Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

TSB# 19-016 safety recall notice on 15-17 V6 Accord fuel pumps

66K views 201 replies 74 participants last post by  jwl337 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So yesterday i received a text message from my local dealership stating that Honda has issued a recall on the 2015-2017 Accords for an issue related to the fuel pump. It stated that the pump isn't supplying enough fuel and can cause the engine to stall. I have searched all around on the web to find more info on this recall and I haven't been able to find anything. I have even entered my VIN on both Honda and the NHTSA websites to see if there is a current recall and they both say that there are no recalls on my car. Just curious if anyone else has received a notice.

#2 ·
That be a heck of a way to get you to come in and see the new 2019s, while Marco in service gives you a courtesy check on your V6 during this "recall" and discovers thousands and thousands of dollars of needed repair work (oh the fuel pump is fine by the way) while Chad in sales says that he can get you in a 2019 today!

Then again, the dealer may be using the words "Recall, TSB, update, courtesy check, and repair" interchangeably....

Another member in the 10th Gen Hybrid forum just posted a letter where at the top, it was called a recall, and at the bottom of the letter, a TSB.

An actual RECALL is a big deal- there are not too many of them and Honda crosses their "T"s and dots their "I"s because the gumbit be watching.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there a topic or page with a list of 2016 V6 TSB list??

2016 EXL V6
I got the message from the "myCarfax" app on my phone. Googled it and found nothing. Called Honda and the friendly rep said that it was true, and came out today. TSB# 19-016. I'm sure tomorrow it will be all over the MSM that our Accords may catch fire!

I just got my 2016 EXL V6 in November. Only has 15k on it. What's funny is that this past weekend, I was showing off my remote start to a buddy, and when i remote started it, it ran for maybe 5 seconds, then died! 2nd attempt - no problem! Was kind of embarrasing!

#9 ·
I actually just dropped my car off today at the dealership for this "recall". They confirmed it would be done at no charge. The first step would be to check if the engine is indeed stalling and do a software update. They do not have the replacement parts on hand but that would be done if the software update does not resolve the issue (if there is one at all).
The dealership had actually pulled all their affected models off the lot in order to address the recall as well.

Attachments

#10 ·
I actually was at the dealership the day before it got published (the recall). So that day one of their personal called me at told that there is a recall regarding an issue with the fuel pump and that they have to update the software just, nothing else. Which they did.

#11 ·
I had my 2017 V-6 inspected yesterday (Feb 1st) and the DMV print-out included a Recall Notification. Like the OP, I had heard nothing from the dealership or Honda about it, and doublechecked by entering my VIN on the Honda site when I got home. The only description of the recall on the DMV paper is "N3X".

I figured I'd wait and see if the recall showed up on the Honda site this weekend, if they are lagging behind a bit. Sounds like I should call the dealership on Monday.

By the way, does the dealership do nav system updates for free? My car says mine is due but if I have to bring it in for the recall I may as well have them do it at the same time IF it's a freebie. Car was bought one year ago (January 2018) as a new leftover.

#12 ·
I just went in today for the recall. It took about an hour to complete, they only did a software update to my car.
Funny thing is I also asked if they could update my nav to which they responded with no.....

#14 ·
I got one from a nearby Honda dealer saying: "Hi, this is Gloria from Motor Werks of Barrington. I wanted to let you know that there is an open safety recall on your Honda Accord for the fuel pump. Please respond to this text message to schedule an appointment. Thank you. 19-016. Fuel Pump." I, too searched the web and only found your post. The VIN search turned up no recalls. I asked the dealer to send me a copy of the recall notice. I'll let you know if I get anything back.

#15 ·
Just called my selling dealer about this recall. At first the service dept clerk put in my VIN # and said "there is no recall on your car." I said, That's what I thought when I went onto the Honda site and searched the VIN, but there's at least one online forum where people are actually having this recall already addressed." She went to check with someone (I assume a service tech), came back and said that the first appointment she could give me for the recall is April 8th.

So now I am curious as to exactly WHAT the recall addresses and would really like to see what the actual recall notice says. You would think that a fuel pump issue should be something they shouldn't be okay with waiting 2 months to correct, but I got zero sense of urgency from the service dept. I booked the appointment but will probably call around to some other dealerships next week to see if I can get it done sooner.

Does anyone have a link to more specific information on the details of this? The Honda site doesn't show any TSBs or Recalls for the Accord in 2019 at all, yet.

It's like the "phantom recall", LOL

#31 ·
So now I am curious as to exactly WHAT the recall addresses and would really like to see what the actual recall notice says. You would think that a fuel pump issue should be something they shouldn't be okay with waiting 2 months to correct...
Is your car affected? By that I mean do you have instances where it hesitates or stalls?

This could of course be an emergency if you're in packed highway traffic in the left lane (with no breakdown lane on that side) at 120 km/hr and have to work your way over to the right breakdown lane with a dead engine... just unlikely.

On the CVT cars, what happens if the engine fails? Does it go to neutral automatically?

#16 ·
I just took in my 2017 Accord touring because the transmission and emissions error messages came on, after the car has been driving limp and kicking. I took it to one dealership and complained they claimed nothing was wrong and didn't tell me about the recall. I went to a different one when the error messages started and they performed the recall but no one told me anything about it. I was searching the internet as well but this thread is all that came up.

The technical bulletin is 19-016 or least that is what was on my receipt, it still does not come up if I search my Vin, and the saddest part is I'm not the first owner (this replaced a 2013) chances are I wouldn't have learned this anytime soon.

#17 ·
Took my 2017 V6 EX-L in to dealer today for an oil change and they told me about the safety recall. They then proceeded to lie to me about being able to fix it. They said there's a software update, but the update is shipped to them on a USB and they haven't received it yet so they can't install it. I refuse to believe this is true...there's no way Honda is distributing ECU updates via USB sticks. Right?!

#18 ·
No for real. That IS how the dealership gets them on a USB stick...

#19 ·
I have had my car for 3 years come this October. I have had K-Tuner on it since about 3,000 miles and I have had no issue and I am at 22,000. Since it is a "software update" they are going into the ECU and changing something in the programming that is turning the fuel pump off or random. The ECU does control "when" the fuel pump runs or its the PCM but a computer does the work. They are changing something in the cars "tune" There is nothing mechanically wrong with the fuel pump.

#21 ·
I've had my '17 since April of 2017 and I've never had any issues. I've also been running KTuner since the car had less than 300 miles on it.

I wonder if the KTuner software acts as a sort of "fix" for the issue, since it alters the fuel maps among other things?

Also, could this software update posibly affect my KTuner tune in any way? I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to flash back to stock before getting the update, just in case.

#20 ·
I just checked the owners site and here it is. I have not been contacted yet about it. moeSizlak asked if updates really come on USB sticks and the answer is yes. I have updated the navigation twice and the head unit once on my 2016 Accord Touring using a USB flash drive. The flash drive for the head unit update was purchased from a dealer and had a Honda OEM part number. If you do these updates the drives have to be formatted with the fat32 file system. I had to use a smaller 8gb flash drive for the Garmin nav. updates.

Attachments

#22 ·
TH23 I was thinking the same thing. I was just going to let them flash it with the K-Tuner on there. I dont think it would be a problem. What do you think.

#23 ·
I stopped by my dealership to get my back-up camera replaced under warranty (@ 35,500 miles, CLOSE ONE!) and they informed me they needed to do a software update for the fuel pump.
Car used to occasionally (every 25-50 starts) have trouble starting up and it always seemed like a lack of fuel making it to the cylinders, hasn't done it since.

#24 ·
This is what I got in HondaLink yesterday and it sounds like complete BS....

There is programming in the ECU to update to ELIMINATE sodium contamination in the fuel pump for free.

How in the hell are you going to eliminate a physical issue with a software update?

Anyway, off to the dealer to see what’s what....

Attachments

Reactions: jfuredy
#25 ·
I just went up to my dealer right now and did the update with my car and WITH my K-Tuner still loaded. Not a single issue took 30 minutes to do the update. Sandevino im a mechanic and im with you what can a software update do to keep sodium from clogging my fuel pump.. Something is not right with that but I had it done none the less. And with my K-Tuner on the car it was not a issue...

#29 ·
Good to know that everything went smoothly with the KTuner tune in place.

And yeah, I don't understand how a software update is supposed to fix a mechanical issue with the fuel pump. Something doesn't smell right...

My car was actually in the shop for another problem when my service writer came to me and made me aware of the recall, I had mine done on my 2017 Accord Touring, they said they would check and update software and replace fuel pump if needed, well they decided the software only, would work, ok it ran like new for a day , great as it should have ran, well after the first day it began again to almost come to a halt if you lifted your foot off the accelerator and acted like it was downshifting terrible, prior to this I complained several time to the dealer with no real fix, I think now that it is the actual fuel pump, I purchased the car new and it now has 32,000 miles with the symptoms getting worse, oh well if the do your recall with similar problems, you might insist on the actual fuel pump replace. I was disgusted and lol bought me a Lexus 460L, good luck on your endeavors.
This is why I'm going to hold off on getting the recall done until I get more info. This whole thing seems half-baked, like Honda isn't really sure what exactly is going on and is applying a software "band-aid" as a stop-gap measure.

I'm of the mind that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I feel like this software update could potentially cause more issues than it fixes, like in mack's case.

I'll get it done when it comes time for my next oil change this summer. I'm hoping that by then, we'll have enough owner feedback to determine if this update is completely safe and won't cause any undesirable side effects like those mentioned above.

#26 ·
My car was actually in the shop for another problem when my service writer came to me and made me aware of the recall, I had mine done on my 2017 Accord Touring, they said they would check and update software and replace fuel pump if needed, well they decided the software only, would work, ok it ran like new for a day , great as it should have ran, well after the first day it began again to almost come to a halt if you lifted your foot off the accelerator and acted like it was downshifting terrible, prior to this I complained several time to the dealer with no real fix, I think now that it is the actual fuel pump, I purchased the car new and it now has 32,000 miles with the symptoms getting worse, oh well if the do your recall with similar problems, you might insist on the actual fuel pump replace. I was disgusted and lol bought me a Lexus 460L, good luck on your endeavors.

#27 ·
#34 ·
That explains why my fuel pump is now audible than before the update.

Hi guys long time lurker here. I got 17 accord touring sedan, about 2 weeks ago I took my car in for service and they told there was a recently released recall for a fuel pump issue. I agreed to have them perform the recall but now I might be regretting it. Before the update my car was pretty peppy, now after the update not anymore and it downshifts constantly too. Ill be keeping my eye on this thread see how it develops.

#35 ·
I will say this. I looked at my K-Tuner when I got home. I noticed my car a little slower. I brought up my tune and all my timing and long and short fuel trims where reset. Like as if I had done a hard reset of the ECU. No big deal it will all slowly get faster like it was it is just the upload resets all your timing and fuel trims like it was new. Drive it like you stole it it will learn faster. They changed nothing in the "tune" of the car. It also reset the PCM "transmission computer" so it has to re-learn your habits and what not. It will take a tank of 93 octane to get it back to peppy as it ups the timing on the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.