Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I know that perfect 50/50 weight balance on a car is a good way to start for great handling.

Since I got the V6, which is probably worse then the I4, the weight balance is of course shifted in front by a lot.

I installed H-tech springs which dropped the car 1.4''f and 0.7''r. Now the gap in front and rear are the same, which looks very hot!!

BUT, I'm thinking the car has more understeer and the front looks way heavier then before... Before changing the springs I made the TL17mm RSB and it made a very good difference removing the understeer. But then I dropped the car to above measures, and even though i feel better cornering over all, the front feels WAY heavier.

Does dropping the car more in front then the rear, thus probably changing the geometry, shift the weight balance further more in the front??

Thank you very much.
I think my next car will be a RWD with a good weight balance. Are we not very limited in handling with our accords??

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Did you use i4 springs on a V6? If so, that may cause problems down the road with spring rates and stuff. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I bought V6 Htech springs.

I read that you can change the weight balance by dropping and raising the F and R of the car.

When i dropped 1.4 and 0.7, i did put more weight in the front like i felt... I really dont like that, as the front was already WAY heavier :(

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
The answers to your questions are a good exercise in education. But let's step back and look at what you really want the car to do.

RWD is overrated. A 50-50 BMW M3 does not do me any good because I'm not a good driver at the auto X. My time would not be much better than a Honda Fit (maybe worst). Yes, FWD have some limitations, but does it matter? Does it matter to you, and what you will want your car to do?

Look at what guys are able to do with cars like the GTI, which almost have all it's weight up front. There is no weakness.

The only weakness is the driver.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I'm sure that mathematically you could prove that lowering the front a tiny bit more than rear will angle the car forward and shift some weight from the back wheels to front wheels. I'd wager it is extremely minimal, much less than 1%. In the past, when passengers rode in your back seat, did the steering change any? (Four hundred pounds in your back seat or trunk will shift the weight distribution from 63% front and 37% back to about 56% front and 43% back.) I realize that is going in the opposite direction, but still represents a very large change in weight distribution.

If your front end feels heavier now, it is probably because the stiffer springs limit vertical travel, which in turn changes the steering feel. It is also possible your alignment is different now, which could change the steering feel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a handling maniac, as I used to do trackdays with my now gone R1, and beat the hell out of it in corners.

I hate to have a car that is slow in corners. I can deal with the heavy FWD car we have but I cant do much to make it handle better, really.

I would not say the difference in weight balance after dropping the front is really that low, but who knows.

Having a full tank of gaz and a trunk full really does make a difference in the way I have to handle corners, there are things I can feel, just like i could feel a 2psi difference in my tires at the track with the R1. This is one I can actually feel.

Maybe it is just me that thinks that the heavier the car is, the more important it is to have a good weight balance. The crown vic police interceptors, despite their unbelievable heavy weight, can still manage corners very well...

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
What about changing the front bar?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont think its really worth it... I would have to change the rear again to 20mm and from what i heard the car wants to understeer more with the TL-S setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts