Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Honda Newb
232 Posts
Someone made an 850HP F1 car with a CVT in 1993 and F1 banned it before they could race it because it was too fast. Also done by limiting the power on initial takeoff to eliminate belt slip. Some sites say they had a belt that could handle all the power but I also read elsewhere it was a software solution too:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally wouldn’t do that to a car with a CVT. Although Honda makes a reliable CVT, these transmissions aren’t meant to take a lot of hp and torque. And trust me, I’m not hating on the 1.5 because I own one myself. If you want to do something like that the 2.0 is a better choice. I personally wouldn’t tune any car whether it’s a 2.0 or a V8 or anything else because I know that that kind of stuff along with spirited driving reduces the life of your car.
The CVT is for everyday driving, not racing. That’s why I chose to get a CVT, because I’m in my mid 30’s and my racing days are over. I just want to get from point A to point B.
Check this video out. You might want to learn from this guys mistake...

CVT transmission on my modded Honda Accord 2018-2020 goes out at 40K miles.

Car is custom tuned and running full bolt-ons. List below:

Last Dyno Results: ~220WHP/WTQ PERFORMANCE:

• PRL Race Downpipe
  • PRL Frontpipe
  • PRL Intercooler
  • AEM Intake
  • Thermal R&D Frontpipe Exhaust
  • Rolloface Big Brake Kit
  • E-Tuned by Innovative Motor Works
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
  • Hasport Engine Mounts

This transmission is not meant to be driven hard and with loads of power. Many have taken the car to above 250HP/TQ without issues. However, it could just be a matter of time.

Maintenance on my car was always done on or before time. CVT service was done at 35K miles. Oil changes done always at 50% levels.

Car wasn't raced constantly either. Prior to this incident, the night before I raced, but didn't do anything over rated. Normal shifts in Sport mode. Got home without issues. Next day, while heading to work, I started having transmission slippage. Thought it was something else, so I reset the car. Went to a gas station and after driving out, my car got stuck on gear in the middle of the road. I had to power off and on the car, then over rev it into Drive. Car got into gear and was able to make it home safely.
Hey, i see it’s been quite some years since this comment and I was honestly just curious to see if you still had the 1.5T, and if you did, what has your experience been like, how many miles you have, and what issues you have? I am a 1.5 owner and i’m scared about the mechanical failures of the car.
If you don’t own it anymore, at how many miles did you trade it in at and why? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey, i see it’s been quite some years since this comment and I was honestly just curious to see if you still had the 1.5T, and if you did, what has your experience been like, how many miles you have, and what issues you have? I am a 1.5 owner and i’m scared about the mechanical failures of the car.
If you don’t own it anymore, at how many miles did you trade it in at and why? Thanks in advance!!
Hey. No, I no longer have the 1.5 Sport. I traded it in just at 15K miles. I had no mechanical issues out of it. The only issue I had was the fast forward and rewind buttons on the infotainment system sometimes not working when I was playing music through my Phone. I traded it in for 2022 Lexus ES 350 F Sport.
I used to have a 2015 Accord coupe with a CVT that had 29K miles when I sold it, if that helps.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 1.5T
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i know your question was for slickpanther but just curious, what mechanical issues are you scared about? Reason i ask is because the 1.5 has proven to be a pretty strong motor so far, real issues identified with it besides some of the oil dilution complaints.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts