Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not a n00b!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i thought this was going to be an easy little project, but it's morphed and developed a life of it's own. As LFsoccer2K6 is finding out, installing TSX projectors on your 7th gen takes A LOT of time and fiddling!

I thought I'd post my latest iteration of my retrofit. This time, I "borrowed" some pieces of my son's Meccano set and i think I've finally got a winner!

I made numerous mistakes my first few times around.

Here are the mistakes

1. Melted one light housing - thanks e-bay $10.00 for a new used assembly

2. Installed the shroud on the projector, this made it almost impossible to play with the aiming

3. Used Stanley "L" brackets that were simply too stiff and did not allow for play - see below for more on this
4. Mounted the projectors TOO FAR BACK in the reflector and stripped out the adjuster screw trying to tilt the lights down...this combined with #3 was a huge problem
5. Did not measure where the stock low and high beam lights were meant to be at 5 ft and 25 ft for comparison later on - turns out, my high beams were way too high..
6. Failed to allow for any kind of pitch adjustment in the projector - I thought i could get away with using the stock adjuster screw, but that caused #4 and i could not aim the projectors independently of the high beams - not a problem if i had gone with bi-xeonx's :stupid::scratch:
7. Rushed the job because i did not have a spare set of lights to put in the car whilst i worked on the project on my nice bench in my heated workshop... with a few beers!:drink:
8. Played with those damn washers for hours to get the level right!
9. Almost forgot (edit) broke the two mounting "balls" off the bottom of the reflector - thanks JB Weld!!!

Now, what I've done this time around..with my spare lights on the bench with beer!!!

#1 used lower mounting brackets that have some "give" so i can pitch the lights with #2

Thanks to my son's Meccano bag...

#2 Mounted the projectors further forward in the reflector (I am going to have to come up with a novel way to seal the back of the housing when all this is said and done)

#3 Kept my "pitch slot" and added a tab so i can pitch the light and then lock down the screw from the top as shown above

#4 can you say Swiss cheese? I think i may just change this reflector...

#5. Installed a stud on the "low side" and then three nuts on the stud, one to hold the stud to the reflector and two so i can play with the skew of the projector without taking the light apart, needing crazy springs or washers. Have a closer look at the pic to see that!

more pix

Hopefully i will get to Home Depot and figure out a cover for the back of the housing and post some cutoffs when i get the lights back in the car!!

Cheers,

PS - Yes, that 's an Amateur radio.. one day it will go back in the car :)
PPS - Get a piece of sample carpet form the carpet store, it's a great bench mat and stops the lights from breakinf when you drop them on the bench...

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
So, in "retro"-spect (pun intended :D ), would you have bought a set of PnP kit if you knew how much effort this has been, and is still continuing?

·
Not a n00b!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, in "retro"-spect (pun intended :D ), would you have bought a set of PnP kit if you knew how much effort this has been, and is still continuing?
I might have gone with the Anzo projectors, but probably not a plain HID kit in stock housings, i can't stand the way they always blind me when others have them in their cars...

In Retrospect... i should have just bought the TL!:lmao:

·
Not a n00b!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got all the aiming set tonight...i sucked with the shrouds though...i totally jacked one up already
Post some pics so we can all share in your jackedupedness :D

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
Post some pics so we can all share in your jackedupedness :D
Indeed!
I did get a pretty good laugh out of your "Swiss cheese" - laughing with you (hopefully) not at you.

And, I like how you found something that would 'give' a little -- I have no idea what that set is, but I'm going to have to hunt something like that down.

I have a few questions though - Is that another part of that set that's at the top of the projector for pitching? I assume that part is another L bracket of some kind, but how are you keeping that flush at the top while turning the nut at the bottom for skewing?

I thought about doing the nut/bolt like you have for the skew, but was worried that the one actually doing the elevation would eventually vibrate loose and cause the projector to vibrate apart... What are you doing to to keep that nut in place?

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
In Retrospect... i should have just bought the TL!:lmao:
minor hijack - I promise:
I am toying with doing BiXenon with my 2.0 (looking at the FX-R from The Retrofit Source), but I am having a hard time finding a wiring harness, without having someone custom make it (and I'm no good at making my own circuits). Did you do any research down that path? Matt @ TRS was the one that suggested a custom harness since "not many people with 9006/9005 setups do a BiX.

I'd really want BiX for hi/lo, but my original 9005 to act as DRL and Flash to Pass...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Okay, i thought this was going to be an easy little project, but it's morphed and developed a life of it's own. As LFsoccer2K6 is finding out, installing TSX projectors on your 7th gen takes A LOT of time and fiddling!

I thought I'd post my latest iteration of my retrofit. This time, I "borrowed" some pieces of my son's Meccano set and i think I've finally got a winner!

I made numerous mistakes my first few times around.

Here are the mistakes

1. Melted one light housing - thanks e-bay $10.00 for a new used assembly

2. Installed the shroud on the projector, this made it almost impossible to play with the aiming

3. Used Stanley "L" brackets that were simply too stiff and did not allow for play - see below for more on this
4. Mounted the projectors TOO FAR BACK in the reflector and stripped out the adjuster screw trying to tilt the lights down...this combined with #3 was a huge problem
5. Did not measure where the stock low and high beam lights were meant to be at 5 ft and 25 ft for comparison later on - turns out, my high beams were way too high..
6. Failed to allow for any kind of pitch adjustment in the projector - I thought i could get away with using the stock adjuster screw, but that caused #4 and i could not aim the projectors independently of the high beams - not a problem if i had gone with bi-xeonx's :stupid::scratch:
7. Rushed the job because i did not have a spare set of lights to put in the car whilst i worked on the project on my nice bench in my heated workshop... with a few beers!:drink:
8. Played with those damn washers for hours to get the level right!
9. Almost forgot (edit) broke the two mounting "balls" off the bottom of the reflector - thanks JB Weld!!!

Now, what I've done this time around..with my spare lights on the bench with beer!!!

#1 used lower mounting brackets that have some "give" so i can pitch the lights with #2

Thanks to my son's Meccano bag...

#2 Mounted the projectors further forward in the reflector (I am going to have to come up with a novel way to seal the back of the housing when all this is said and done)

#3 Kept my "pitch slot" and added a tab so i can pitch the light and then lock down the screw from the top as shown above

#4 can you say Swiss cheese? I think i may just change this reflector...

#5. Installed a stud on the "low side" and then three nuts on the stud, one to hold the stud to the reflector and two so i can play with the skew of the projector without taking the light apart, needing crazy springs or washers. Have a closer look at the pic to see that!

more pix

Hopefully i will get to Home Depot and figure out a cover for the back of the housing and post some cutoffs when i get the lights back in the car!!

Cheers,

PS - Yes, that 's an Amateur radio.. one day it will go back in the car :)
PPS - Get a piece of sample carpet form the carpet store, it's a great bench mat and stops the lights from breakinf when you drop them on the bench...
High temp aluminum tape and butyl tape for covering the back.
Won't look pretty but easiest and absolutely no moisture problem.

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
1,872 Posts
I thought about doing the nut/bolt like you have for the skew, but was worried that the one actually doing the elevation would eventually vibrate loose and cause the projector to vibrate apart... What are you doing to to keep that nut in place?
Maybe this pic will help. I actually drilled through the top of the reflector and into the projector. I put in a screw through the reflector into a nut that was between the projector and reflector. After that nut held the screw in place, I wedged in a spring, then I held the nut in place with pliers and screwed the screw down and into the hole in the projector. I hope that made sense.

Attachments

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
Maybe this pic will help. I actually drilled through the top of the reflector and into the projector. I put in a screw through the reflector into a nut that was between the projector and reflector. After that nut held the screw in place, I wedged in a spring, then I held the nut in place with pliers and screwed the screw down and into the hole in the projector. I hope that made sense.
Wait, so now there's a hole in the projector for the screw?

I see how richpor's mechanism works pretty much, but don't really see how yours achieves the pitching motion... His rocks back and forth, but - are you pushing DOWN on the bowl with the screw then, causing it to pitch upward?

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
1,872 Posts
yes, there is a whole in the projector (the back part of it). It is only 5/16 and not light leaks bc the screw goes down into the hole blocking the light. i had my projectors level and the high beams where i wanted them, but i had 2 issues.
1) driver projector was aimed too low
2) the projectors bounced bc they were not supported in the rear.
so i put the screw and spring in both sides. however, i cut the spring shorter for the passenger side to not create as much tension.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
if the projectors were to high, i prolly would have done the same thing but on the bottom forcing them to aim downward
Got it, I follow now. I don't know that I'd want to drill into the projector though, but it certainly does get the job done, and kills 2 birds with one stone for you.

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
1,872 Posts
i wasnt going to, i was just planning on drilling a little divot, but i drilled too deep. it would be really easy in the future, if needed, to fill it with silicone and cover with aluminum tape.

but yea, in the future, i would do it a different way. especially if i made a retro for someone else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts