Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K24 "SULEV" 2006 Accord is fairly gutless when it comes to accelerating, especially when passing. I have been looking into performance mods, but I need any specific info I can find on any complications that the "SULEV" setup may cause.

I am in WA state, in a county with no emissions testing, and I want passing power, not "SULEV" limitations. I drive a LOT of winding 2 lane roads, and the window of opportunity to legally and safely pass slow cars is usually very small, so I need the car to GO when I floor it.

I have read a lot of conflicting info on how the SULEV is tuned differently from a regular accord.

Here is what I think I know so far from research. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) There's a MAF sensor on the air intake on the SULEV that isn't present on normal models.

2) The catalytic converter is more restrictive for cleaner emissions.

3) VTEC is (possibly) neutered on the SULEV engines, but (possibly) only under 2500 RPMs. Is any of that true? If so, there's probably nothing I can do about it, except maybe an aftermarket ECU tuning mod...?

My plan so far based on what I think I know:
Bring in more air
TSX Intake Manifold and Throttle body (with P2R gaskets plus a coolant bypass)

CAI or SRI with a heatshield (So far, I have only found this K&N SRI that accepts the SULEV MAF sensor plug. Anyone know of others? 69-1209TS - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit )

Get exhaust out faster
High flow catalytic converter (Magnaflow, maybe. Suggestions for better options?) Also, the SULEV exhaust only has one cat, right?) I think this should be one of the first things I do, but will the O2 sensor start to throw a code with a high-flow cat?

Maybe headers after everything else has been done.

Lighten the load
Underdrive pulleys

So yea, basically the same stuff as on a normal accord, but I don't want surprises with MAF sensors, multiple cat-converters, O2 sensors, etc once the upgrade parade begins.

I've been doing a lot of searching and not coming up with a whole lot of substantive information, so any other info that you all can give is much appreciated.

Thanks,
MF

p.s. Please, for the love of cats and dogs, do not devolve this thread into "intakes suck and you suck for wanting one." :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have read a lot of conflicting info on how the SULEV is tuned differently from a regular accord.

Here is what I think I know so far from research. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) There's a MAF sensor on the air intake on the SULEV that isn't present on normal models.

2) The catalytic converter is more restrictive for cleaner emissions.

3) VTEC is (possibly) neutered on the SULEV engines, but (possibly) only under 2500 RPMs. Is any of that true? If so, there's probably nothing I can do about it, except maybe an aftermarket ECU tuning mod...?
SULEV cars are rated for the same output as the non-SULEV cars, +/- maybe 5 hp.

The VTEC in 4-cylinder Accords is already "neutered", as it's missing the large cam lobe and lacks VTEC on the exhaust side. This is called VTEC-E (E for economy). The TSX and Civic Si are among the cars which have K24 engines with real VTEC on both intake and exhaust cams. I don't believe SULEV vs LEV makes a big difference here.

IMO, if all you want is to bring your car up to the same power output as the non-SULEV cars, then I don't believe you need to do anything at all. The SULEV and LEV versions of the K24 should make around the same hp from the factory.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
IIRC - the SULEV has different part number for the spark plugs too ... if your that concerned about it why don't you hollow the cat and put on a defouler connector ? Remove your intake resonator, get a TSX intake manifold, and some TL-S sway bars (maybe a strut brace, and better tire rubber too) and call it a day mate.

Reactions: MindFork

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The VTEC in 4-cylinder Accords is already "neutered", as it's missing the large cam lobe and lacks VTEC on the exhaust side. This is called VTEC-E (E for economy). The TSX and Civic Si are among the cars which have K24 engines with real VTEC on both intake and exhaust cams. I don't believe SULEV vs LEV makes a big difference here.

IMO, if all you want is to bring your car up to the same power output as the non-SULEV cars, then I don't believe you need to do anything at all. The SULEV and LEV versions of the K24 should make around the same hp from the factory.
Thanks for that info. Now I understand why people at k20a.org are doing head swaps.

IIRC - the SULEV has different part number for the spark plugs too ... if your that concerned about it why don't you hollow the cat and put on a defouler connector ? Remove your intake resonator, get a TSX intake manifold, and some TL-S sway bars (maybe a strut brace, and better tire rubber too) and call it a day mate.
That sounds like a sensible plan. (My TL-S sways are due to arrive in a few days :) )

I didn't know about the different plugs, though! I put in a set of regular NGK ZFR6K11's, so hopefully that's good...?

why don't you hollow the cat and put on a defouler connector ?
Never crossed my mind. I'm going to search those things now and see if i can learn to do them :)

Question: Will a hollowed out cat cease to catalyze? If so, I'd probably rather do a high-flow cat.

Thanks,
MF

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Question: Will a hollowed out cat cease to catalyze? If so, I'd probably rather do a high-flow cat.
Yes - a hallow catalytic converter is pretty much a straight pipe at that point ... it's one of those "environment be damned" sort of things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes - a hallow catalytic converter is pretty much a straight pipe at that point ... it's one of those "environment be damned" sort of things.
I kind of like the environment and not smelling my own exhaust while idling, so a high-flow cat sounds like a better choice. On this page, it has two cat options, one with federal emissions, one with CA emissions that is $130 more. Catalytic Converter - Top Rated!

That indicates to me that the CA / SULEV emission cat has more baffling, therefore more restriction. I know that's a bit of a leap, but some other info I came across says the cat on the SULEV model is more restrictive than on regular models.

I've read some bad things about aftermarket cats along with some good things. Hard to know what's accurate, and I'm still researching for the best brand(s). I'll keep my old one, just in case.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
^ yeah - I'm not endorsing hollowing out your cat ... just throwing it out there as an option ... no one enjoys sucking back blue clouds of tailpipe garbage in gridlock.

Like diesel bro-trucks ... I hate ALL bro-trucks ...

Reactions: MindFork

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
Sell car, get faster car. V6 Accord?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts