Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to install a tri y header and a test pipe( no emissions in my county) on my k24a4 engine... Would I need tuning?
I've had a local shop tell me I don't.

But say if I use a kpro + dual harness, would I make more power as opposed to no tune?

Anyone else here running full bolt one with no tune??

I hear you can't use VAFC... Anyone want to put their opinion in about that...?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
You will gain very little power, and the test pipe will gain almost nothing, 1 to 2HP max. Opening up the exhaust on an N/A 4-cyl car will slow the car down substantially down low. I suggest if you want, get just the headers and do not open up anything after the B-pipe, unless you are thinking about turbo in the future. VAFC tuning on an N/A car also gains almost nothing, you are modifying the stock ECU programming by piggy-backing another computer on top of it. You can put one on, but you need to tune on a dyno.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
You will gain very little power, and the test pipe will gain almost nothing, 1 to 2HP max. Opening up the exhaust on an N/A 4-cyl car will slow the car down substantially down low. I suggest if you want, get just the headers and do not open up anything after the B-pipe, unless you are thinking about turbo in the future. VAFC tuning on an N/A car also gains almost nothing, you are modifying the stock ECU programming by piggy-backing another computer on top of it. You can put one on, but you need to tune on a dyno.
I can't stress how completely misinformed you are, especially for K series motors.

To the original poster. Get a tune with the header, and if it's a header, make sure it's of the longtube variety. Shorty headers don't do anything on the K motor.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, I've gotten most of my info.

Ktuner can help me achieve my goals. I'll be paying somewhere around 700 for the tuning and ECU stuff.

As far as the header goes, it looks alot like the PLM header for the tsx.

As far as the test pipe goes, I fear my stock cat is probably gunked up with who knows what....
I don't have a custom exhaust.

So if I put on a header plus test pipe, will I still retain most of the down low torque?? Or some?

Please chime in smart guys!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
you double posted:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/324489-tuning-bolt-ons.html

what exactly is your end goal? do you wanna just stop at bolt ons and just maximize air flow by modifying: Intake, Exhaust, Headers, for V6...J Pipe

do you think thats gonna be enough HP & Torque Gains...for most it'll be way more fun to drive, make much better engine/exhaust notes, and you'll know you can beat any other stock Honda if thats your thing

do you see yourself ever going:

Force Induction: Turbo or Supercharger
Nitrous Oxide systems go for $1,000 done right and the formers can be $2,500 min.

more info would help and having a long term plan, no matter how general, is a good idea since you seem like you are pretty serious about modifying it

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i wasnt thorough with what I want.
It is a k24 engine.

I just want more power out of it for DD and maybe an occasional race against a random person..call me ricer, or a wannebe from Fast and furious, i dont care..i have the money to do whatever i want with my car.

Now I've been talking to ppl on facebook who have used Ktuner for their accord. They are within the 170s whp range. This what I'm trying to achieve, just more squeezed out of my bolt-ons.
The gentleman who was responsible for the mapping of the K24 ECU or whatever for Ktuner reported whp gains upto 180 for these 4 cyl accords..
Thats more than a 40 hp increase on a stock engine with just an intake and 50 hp increase over a bone stock unit.

@Tr-D there is an article ( look for it) where they put boltons on a CM7 accord 4 cyl and it was able to gain decent power over stock.

I am not trying to build a racecar or something to track with. This car gets me to work and around town. I've already increased its power a good deal over stock by maintaining it with utmost care, and basic power increases with weight reduction, temperature reduction changes and increased airflow modifications. For this car to react this well to these alterations, I'm guessing doing more will only yield more.

I love hooking up hondas...some of my friends have gotten out of it, but the bug just wont stop biting!!!

As far as future modifcations go, i would just love to build a TSX k24a2 unit and swap it into my accord, and take my wonderful k24a4 unit, and drop it into a civic or something.

N/A is the way i want to go

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
So nothing changes until 4000 RPM. This is why I question these tunes that sometimes require you to stay in the high RPM, which is suitable for racing and not street drivability. I stopped putting on intake and exhaust a long time ago because of the massive slowdowns experienced in the past. You can do what you want, but question yourself how often you'll stay between 4000 to redline. The gains are indeed impressive.

You need to be on clubrsx.com or honda-tech.net , not here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tr-d
just because you have your own experiences and opinions, what satisfaction are you gaining by being a naysayer? Let us install our intakes, giant wings and rev our engines to 8000 rpm.

If we blow our motors or gain 1000hp, you're not gaining or losing anything out of it so leave us be.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
So nothing changes until 4000 RPM. This is why I question these tunes that sometimes require you to stay in the high RPM, which is suitable for racing and not street drivability. I stopped putting on intake and exhaust a long time ago because of the massive slowdowns experienced in the past. You can do what you want, but question yourself how often you'll stay between 4000 to redline. The gains are indeed impressive.

You need to be on clubrsx.com or honda-tech.net , not here.
Trust me I spend the majority of my time on k20a.org. I hear crickets here any time I talk about tuning or performance.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me I spend the majority of my time on k20a.org. I hear crickets here any time I talk about tuning or performance.

The truth has been spoken
Plus no one has r esponded to the TSX header thread that I brought back from the dead.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
The truth has been spoken
Plus no one has r esponded to the TSX header thread that I brought back from the dead.
Here are some simple steps if you want power:

1) Intake. Get a quality cold air intake.
2) Tri Y header with no cat. Make sure it's longtube.
3) Large exhaust, something on the order of 2.5-3". Keep it as straight through as possible.

On a K24A4 that'll net you like 160WHP/160WTQ or so.

Want more power?

4) K20A2/Z1/K24A2 head from an RSX-S or TSX and an accompanying RBC intake manifold. That'll be worth like 30-50WHP from 4K upwards, depending on how high you want to rev your stock block.

How do I know? Here's a K24A4 with type S cams and a modified K24A4 head.

Basically it's running a pseudo VTEC killer setup that's not worth explaining other than to say:

1) Look at that power
2) This is 10X easier to do by swapping a K20A2 or K24A2 cylinder head and not having to play with lost motion assemblies and non-standard valvetrain modification

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what? no high comp pistons? lol
that would be nice but then there around enough oil squirters or lines in the k24a4 unit...

but hey, this is something to think about

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I hear crickets here any time I talk about tuning or performance.
i think of DA as THE place to come to for everything OEM related and its by far the best when it comes to fixing anything related to OEM

cD5myeleanor i commend you on trying to increase HP numbers by going NA but honestly, that is not the way to go if you TRULY have an unlimited budget like you say

Forced Induction will yield Highest HP and Torque numbers

maintenance and buying the initial quality parts is gonna be high around $2,000-3,000 plus tuning and basic maintenance

if you want bang for your buck, Nitrous is where its at but for me, if i had to choose between going Nitrous or staying NA, i'd stay NA because dropping $500 on a simple Nitrous kit ain't gonna cut it unless you wanna blow your motor or have it age way faster or have important internal parts breaking sooner

good luck but if your budget is truly limitless, NA is not the way to go

Reactions: MindFork

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got a few mods since i last posted..
DC header... megan test pipe... tsx 6 speed tranny...
crazy increase in acceleration and hp...but i still got dusted by the new v6 TLX

perhaps its time to purchase under drive pulleys..

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,456 Posts
Hey JIMJAM,
just trying to get an opinion...
:angel:
No, you are not looking for "opinions", or you would take them as they come. What you are trying to get, is only those opinions that agree with yours. Say what you mean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts