Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a easy way of removing the pinstripes?
I know its painted on and not the tape kind. Not sure if it is on top or below the clearcoat.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I literally pealed mine off once I took it home for the first time. Didn't leave residue or anything. But at that point they had only been on the car for a couple weeks.

Take them off, looks much better!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I think the dealer told me that they were painted on. It really doesn't matter because I like them.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Oh man I missed the part that they are painted on. Ouch, That would have been a deal breaker for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
just pull them off carefully and sprayed some quick detailer on it to remove any residue..
ok painted on..

found this video

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
What pinstripe? I have none...

·
No PRND
583 Posts

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
Its a dealer installed item. Not all do them.
That would be BS. I would want them removed also. I would let the dealer know too. Graffiti on a beautiful body design.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
If it's painted on then it's above the clear coat, you may want to try some paint thinner to wipe a small part of it quickly to test, it might just come off without damaging the factory base/clear paint.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
No pinstripe is painted on unless it's custom. The ones dealers charge like $50 for are just stuck on. Goo Gone takes it right off.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
No pinstripe is painted on unless it's custom. The ones dealers charge like $50 for are just stuck on. Goo Gone takes it right off.
I am sure that you are right and the salesman who told me it was painted on was wrong. However, I still like it.

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
" I still like it."

I am curious to what yours look like... Must be black?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its definitely not vinly. I tried heating with hair dryer and then peel but it wouldn't lift. I scrap a small piece with sharp plastic and it came off like paint. I could also see stratches forming so I stopped. Hard to say if its on top or below clear coat

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
What color is the paint particles when you scrapped it? Color of the pin-stripe? If so then it's above the clear coat, it's highly unlikely the pin-stripe is fully clear-coated over by the dealer guy who did the pin-stripe, way too much work for what they get paid for that work.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had similar situation with painted on stripes. After a lot of searching and discussions with body shops, the only thing they said would work was EASY OFF OVEN SPRAY. It works....do some web searching on procedure, but it does work and doesn't hurt the clearcoat. I had to remove a lot of striping on all sides of the car. Took several hours, but it worked, with no residue and no damage to clearcoat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i noticed this before i bought the car so i requested to have it removed and also the sticker on the back which advertises the place where i bought the car. the salesperson said i was fortunate that the car had just been shipped there otherwise, it would have left a mark being under the sun and they would not have taken it off.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
i noticed this before i bought the car so i requested to have it removed and also the sticker on the back with advertises the place where i bought the car. the salesperson said i was fortunate that the car had just been shipped there otherwise, it would have left a mark being under the sun and they would not have taken it off.
I was lucky that the dealer had not put on the advertising emblem on the car even though they had put on the pin strips, mud flaps and tinted windows. I told the salesman to please not install their emblem in the make ready and they didn't. They did install the dealer's name on the license plate frame which is easy to remove. A car is the only product that the store where you purchase it thinks it's ok for their customers to advertise their store for free.

Once I told the salesman in the negotiation that my advertising their store was worth at least two thousand dollars during the life of the car off the purchase price. :banana:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Some dealers definitely still paint on pinstripes. My last 04 accord had it painted on while I was signing the papers! Some guy is contracted to come in and do it by hand. I liked it, but said I wasn't paying for it. I watched the guy finish it up personally. Pretty impressive actually, the guy did it totally freehand, using his pinky as a guide. I couldn't make a 5" straight line with a paint brush, let alone the whole side of a car.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
mine peeled off and the little bit of glue left behind on some spots I cleaned with acetone and them rinsed off the area with a good car wash spray

1 - 20 of 26 Posts