Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Accord 2.0T 6MT
44 Posts
The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

This is from the 10th gen civic forum but this is worth a look. The author of that thread and creator of that tuning survey, gtman, has compiled a lot of data about tuning on the 1.5 with both the 6MT and CVT. There are certainly limitations to the CVT but you should be plenty fine with one of the ktuner base tunes. There is always a risk to tuning but a large number of failures come with abuse, neglect and then yes, over extending the capabilities of those transmissions. I've seen plenty of guys running tunes on the CVT reliably. Do your homework before you outright dismiss it.

Edit: Also realized you're coming from a civic with a tune. You already know what to expect. If you were on civicx then i'm sure you already did gtman's survey lol welcome to the accord!

·
Registered
2018 Accord 2.0T 6MT
44 Posts
I personally wouldn’t do that to a car with a CVT. Although Honda makes a reliable CVT, these transmissions aren’t meant to take a lot of hp and torque. And trust me, I’m not hating on the 1.5 because I own one myself. If you want to do something like that the 2.0 is a better choice. I personally wouldn’t tune any car whether it’s a 2.0 or a V8 or anything else because I know that that kind of stuff along with spirited driving reduces the life of your car.
The CVT is for everyday driving, not racing. That’s why I chose to get a CVT, because I’m in my mid 30’s and my racing days are over. I just want to get from point A to point B.
Check this video out. You might want to learn from this guys mistake...

what other mods did this guy have? also his driving style could lend a hand to it. its all preference. there will always be negative cases of tuning and modding. in the end, just have to take it all into consideration and make the decision that keeps you happy.

Yeah I was on the civicx forums for a while so I know all about the reliability survey haha. What I'm seeing from most of the replies here is that most people are warning against tuning the 1.5 CVT in the Accord, whereas on the CivicX forums it's completely different and the consensus there is that it should be safe as long as you're not abusing it (like you're saying). So I guess my question is what is the difference in the Accord 1.5 CVT and why do people seem to be more wary of tuning it?

Main reason I did not get the 2.0 turbo is because put simply, I didn't want to spend the extra money to upgrade and the 1.5 Accord was already a massive upgrade from my 2018 Civic EX with the naturally aspirated 2.0 engine. If I do tune it, I am definitely sticking with the stage 1-2 base tunes and nothing else. If anyone here seeing this has a tuned 1.5 CVT please chime in and let me know how it's going for you. Also, happy to be here in the Accord forums, and am Loving the car!
there are always going to be skeptics. I've been looking for tranny numbers from the accord and civic to see how similar the transmissions are. i think you're good on a base tune if you already knew what to expect out of the civic. the accord trans should be the same as far as capabilities as the civic as it has to handle higher hp and tq from the factory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts