Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2010 2.4EX
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unequal Tire Pressure - Trick Question:

My car's Tire & Load placard specifies 32psi cold, front & rear.

Scenario: If I add 2psi to both left-side tires, and remove 2psi from both right-side tires, which way will my car drift or pull?

The lefts now have 34psi, cold pressure, in them, and the rights: 30psi.

·
Turbo lag
1,050 Posts
The right side?

Reactions: mtts60

·
2010 2.4EX
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, since this thread doesn't seem to be gaining traction - pun, pun! - here's my theory:

The car, up to a certain point, will not pull either way!

The side with the lower pressures will have slightly higher rolling resistance, but - it will be overcome by an also slightly shorter turning radius(between contact point and hub) on the side with lower pressured tires.

So the tires on the side with lower pressures will spin slightly faster, offsetting any drag on that side.

However, once the difference becomes obviously greater, like 5psi or more, then a pull could become apparent, due to excessive tread and sidewall resistence.

But if your rights are both 1-2psi lower pressure than your lefts, you might not even notice.

That is just my theory.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm guessing it will be balanced as long as you drive without passengers. The driver's side will be slightly heavier with you alone plus the transmission is located more towards the driver's side as well.

·
Rollin in FL
1,144 Posts
Well, since this thread doesn't seem to be gaining traction - pun, pun! - here's my theory:

The car, up to a certain point, will not pull either way!

The side with the lower pressures will have slightly higher rolling resistance, but - it will be overcome by an also slightly shorter turning radius(between contact point and hub) on the side with lower pressured tires.

So the tires on the side with lower pressures will spin slightly faster, offsetting any drag on that side.

However, once the difference becomes obviously greater, like 5psi or more, then a pull could become apparent, due to excessive tread and sidewall resistence.

But if your rights are both 1-2psi lower pressure than your lefts, you might not even notice.

That is just my theory.
You'd actually notice your vehicle to vibrate/shake due to the significant difference in tire PSI.

·
Rollin in FL
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
243 Posts
I had a POS 1985 Ford F150 a bunch of years ago. I took it to a crap garage/shop to fix an alignment problem, "slight/medium" pulling to the right. Got it back and it tracked straight. Fast forward a few months and I figured out how they did it - they pumped up the right front tire to about 55 psi to compensate for the pull (I had kept all my pressures at about 35 or 36 psi). This was before Yelp but after the discovery of chicken eggs...

·
2010 2.4EX
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
IICR it was pulling slightly towards the side with the higher PSI.
So you're saying your vehicle pulled to the side with higher tire pressures. 😮

go. I took it to a crap garage/shop to fix an alignment problem, "slight/medium"
pulling to the right. Got it back and it tracked straight. Fast forward a few
months and I figured out how they did it - they pumped up the right front tire
to about 55 psi to compensate for the pull
And you're saying higher tire pressure on one side reduced pull to that side.

I'm sticking with my theory from post #5.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
243 Posts
If you really wanted to know how it would affect your car, it wouldn't be all that difficult to find out...

·
2010 2.4EX
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you really wanted to know how it would affect your car,
it wouldn't be all that difficult to find out...
My particular Accord would not be the best test bed: both front wheels lean to the left!

Front left camber positive, but in spec, Front right camber negative, also in spec. Just enough to induce highway left drift.

Reducing RH tire cold tire pressures half-psi actually amplified this leftward tendency, so I reset all four tires to precisely the same cold pressure, to the tenth-psi with my digital DIYCO gauge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts