Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
yes, i'm a girl
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i'm fairly new to this forum :wave: i've posted some questions in the audio thread on how to wire up my tsx mirrors that i was able to fit on my coupe a while back.
anyway, here are the mirrors on my coupe and pics of how i got them wired up. i'd like to thank all the guys in the audio thread here that offered tips and suggestions on how to wire them up :thumbsup:

well it took patience and attetion to detail, but i did it it took me 4 hours, but i was excited when done all i have to do now is get them painted!

for those of you wondering if it swivels........yes it does

painted

i used the 03 accord mirror base (the part that holds the mirror) and 03 accord mirror motor mount
04 tsx mirror cover, light, mirror motor and mirror

the only thing is that there is a gap at the bottom. i'll probably just put in a layer of water vapor barrier there to close the gap here is a pic of the gap

this is what was done to make them fit:
it'll be easier to understand once u take the mirror apart.

basically this is how it is....the tsx mirror consists of these parts:

a mirror
a motor that makes the mirror rotate
a mounting bracket that the motor is attached to (this is the part that contains the screws that attach to the mirror base)
tsx cover
turn signal
mirror base (this is the part that attaches the mirror to the car)

for both the Accord and TSX mirror you:
Unscrew the mirror's base from the mirror. these screws maybe be screwed in there pretty tight. what i did to loosen them up is spray wd-40 and let it sit for a while, then the screws came off like a breeze.
once you seperate the mirror base from the mirror unit it will expose what i call the mounting bracket. this mounting bracket is also what the mirrors motor is attached to.
now you have to take the mirror off, this is done by wedging a flat head screw driver in between the mirror and the clip that attaches it to the motor.
once you take the mirror off you'll see the mirror's motor and the mounting bracket.
then you take off the mirrors motor, by unscrewing it off the mounting bracket.

once you unscrew the tsx's mirror motor off, you screw in the TSX's motor onto the ACCORD's mounting bracket.
Now you simply place the mounting bracket into the tsx cover. when you do this you'll see that it doesn't fit...this is when the trimming takes place. i simply kept trimming till the unit fit.

i'll be going on vacation and wont be back till end of next week, since i dont have a digi cam i'll have to wait till i get back to use the digi cam at work. i'll take pics of everything and make a more detailed diy for those who've tried this already the instructions above should help since you'd be familiar with the parts.

if that is hard to visualize there is a post of v6p where someone has taken pics of the process.

this is how i wired up my mirrors. this is definately not the only way to do this. there are cleaner ways like using a plug and receptacle or even just using the stock plug, but due to me already cutting off the stock plug this is how i went about it.

Here is the wiring set-up:

driver side mirror

yellow/white stripe wire from tsx mirror connects to blue/white stripe wire on stock plug

yellow/red stripe wire from tsx mirror connects to blue/black stripe wire on stock plug

yellow/black stripe mirror from tsx mirror connects to green/white stripe wire on stock plug

pink wire from tsx mirror gets connected to turn signal

purple wire from tsx mirror gets grounded

pics of drivers side

spliced wires tucked in door panel

Passenger side mirror

yellow/white stripe wire from tsx mirror connects to white/red stripe wire on stock plug

blue/green stripe wire from tsx mirror connects to red/yellow stripe wire on stock plug

blue/black stripe wire from tsx mirror connects to green/white stripe wire on stock plug

pink wire from tsx mirror connects to turn signal

purple wire gets grounded.

here are pics of how i spliced them.

pic of the spliced wires tucked in the door panel

·
yes, i'm a girl
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
now we just need to ground the purple wire
and connect the led wire, which is the pink wire

once again i want to state that the method i chose to run my wires is by no means the only way to do this.

you can either run them to your rear turn signals by literally running the wire all the way to rear turn signal socket and splicing into the wires there. i opted not to do that cuz for me it seemed too difficult to be able to hide all that wire.

option 2 is you can run the wire inside the loom ( i hate the loom). if u get the wire through the loom in the passenger side the wire will end up behind ur glove compartment where the air pollen filter is. you can then proceed to run the wire to the area above the fuse box where all the wires are. the reason for me not to go this route was one the loom was too hard for me to get the wire through, and two i did not want to go through all those wires above the fuse box to tap into the correct wire.

option 3 you can run the wire into the loom into the cabin then out from grommet of the firewall into the engine bay

option 4 run wires through the fenders, which for me was the easiest, so i chose option 4 ok so lets start...

initally i removed my door panel on the passenger side to wire up the mirrors (i was in the process of learning, lol), but i after doing all this i realized if u run the wires through the fender there will be no reason to remove the door panel, so for the drivers side i did the same thing but without removing the door panel :thumbsup:

1. remove the fenderwell clip directly above the center of the wheel and the one to left and right of it for a total of 3 clips that are to be removed. even though some of us may know the corect way to remove the clip some still don't know. this shows where to place ur flathead screwdriver to properly remove the clip. place screwdriver to where the arrow with the check points to and then rotate the flathead

2. run your wire through the fenderwheel. i used 16 gauge white wire, but you can use whatever color you like. since my car was low i couldn't push down too much on the fenderwheel lining which made it hard for me to see the wire. so i used a hanger to pull my wire through. i simply ran the hanger from the hinge side and ran it till it hit the fenderwheel lining. then from the fenderwheel lining i retrieved the hanger and tape the wire to it so that i could pull it back from the hinge side.

3. i tried that whole running the wire through the loom and yeah, whatever..lol. it was a pain and i totally gave up on that idea. so i ended up taking the wire up through the rubber weather strip

here is a close up

4. once up the weather strip you need to bring it to the front as seen here

there is a small white clip that easily pops out. once u run the wire to the front of the weather strip simply push down on the clip to secure everything back in place and you wire will now be like so

now splice this wire with the pink wire from the tsx mirror.
here is the splicer i used

5. now that you have pulled the wire through and spliced it to the mirror you can now splice the wire that is at the fenderwheel to the turn signal socket at the headlight. i know i know my rims are dirty...

6. simply pull the fenderwheel lining back so that you can see the turnsignal socket

pull the black loom back so that you can expose more of the wire to tap into it. there are 3 wires on the passenger side:

black=ground
red w/ black stripe=parking light
brown=turn signal

the pink wire from the tsx mirror for the passenger sides gets tapped into the brown wire.

again, i used splice connectors, but u def. don't have to use one. you can simply place the wire in the socket as joe has shown in his pics.

7. now its' time to ground the purple wire. some have grounded the purple wire to a bolt on the door. i too did this but changed my mind and decided to go ahead and splice into the black wire of the turn signal socket. so i ran a second wire the same way i did the first one and spliced into the purple wire for the reason that for the drivers side i didn't want to mess with removing the door panel.
i didn't take a pic of the black wire spliced but it looks just like the pic above.

8. once you've spliced the pink wire to the brown wire and the purple wire to the black wire you can now test the mirror to see if it works

success! :D

you do the drivers side the exact same way only difference is the drivers side's turn signal wires are:

black=ground
red w/ blue stripe=turn signal
red w/ black=parking

splice pink wire from tsx mirror to red w/ blue strip wire
splice purple wire from tsx mirro to black wire or just ground it to the bolt on the door whatever floats ur boat

good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
looks nice man, but boy is that alot of work for another turning signal!

·
White Man Group Car Club
593 Posts
Excellent write-up. Looks great! I think I might have to do this.

EDIT: Where did you get your mirrors from? I'm looking at acuraparts247.com and they want 200+ for each side. I would rather do the TL side marker for less than 1/4 of the price.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Great write up! Question: wouldn't it have been easier to just use the 06 hybrid mirrors? I believe they have the built in turn signal, yes?

·
Registered
900 Posts
phoenix said:
Great write up! Question: wouldn't it have been easier to just use the 06 hybrid mirrors? I believe they have the built in turn signal, yes?
it would still require modification because he has a coupe.

·
White Man Group Car Club
593 Posts
alpha said:
it would still require modification because he has a coupe.
She...has a coupe. Must respect Joyce and all the other ladies here modding out their cars. :notworthy :thmsup: :yes:

·
Banned
224 Posts
faderrific said:
Excellent write-up. Looks great! I think I might have to do this.

EDIT: Where did you get your mirrors from? I'm looking at acuraparts247.com and they want 200+ for each side. I would rather do the TL side marker for less than 1/4 of the price.
You can check car-part.com, this is a link to most junkyards across the country. I thought, or I should say thinking about doing the side marker thing also, but it seems the BMW side markers are much brighter then the TL's. But I think the side marker on the mirror and on the side might be overkill, or on the other hand it might prevent an accident.

·
yes, i'm a girl
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
faderrific said:
She...has a coupe. Must respect Joyce and all the other ladies here modding out their cars. :notworthy :thmsup: :yes:
lol, i just saw this.......girl power ;)

·
Badda'dan
54 Posts
thanks for the write up. I almost gave up looking for this. My mirror has two more wires that i'm guessing are for the heated mirrors. On the tsx its two black wires with what looks like silver marks on them. I can't really tell the difference in them. On the accord passenger side it's a black wire and a yellow wire. How do these match up or does it not matter how they match up?

Added some pics for reference

Attachments

·
Badda'dan
54 Posts
Nvm, it doesn't matter what order they go like I thought

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thread revival! Does anyone know how to wire the heat for the mirrors? I have the TSX mirror adjust switch and heat button, but I just wanted to see if anybody else who has done this swap needed an extra relay or module as well or if just the switch itself is enough?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts