Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
What, no one reads the post?
I am not sure what post you are referring to, but as others have mentioned, I received a letter from American Honda that extends the warranty on the DRLs on my 2017 Touring Coupe to 10 years, unlimited mileage. It also had a form I could send in for reimbursement if I had them replaced before I received the letter. Fortunately my DRLs have not been affected.

Reactions: Retrostarscream

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a letter in the mail dated June 2019
"Warranty Extension: Daytime Running Lights LEDs"

Heat from daytime running light (DRL) LEDs may damage the DRL lens. If the lens is damaged, it may appear that some of the DRL LEDs are not working. American Honda is extending the warranty on the DRL LEDs to 10 years with unlimited mileage from the original date or purchase.

This warranty extension will not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state's law.

The letter goes on to state if you have issues, go to any Honda dealer to have it replaced for free. Please plan to leave vehicle for at least 1/2 day to allow them flexibility to fix. If you paid for this work, there is a form to get reimbursed under Honda Warranty Extension 6H1.

You can always call the Customer Support & Campaign Center at 888-234-2138.

The Notice is under Campaign #6H1/Service Bulletin #19-042

I got the letter because their records show I am the current owner or lessee of a 2016-17 Accord or 2017 Accord Hybrid.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not sure what post you are referring to, but as others have mentioned, I received a letter from American Honda that extends the warranty on the DRLs on my 2017 Touring Coupe to 10 years, unlimited mileage. It also had a form I could send in for reimbursement if I had them replaced before I received the letter. Fortunately my DRLs have not been affected.
He’s referring to the post above his, as that member stated they had received the notice. That person’s post just reiterated the purpose of this entire thread, but as if the news from the Honda letter was something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
Just had the left side replaced this morning. Had the right side replaced a month ago. At least both sides are the same color now. When they start to turn yellow, you know they are about to go. Went to the local dealership this time, and was pleasantly surprised that it took less than an hour, and there was no up-sell this time. The other dealership took more than two hours, and tried to up-sell other maintenance work (besides the fact they left the coolant reservoir sitting against the fan shroud and exhaust). I asked but none of them seem to know if Honda plans to make changes to the headlights, so the DRLs last longer. I don't mind having new headlights every 2 and a half years, but it seems like this is going to cost them a lot of money over 10 years, especially on the touring headlights. I'm not exactly fond of sitting at dealerships either. Anybody know if they plan to make changes, so they last longer?

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,811 Posts
I'm at 31K on my 2017. No signs of yellowing or failure. However my Accord is parked in the garage both at work and home and rarely is out in the elements. I wonder if these failures are related to UV / heat damage?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I've seem quite a few burnt out in Ohio, so summer heat probably can be filled out as there states with much more heat year round especially summers. As for the 10 years and expenses for Honda, think about it, lots of vehicles will get sold second hand and new owners would not be aware of it or would not care that much for "old" car. People have tendency to keep cars 3-7 years then upgrade.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just had the left side replaced this morning. Had the right side replaced a month ago. At least both sides are the same color now. When they start to turn yellow, you know they are about to go. Went to the local dealership this time, and was pleasantly surprised that it took less than an hour, and there was no up-sell this time. The other dealership took more than two hours, and tried to up-sell other maintenance work (besides the fact they left the coolant reservoir sitting against the fan shroud and exhaust). I asked but none of them seem to know if Honda plans to make changes to the headlights, so the DRLs last longer. I don't mind having new headlights every 2 and a half years, but it seems like this is going to cost them a lot of money over 10 years, especially on the touring headlights. I'm not exactly fond of sitting at dealerships either. Anybody know if they plan to make changes, so they last longer?
Low/high beams and turn signals as those are part of the whole headlight assembly.

Does the dealership replace those with new bulbs as well?

I'm guessing they don't. They just swap them to the new headlight assemblies.

Reactions: Cepega

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
I'm assuming they simply swap the bulbs over, but I didn't ask. I'm thinking the longer you drive, especially in hot weather while only the DRLs are on, the hotter they get. If you only take short drives, they probably last longer. I've been taking a lot of 300-400 mile trips every weekend (many times 3 hours without stopping), and it's been hot as hell down here (97 today). I'm sure that takes it's toll on them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So glad I found this thread. My right DRL went out this week on my 2016 EX-L V6 6MT. Has anyone here with aftermarket HIDs successfully made a warranty claim? I would think the technicians would realize the ballast to the bulb shouldn't affect the DRL, but I can see them using it as an excuse (like when they deny suspension maintenance after lowering the car).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm thinking the longer you drive, especially in hot weather while only the DRLs are on, the hotter they get. If you only take short drives, they probably last longer. I've been taking a lot of 300-400 mile trips every weekend (many times 3 hours without stopping), and it's been hot as hell down here (97 today). I'm sure that takes it's toll on them.
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I’d actually be interested in knowing if geographical location/temperature zone has any impact on the life of the DRLs. I live in San Antonio, TX and daytime temperatures stay well above the mid-90s throughout the majority of the year. It’s logical, IMO, that higher ambient temperatures MAY have cause the DRLs to prematurely fail, especially if you spend a lot of time on the road.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
Steve16Accord Have your DRLs gone out?
It just seems logical to me that if you leave the DRLs on for hours, and the temperature is 97 degrees F, it would speed up the melting of the DRL tube. But I could be wrong, and the LED itself is 99% of the reason the DRLs burn out or melt the tube.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Steve16Accord Have your DRLs gone out?
It just seems logical to me that if you leave the DRLs on for hours, and the temperature is 97 degrees F, it would speed up the melting of the DRL tube. But I could be wrong, and the LED itself is 99% of the reason the DRLs burn out or melt the tube.
Yeah. Mine went out about 30k mi ago. Both were replaced. All good on current ones.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Finally my driver's headlight hit the dust at 70K miles. My strips have been yellow for sometime now, but was told to come back when its completely out.

Without the warranty it would have cost me $1100 for just the driver's side. Now I am just waiting for the part to come in (was told about a week). Overall, it is a hassle-free experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well now my passenger light went out on my ‘16 touring. This is third time and second time for that light. Seems I’m getting one a year since I’ve bought the car. Fortunately it is covered but this is starting to get annoying.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
I hadn't received the letter yet when they changed the first one. They told me the warranty was extended before even checking to see if my factory warranty was still active. I didn't need the letter at the second dealership either, for the other side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I swapped my exl projector lens out for the Touring LEDs and the strip went out very recently. Replacement of the Touring lights definitely will not be covered. Shoulda bought a Touring cause replacing these will come out of my own pocket :(

61 - 80 of 111 Posts