1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
52 Posts
No K-Pro is not required but some type of engine managment is. K-pro is just the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
mmmmmmmmm i like... too bad ill never be able to do it haha

·
Legitimate hack
1,673 Posts
What was brought up on ECM on this very topic was that the OP failed to mention the car sat for months because he couldn't get the e-manage to play nice or how he threw a rod from boost creep issues. Since the old gen7accord is now gone, none of you will see that useful bit of information. Besides, "because of automatic transmission, I have almost zero lag" is a bit of a tool thing to say and makes the guy seem rather misinformed and stupid. I wouldn't go by that post at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice, that's be awesome to do...too bad I'll never throw $4k into this car for a turbo, mainly b/c I'll never have $4k to throw into it anyways...I'd just go out and buy an Acura, but that's just me.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
While I'll admit that the conversion is and looks awesome, why throw $4k into a car to make it ALMOST as quick as a V-6, which would run *bing* about $3k more than the I4?
I guess this guy had done a lot of other neat stuff to his car to make it his own, but at some point I think you are just throwing money away. Had he just spent a little more to get the V-6, he'd be able to throw a decent intake, exhaust, lowering and brake kit in for about even money, without any hassles. Seems to me a V-6 would be much more reliable down the road. Plus, who's going to buy an Accord that's been turbo'd? Not this guy - makes it seem like he's been abusing the car, which he likely has/will be.
Still, it's pretty cool. If it was closer to $1500, it'd be a steal. At $4k, it's a waste of dough.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There are plenty of turbo kits that'll get you well into the 300 hp range for a nice bit less than that, I think. There was a 2003 7th gen coupe here with a modified RSX turbo kit and TSX 6-speed, I forget his name.

What I'm saying is there are better ways of going about turbo'ing this car. The K engine is very popular with tuners, so there are plenty of options.

While it's kind cool having a turbocharged automatic car, it's just a ticking time bomb IMO

·
Registered
268 Posts
While it's kind cool having a turbocharged automatic car, it's just a ticking time bomb IMO
Pretty generalized statement, with the right setup it shouldn't be an issue.

That turbo lag quote is pretty funny though haha

·
Legitimate hack
1,673 Posts
There are plenty of turbo kits that'll get you well into the 300 hp range for a nice bit less than that, I think. There was a 2003 7th gen coupe here with a modified RSX turbo kit and TSX 6-speed, I forget his name.
Chemik. He pulled the kit off and sold it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
While I'll admit that the conversion is and looks awesome, why throw $4k into a car to make it ALMOST as quick as a V-6, which would run *bing* about $3k more than the I4?
I guess this guy had done a lot of other neat stuff to his car to make it his own, but at some point I think you are just throwing money away. Had he just spent a little more to get the V-6, he'd be able to throw a decent intake, exhaust, lowering and brake kit in for about even money, without any hassles. Seems to me a V-6 would be much more reliable down the road. Plus, who's going to buy an Accord that's been turbo'd? Not this guy - makes it seem like he's been abusing the car, which he likely has/will be.
Still, it's pretty cool. If it was closer to $1500, it'd be a steal. At $4k, it's a waste of dough.
This guy is putting near 230 hp to the wheels. Thats not almost as fast as the v6...thats way faster. I'm not sure what the v6 gets at the tires but it's not that much.

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
This guy is putting near 230 hp to the wheels. Thats not almost as fast as the v6...thats way faster. I'm not sure what the v6 gets at the tires but it's not that much.
Nah bro... there's a lot of people that put down around 220whp with just an intake. Just imagine with other bolt-ons, it'll put down more than 230whp. But aside that... at the end of the day, I admire his dedication. It was his project car, and he succeeded, therefore nothing but props and respect on my part.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Nah bro... there's a lot of people that put down around 220whp with just an intake. Just imagine with other bolt-ons, it'll put down more than 230whp. But aside that... at the end of the day, I admire his dedication. It was his project car, and he succeeded, therefore nothing but props and respect on my part.
+1
Good for him, he did a nice job and transformed his car.
Stock v6's have been dyno'd around 208-210 at the wheels. With a comparatively cheap upgrade of CAI/SRI and an exhaust, the V6 should easily pull similar numbers. He dyno'd at nearly 225 at the wheels. He also claims that he got a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds. Now, that is seriously impressive for an automatic with a 4 cylinder. However, for the same money (of the I4 car plus the turbo mods), you can get a V6-6 that would get there quicker - stock. That's my only point.
I'm not saying he is a moron for doing it, heck - I appreciate that he did and think it's very cool. I'm just saying for my money, I'd go V6-6 coupe, an intake, and a decent exhaust system and enjoy the fact that the warranty is still good and it can be worked on by any tech.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Like I've said before, most turbo K24s put down much more than 230 whp. There are better ways to spend your money, even if you are going turbo.

I can imagine that the auto saps a fair bit of the power, as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts