed while VCM was on. So IF you have K-Tuner and you turned VCM off you were already running your fuel pump at full speed to begin with. I knew this. But I had the recall done so if or when I sell the car and take my K-Tuner off the new owner would have the update on the car. So flash away with or without VCM on your fuel pump will run at full speed.
@ Taz69, do you know if this recall requires dropping the gas tank, or is it simply some sort of software update to address the potential fuel pump issue?

·
Honda FanBoy Since '02
136 Posts
I know I’m not Taz but I had the recall done. They will inspect the fuel pump housing (it’s accessible from underneath the rear seat, no need to drop the tank). They will also reprogram the ECU to eliminate the low speed mode, I believe, which should eliminate the potential for gumming up the pump

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to reset the ECU so that the software update from the Recall is erased and the fuel pump performs like it did when new?

·
Honda FanBoy Since '02
136 Posts
Personally, I’m not sure I understand why you would want to do this. If you have a 6/6MT, it sounds like there’s really not much of a difference in action before or after the recall, so why not just leave it alone? If you have an auto trans, it seems like you’re putting your car back into the higher risk category for developing the contamination that was the reason for the recall in the first place. While you could consider the strategy of flashing back to stock with a KTuner loaded with an older-style “stock tune”, I cannot conclusively tell you this will change the fuel pump settings from their post-recall baseline. Maybe another member knows better the inner workings of a stock flash...

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
KTuner tunes do not have any affect on how the fuel pump runs. You can't "reset" this update as it is a firmware update and once updated the previous version no longer exists in the car. Not sure why you want want to revert anyway, the update was issued as a recall for a good reason.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,688 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
KTuner tunes do not have any affect on how the fuel pump runs. You can't "reset" this update as it is a firmware update and once updated the previous version no longer exists in the car. Not sure why you want want to revert anyway, the update was issued as a recall for a good reason.
I want to reset it as the EMF (Electromagnetic Field) in the car have gone up 10 times since the recall was performed on the car, as personally measured by my equipment. I would rather have the car stall than die from a brain tumor! So, you are saying it is impossible to change it back?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not so sure about that... check version 1.0.9.2

13-17 Accord V6
  • Tunes Updated For Fuel Pump Recall Change

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I'm not so sure about that... check version 1.0.9.2

13-17 Accord V6
  • Tunes Updated For Fuel Pump Recall Change
I just downloaded that version. I think it accommodates the recall change, I don't think you can actually change how the fuel pump functions or undo the recall update. I see nothing in the software that lets you adjust the fuel pump performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After getting the ECU update for the recall, I started noticing slight hesitation when accelerating. Not sure how I can truly describe it but when accelerating, the revs goes up in steps as if something is holding it at some points. This does not happen when revving up stationary - only happens when getting on road (transmission?).

I can’t tell if this is related to the update but it started happening after it. Already explained to the Honda service and they said the usual; no error code and everything looks fine.

2017 Sedan Touring at 35k miles with extended warranty. All maintenance are done above %10. Has not done any transmission fuild replacement even though services has been recommending me the last 2 oil change.

What could be the issue? i’d appreciate your inputs, thanks

·
500k or bust!!!
16,797 Posts
After getting the ECU update for the recall, I started noticing slight hesitation when accelerating. Not sure how I can truly describe it but when accelerating, the revs goes up in steps as if something is holding it at some points. This does not happen when revving up stationary - only happens when getting on road (transmission?).

I can’t tell if this is related to the update but it started happening after it. Already explained to the Honda service and they said the usual; no error code and everything looks fine.

2017 Sedan Touring at 35k miles with extended warranty. All maintenance are done above %10. Has not done any transmission fuild replacement even though services has been recommending me the last 2 oil change.

What could be the issue? i’d appreciate your inputs, thanks
Honestly, I've had this issue with all of the K24's I've owned.

Current car, acceleration is smoother after valve adjustment.

Have the valves ever been done?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
FINALLY had this recall done on my car yesterday. I have KTuner, but I've been running the factory tune for the last month or so as I didn't want there to be any kind of conflict between the KTuner flash and the factory software update.

Anyway, having grown accustomed to the joys of driving with VCM again (ugh), the first thing I noticed after the update was that VCM is now MUCH smoother in operation while driving in cold weather. It's been pretty cold here in NC the last few days, with highs only in the upper 30s/low 40s. In this kind of weather, I've always found VCM to be obnoxiously coarse to the point that it vibrates the entire car and makes a loud, deep humming sound that seems to come from everywhere in the interior. And no, it's not an issue with my particular car because my 2014 exhibited the exact same behavior, and I find it highly unlikely that I bought two defective cars in a row. Ambient temperature has a very strong influence on the smoothness of VCM's operation, especially below freezing, and driving to the dealership yesterday in 30 degree weather meant it was on its worst behavior.

Leaving the dealership, the outside temp was still in the 30s but when VCM engaged for the first time I immediately noticed that the rumble/vibration was nowhere near as pronounced as before. I can still hear it a bit and feel some vibration, but it's much more tolerable now.

Has anyone else noticed this after having the recall done?

·
CVT
885 Posts
FINALLY had this recall done on my car yesterday. I have KTuner, but I've been running the factory tune for the last month or so as I didn't want there to be any kind of conflict between the KTuner flash and the factory software update.

Anyway, having grown accustomed to the joys of driving with VCM again (ugh), the first thing I noticed after the update was that VCM is now MUCH smoother in operation while driving in cold weather. It's been pretty cold here in NC the last few days, with highs only in the upper 30s/low 40s. In this kind of weather, I've always found VCM to be obnoxiously coarse to the point that it vibrates the entire car and makes a loud, deep humming sound that seems to come from everywhere in the interior. And no, it's not an issue with my particular car because my 2014 exhibited the exact same behavior, and I find it highly unlikely that I bought two defective cars in a row. Ambient temperature has a very strong influence on the smoothness of VCM's operation, especially below freezing, and driving to the dealership yesterday in 30 degree weather meant it was on its worst behavior.

Leaving the dealership, the outside temp was still in the 30s but when VCM engaged for the first time I immediately noticed that the rumble/vibration was nowhere near as pronounced as before. I can still hear it a bit and feel some vibration, but it's much more tolerable now.

If the change in the VCM performance you described is universal, I am looking forward to getting my recall done. As the VCM creates "excessive" vibration when temperatures drop below 32 degrees. As you stated, the VCM vibration becomes more apparent when temperatures are in 40 degree range.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I don't know what happened to my response from couple of days ago.

Are you sure that your "vibration noise" is vcm related, rather than torque converter being locked up ??
At what speeds are you experiencing this vcm issue? I've read that vcm kicks in in fairly high speed. The torque converter is exhibiting strange behavior at any speed as long as RPMs vary from somewhere between 1250 to about 1700. Is what I noticed and matched the description behavior vise to the tsb.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't know what happened to my response from couple of days ago.

Are you sure that your "vibration noise" is vcm related, rather than torque converter being locked up ??
At what speeds are you experiencing this vcm issue? I've read that vcm kicks in in fairly high speed. The torque converter is exhibiting strange behavior at any speed as long as RPMs vary from somewhere between 1250 to about 1700. Is what I noticed and matched the description behavior vise to the tsb.
That's odd that your response would disappear...hmmm

Anyway, I'm positive that the majority of the noise and vibration is VCM-related. When I disable VCM with KTuner, the noise and vibration almost completely disappear. I say almost, because I do get some vibration when the transmission is lugging the engine in 6th gear at 1200 rpm or so. But that's normal. My old K24Z3/5AT 8th Gen would vibrate like crazy when the engine was lugging in 5th gear at around 1200-1300 rpm. Now that I think about it, that car under those conditions was almost as harsh as VCM on a cold day.

I've actually found that the VCM buzz is at its worst between about 1500 and 1900 rpm in 6th, when ambient temperatures are below 50. In warmer weather, VCM operation is a lot smoother and quieter in my experience. While I can feel the most vibration in 6th between 1500 and 1900 rpm (45-55 mph?), I've noticed VCM engaging as low as 20 mph while gently cruising around my neighborhood. It will even engage in 'Sport' mode at 3500-4000 rpm as long as I'm light on the throttle.

KTuner is the greatest "mod" I could've gotten for this car. I didn't mind VCM as much when I had a longer suburban commute with lighter traffic, but my new work commute has me driving in city traffic with lots of stoplights. In that scenario, especially in cold weather, VCM becomes a huge nuisance as it's constantly engaging and disengaging between lights. It's annoying, and the lag caused by the engine running on 3 cylinders makes the car feel strained whenever VCM is active. After getting the recall done, I updated the KTuner software on my laptop and flashed the ECU with a tune that disables VCM and improves the shift quality of the automatic transmission. The result is a much better driving experience in the city, with no VCM vibration and lag, and no more soggy/slurred upshifts from the transmission.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts