Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to take a jump at the Turtle Wax Black Box for only $18 on Amazon. It really looks amazing like the reviews says on Amazon. I'm not sure how long it'll last but wow it really did help cover up some swirls I was seeing before.

I've had the car since June '13

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Nice photos. I use black colored “Color Magic,” also made by Turtle Wax on my daughter’s black car. The black tinting in the wax really conceals blemishes and gives the paint a thick, deep shine. Good stuff.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Also for the swirls I know you see them the MOST from a black car -_- is there any way to remove these swirls by hand or is it best to invest in one of those orbital machines?

Would it be possible to damage your paint if you don't handle those machines properly?

Thanks again! I have enough of the black box product to use again in the future, definitely work the $18 !!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Don't go orbital if you are a new at polishing or risk your paint. Go with a dual action machine like the Porter Cable dual action polisher.

I user filler (like your turtle wax stuff) on my car too to avoid polishing too often, but I use Poorboys World Black Hole Glaze. I then top it with a sealant and a wax.

·
4,637 Posts
I user filler (like your turtle wax stuff) on my car too to avoid polishing too often, but I use Poorboys World Black Hole Glaze. I then top it with a sealant and a wax.
PB also makes a version for lighter colors called White Diamond that gets excellent reviews.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Don't go orbital if you are a new at polishing or risk your paint. Go with a dual action machine like the Porter Cable dual action polisher.

+1 on the Porter Cable 7424XP. AutoGeek highly recommends this one and lists it as their most popular, user friendly version. Ordered a new one from Amazon for $91 delivered. Just received a text from Fedex that it will be delivered today. Can't wait to try it out. Not sure which pads to buy for polishing and will have to do more research. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 on the Porter Cable 7424XP. AutoGeek highly recommends this one and lists it as their most popular, user friendly version. Ordered a new one from Amazon for $91 delivered. Just received a text from Fedex that it will be delivered today. Can't wait to try it out. Not sure which pads to buy for polishing and will have to do more research. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.
Thanks for letting me know! Could you let me know how that goes !? Maybe I will invest in getting a machine to get those scratches off for next time I decide to do a project on my car! :D

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thanks for letting me know! Could you let me know how that goes !? Maybe I will invest in getting a machine to get those scratches off for next time I decide to do a project on my car! :D
Sure, no problem. After I get the opportunity to use it I'll post some pics and info on my user experience. This is my first dual action polisher so I think I may order the instructional cd from AutoGeek for $7.99. Definitely don't want to screw up my paint job.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,003 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Also for the swirls I know you see them the MOST from a black car -_- is there any way to remove these swirls by hand or is it best to invest in one of those orbital machines?
Yes, it's possible to do it by hand but you won't achieve the same results as with a machine, it will take much longer, and you'll certainly be more tired from doing it by hand. Don't forget the hand cramps.

If you don't want to do it by hand, but you also don't want to spend $150-$200 on a dual action polisher and pads, there's the Meguiars DA Power System for $50.

Would it be possible to damage your paint if you don't handle those machines properly?
Not with a dual action random orbital such as the Porter Cable or Griots. It's pretty idiot-proof. You just need to learn how to use the machine properly and what pads to use and when.

You're confusing orbital with rotary. This is what is usually called an orbital.

It's a low powered device that spins in a circle at one low speed setting. All it's really good for is applying and buffing off wax.

This is a rotary buffer and it's what car dealership "detailers" typically use to "detail" cars with.

Put one in the hands of an inexperienced person and they'll burn the paint and put in holograms and buffer trails. There is a steeper learning curve to this than with a dual action random orbital like the Porter Cable, Meguiars 7424, Griots, etc.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
My dad and I used this on his Denali...results were pretty good but everything I have heard about Turtle Wax is that they are low end, if we use another colored wax it will be something nicer...

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,137 Posts
Should you decide to go with a machine polisher instead of hiding the problems (and nothing wrong with that) go with this one:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do

I have three including this one and it is so much stronger with faster results than the others that there is no comparison. Back that up with a lifetime warranty and you are good to go. Mind you that you'll need to spend more money on backing plates, pads, and products to get best results. Griot's offers an HD model with a longer thicker cord.....buy it. For someone starting out this is the best purchase you can make.

I speak as a retired detailer. A few others here have more experience than I but I'm certain they would agree that this would be a superior starter package that is foolproof. Shop for the best deal.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Should you decide to go with a machine polisher instead of hiding the problems (and nothing wrong with that) go with this one:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do

I have three including this one and it is so much stronger with faster results than the others that there is no comparison. Back that up with a lifetime warranty and you are good to go. Mind you that you'll need to spend more money on backing plates, pads, and products to get best results. Griot's offers an HD model with a longer thicker cord.....buy it. For someone starting out this is the best purchase you can make.

I speak as a retired detailer. A few others here have more experience than I but I'm certain they would agree that this would be a superior starter package that is foolproof. Shop for the best deal.
+1 on this. I love my GG6. If you read enough on Autogeek you will learn the GG has more power than the Porter Cable. For another $50-75 you get a more powerful machine and a lifetime warranty. Have read posts from those that had to take advantage of that warranty and GG warranty service seems to be top notch.

it's also important to point out that if you just wax your car, you have not removed imbedded contaminants that don't come off with regular washing. By just waxing and not removing those contaminants you are just scratching your paint more. The wax will hide it for a couple weeks, but over time, the paint underneath is actually getting worse. I polish and apply some type of sealant twice per year after a good decon wash and clay bar.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do yourself a favor if using the 7424XP and invest in a proper wire gauge extension cord which can handle the amp draw - it will save your polisher from burning up.

@ imadizzle, your car looks fantastic - nice job!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Do yourself a favor if using the 7424XP and invest in a proper wire gauge extension cord which can handle the amp draw - it will save your polisher from burning up.
Will do. Thanks for the "heads up". Out of curiosity, is your tip specific to the 7424XP or does it apply to all DA polishers?

·
Registered
121 Posts
What kind do you recommend? 16 gauge 25 ft ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts