Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2009 EX-L V6 NAVI SEDAN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a HID kit or anything else from Umnitza? They’re at a car show in San Francisco and are selling HID 8000K kits for $65.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
HID kits should be avoided. See here for the reasons why. If you feel you must go with HID, despite the better choices in halogen bulbs (H9 for coupe, 9012 for sedan), stay with 4300K or, at the most 5000K. 8000K is going to give next to no usable light and in poor weather you'll be driving almost blind.

Compared to OEM HID, HID kits have poor quality bulbs and lower quality ballasts and can have a short life. And they certainly don't have the lumens of OEM HID. A good halogen bulb (H9 or 9012) is very close in lumens to a typical HID kit bulb and won't cause issues for oncoming drivers.

Edit: Just noticed you have the sedan. I do too. I have the Philips 9012 low beam bulbs and I can say, after testing both, that these bulbs give me more light, and certainly more usable light, than a HID kit did. In fact, they give me greater seeing distance that OEM HID in my 911 and G37.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
you have a sedan so i wouldn't recommend it. They have really bad customer service, it took me 2 months to get a replacement kit, never buying from them again. They were fine back in 2005 when they sponsored our Nissan board but it went downhill after 2008. I wouldnt bother and just get Xantec kits on ebay, i am running them in my fog lights for a while now without an issue

·
6,322 Posts
Edit: Just noticed you have the sedan. I do too. I have the Philips 9012 low beam bulbs and I can say, after testing both, that these bulbs give me more light, and certainly more usable light, than a HID kit did. In fact, they give me greater seeing distance that OEM HID in my 911 and G37.
How do the 9012's longevity compare to the oem bulbs? An approximate percentage is fine also. Just wanting a rough idea. I remember reading how the silver stars have a very short life span. I also remember the 9012's hours being listed but still don't know how those compare to the stock bulbs.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
you have a sedan so i wouldn't recommend it. They have really bad customer service, it took me 2 months to get a replacement kit, never buying from them again. They were fine back in 2005 when they sponsored our Nissan board but it went downhill after 2008. I wouldnt bother and just get Xantec kits on ebay, i am running them in my fog lights for a while now without an issue
Without issue other than glare for oncoming traffic. HID kits in small halogen lights, such as fog lights, an an even worse proposition that HID kits in halogen projector or reflector headlights.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
How do the 9012's longevity compare to the oem bulbs? An approximate percentage is fine also. Just wanting a rough idea. I remember reading how the silver stars have a very short life span. I also remember the 9012's hours being listed but still don't know how those compare to the stock bulbs.
The Philips 9012 have a Tc of 1400 hours - longer than normal 9006 and just as long as long-life 9006, IIRC.

·
6,322 Posts
Eventhough the exterior glass lenses on the Matrix looked crystal clear I clayed, polished and sealed the lights(just a 1 step polish & sealant thats used on paint-Duragloss #101). I'm amazed at how much brighter the lights seem. I know its unscientific but what a difference. I will now be doing this every 6mos or so.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Eventhough the exterior glass lenses on the Matrix looked crystal clear I clayed, polished and sealed the lights(just a 1 step polish & sealant thats used on paint-Duragloss #101). I'm amazed at how much brighter the lights seem. I know its unscientific but what a difference. I will now be doing this every 6mos or so.
My Jag has glass lenses and a good abrasive cleaner once a year yields great results. Much more light on the road.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Without issue other than glare for oncoming traffic. HID kits in small halogen lights, such as fog lights, an an even worse proposition that HID kits in halogen projector or reflector headlights.
Speaking of fogs lights…has anybody replaced their bulbs with Nokya H11 yellow bulbs? (or something similar) I am looking to buy the fog light kit soon, but I like the yellow look on the ground. I was originally going to buy the fog light kit and 3K HID’s but I’m thinking since I already have HID’s in the low beam another set in the fogs may be overkill. Would these look pretty good/bright?

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Speaking of fogs lights…has anybody replaced their bulbs with Nokya H11 yellow bulbs? (or something similar) I am looking to buy the fog light kit soon, but I like the yellow look on the ground. I was originally going to buy the fog light kit and 3K HID’s but I’m thinking since I already have HID’s in the low beam another set in the fogs may be overkill. Would these look pretty good/bright?
If you want yellow fogs then there's not much choice out there and Nokya is one of the choices. I wouldn't use them myself (I feel it's way overpriced for what it is) but it's a far better choice than 3K HID kit. Like I wrote, HID kits in halogen fog lights are a really bad idea and, as you wrote, they are simply overkill. At best you'll give a lot of glare to oncoming traffic. At worst you'll give a lot of glare to yourself. The light may be yellow but there's still a large amount of blue spikes in 3K HID and these blue spikes will haunt you in inclement weather, the very weather when fog lights are actually useful.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
If you want yellow fogs then there's not much choice out there and Nokya is one of the choices. I wouldn't use them myself (I feel it's way overpriced for what it is) but it's a far better choice than 3K HID kit. Like I wrote, HID kits in halogen fog lights are a really bad idea and, as you wrote, they are simply overkill. At best you'll give a lot of glare to oncoming traffic. At worst you'll give a lot of glare to yourself. The light may be yellow but there's still a large amount of blue spikes in 3K HID and these blue spikes will haunt you in inclement weather, the very weather when fog lights are actually useful.
Thanks……how about PIAA? Any thoughts on them? They are about $65 versus the $15 Nokya, but I am willing to pay more if they are better quality….

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Thanks……how about PIAA? Any thoughts on them? They are about $65 versus the $15 Nokya, but I am willing to pay more if they are better quality….
I'd stay away from PIAA at all costs. They're no better than the Nokya.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Brought some yellow nokya and did the H11 to H9 conversions. I like it!

·
Honda Fan
67 Posts
I've heard alot of negative stuff about Nokya bulbs. Most of the people who purchase them just get them because of the color and not because of how much light they produce. I have a 3000K HID kit on my fogs and can't even tell you how much I love these things. At night time they light up the side markers perfectly and the yellow adds a really nice touch to the car.Wouldn't recommend anything else.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If had nokyas in my fogs for about a year now, and there always on (wired dem up to a seperate switch) just the other day the driver side went out, I thought it was the bulb but it wasnt... My wire harness burnt out! I think it was because the nokya bulbs are 80watts and they were always on ... So beware!

·
2009 EX-L V6 NAVI SEDAN
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Philips 9012 low beam

Thanks for the heads-up on the HID kits. Now I have to see if Umnitza will let me return the kit. I'll see what their customer service is really like.

Where did you buy your Philips 9012 low beam's from? These are the bulbs that need trimming before they will fit, correct?

·
Honda Fan
67 Posts
If had nokyas in my fogs for about a year now, and there always on (wired dem up to a seperate switch) just the other day the driver side went out, I thought it was the bulb but it wasnt... My wire harness burnt out! I think it was because the nokya bulbs are 80watts and they were always on ... So beware!
To use Nokya bulbs you need to purchase there wire harness so that your vehicle wires don't burn out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts