Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
I swapped my exl projector lens out for the Touring LEDs and the strip went out very recently. Replacement of the Touring lights definitely will not be covered. Shoulda bought a Touring cause replacing these will come out of my own pocket :(
Wow! I think I would put the exl head lights back in. I'm wondering if people who've done retro-fits will have the same problem (not covered).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm... I thought the bottom strip LED on my unit went out, I attempted to swap out the heatsink + leds with a working one but it turns out it was working fine.

2/4 of the units I've had are not due to LED failure but due to the plastic rods that project the light. The rod is no more than half an inch away from the LED. The heat from the LED would burn up the (acrylic?) rod causing light to be unable to pass through. This would cause the "yellowing" effect, or we would see it as a dim or led being almost out. Of course replacing the rod would mean you'd need to take apart the entire headlight unit. I just ended up purchasing a new unit and replacing it myself.

Struggles for wanting the touring headlight on an EX-L. shoulda just opted for the touring...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hmm... I thought the bottom strip LED on my unit went out, I attempted to swap out the heatsink + leds with a working one but it turns out it was working fine.

2/4 of the units I've had are not due to LED failure but due to the plastic rods that project the light. The rod is no more than half an inch away from the LED. The heat from the LED would burn up the (acrylic?) rod causing light to be unable to pass through. This would cause the "yellowing" effect, or we would see it as a dim or led being almost out. Of course replacing the rod would mean you'd need to take apart the entire headlight unit. I just ended up purchasing a new unit and replacing it myself.

Struggles for wanting the touring headlight on an EX-L. shoulda just opted for the touring...
It's still a defective part... Take a gamble and complain to Honda and say you want them to pay for the replacement light. Worst they can do is laugh at you and/or hang up...

And you'll split the money with me when/if they cough up a few bucks... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Question

I am currently trying to buy a used 2017 Honda Accord EXL. Will the car be under this warranty or will I have to purchase the warranty?
It's automatically covered for 10 years. So long as the vehicle hasn't been in accident in the front and no prior mods have been done to the lights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 17 EX-L and the passenger side DRL is halfway burnt out which I assume is this issue. I called the service department at my local dealer and they said my VIN doesn't have any recalls or service bulletins associated with it.

Does Honda not have the VIN range listed anywhere for the affected vehicles?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a 17 EX-L and the passenger side DRL is halfway burnt out which I assume is this issue. I called the service department at my local dealer and they said my VIN doesn't have any recalls or service bulletins associated with it.

Does Honda not have the VIN range listed anywhere for the affected vehicles?
Try calling or a different dealer or ask them to look at the TSB, it says "All Trims". Not sure why your vin wouldn't show up

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try calling or a different dealer or ask them to look at the TSB, it says "All Trims". Not sure why your vin wouldn't show up
So when I initially called this morning I guess I got the dealer's scheduling department which is not on-site. I called back a little bit ago and spoke with an actual service advisor and they say that it is in fact covered. Have an appointment this Friday. Let's hope I can talk them into replacing both headlights!

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I took my car in for the appointment today and was sure to ask the service advisor 2 or 3 times whether or not my HIDs would be fine or if they would cause problems for the technician. I also asked about getting the other headlight done at the same time but no luck.

Anyways, 2 hours later I come pick up my vehicle after they swapped the new lighting assembly and did an alignment at my request. She delivers my car to me and I notice that my passenger side marker is out since I have switchbacks installed (always on white). When I open the hood to double check their work, I notice that they just threw your run of the mill amber signal bulb without even paying attention. Then, my hand hit the wires between my ballast and HID bulb and it starts flickering really bad as well! Turns out they failed to seat the sockets correctly on reassembly.

She takes it back and luckily they haven't thrown out my old switchback side marker (or dug it out of the trash) and reseat the connections on my ballast/HID. All is well I suppose. And she said it was their "master technician" doing the work. 🙄

Then, as I'm leaving she asks if my headlights were aftermarket to which I reply no. Then remember when I bought the car used, the salesman told me it was in a minor front end collision. Turns out the headlight that they warrantied under this TSB was actually not an OEM headlight assembly and they shouldn't have done it at all.

What a wonderful experience. Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plenty of people have successfully gotten their headlights replaced with no hassle. Yes the bumper and grille needs to come off, and there is a very small chance that the tabs could break. If you're so concerned with this why don't you request to have the service done by the master technician?
The directions to replace the headlights is contained in the TSB. Diagrams and all.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
I see a lot of Accords with DRLs out, and wonder if these owners know about the warranty extension. I want to let them know about it, but don't want to look like some nutcase trying to flag people down. I guess if you are a second owner, or you moved, you didn't get the notice from Honda. Hard to believe they haven't noticed, or don't care that the DRLs don't work, but anything's possible.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,531 Posts
I see a lot of Accords with DRLs out, and wonder if these owners know about the warranty extension. I want to let them know about it, but don't want to look like some nutcase trying to flag people down. I guess if you are a second owner, or you moved, you didn't get the notice from Honda. Hard to believe they haven't noticed, or don't care that the DRLs don't work, but anything's possible.
Most people don't care.

·
Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
They probably don't know unless they pull up in front of a mirror. 99% of people don't check their lights. The only way they know one is out is if the vehicle or someone (inspector or police officer) tells them or they can't see at night.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,722 Posts
Seems like sooner or later someone they know would see them drive up in the driveway (or somewhere) and tell them. But, if they don't know about the warranty extension, and don't want to pay out-of-pocket for a new headlight. IMO, that's more likely. They could also fear the dealership upsells or simply don't have the time to bring the car in. Plenty of reasons other than "don't know or don't care". I know the one dealership tried to get me to pay for a transmission fluid change while I was there (I had already done a drain and fill).

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,531 Posts
Seems like sooner or later someone they know would see them drive up in the driveway (or somewhere) and tell them. But, if they don't know about the warranty extension, and don't want to pay out-of-pocket for a new headlight. IMO, that's more likely. They could also fear the dealership upsells or simply don't have the time to bring the car in. Plenty of reasons other than "don't know or don't care". I know the one dealership tried to get me to pay for a transmission fluid change while I was there (I had already done a drain and fill).
Nah, I think most people don't care.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts