Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced unexpected acceleration with their Accord? My beautiful, bought brand new 2016 Honda Accord EX with 9500 miles, last month decided to rev up her engine and plunge forward, picking up speed, as I was turning right, slowly, into a parking spot with my foot on the brake. She wasn't stopping, I had both feet on the brake by then, she drove up over the curb, crumpled a steel bike rack and hit the brick building, digging a hole. Front end smashed In My airbag deployed. I had air bag burns and internal bruising. Car was towed to body shop, I called American Honda because this was not my fault. They sent a Honda representative to examine the car, could find nothing wrong, and refused to accept any responsibility. $10,000 in repairs, left with a one year old Accord that has been wrecked and is dangerous to drive. Is now sitting in my garage. Useless. A miracle that no one was walking in front of my car, they would have been killed. Just wondering if this problem has shown up in your Accords.

·
6th Gear
528 Posts
Forgive me, but I'm a little suspicious of this post. There exists no apparent history with this DA poster, being the first.

A little more detail, some damage pics, some paperwork scans, would help us (and perhaps you). I have not heard of UA with an Accord.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
You are claiming that the brakes failed too? So as you were unintentionally accelerating, the brakes failed to work? Why is a wrecked car sitting in your garage? Don't you have insurance on that new Accord? I would be dubious of a repair estimate that was exactly $10,000. Can you please post the repair estimate or final bill? Also, pictures and perhaps the police report, please!

Thanks!

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
If the scenario occurred as written here in detail, and the brake WAS being used to brake the car, it would be virtually impossible for this to happen as designed.

If the OP provides the pictures and proof of this occurrence I will recant my statement and apologize profusely.

If and when the car accelerates due to greater quantities of gas being injected into the cylinders (UA scenario) and the brake pedal is concurrently pressed, the ECU will give precedence to the brakes. Meaning: The ECU will literally SHUT OFF the supply of fuel allowing the car engine and thus the transmission to stop with propulsion. RPM will drop to idle or below to accomplish this.

It is called Brake-override and has been in all Honda's and Acura's since 2011. This is evident for some folks who are left foot brakers since the left foot on the brake signals the fuel to shut off and they have found the power drop as they make a turn or whatever maneuver.

Glad to hear you are OK and able to write this post. We are concerned and eager to hear back from you as this would be a MAJOR boo-boo on Honda.

Your next step, if you haven't already, is to contact NHTSA and complain. Have you? Do you have a claim number ?

Have you done any mods to the car which might have interfered with the brakes and/or the lights or fuel system?

·
Registered
363 Posts
You definitely need to file a claim with NHTSA if you're in the USA. If your statement is true, this is a very serious issue and needs to be reported immediately. Also your insurance company should also be making a claim against Honda. Your insurance won't want to pay out claims if it's a manufacturing defect.

I wouldn't trust a Honda representative to tell me there's nothing wrong with my vehicle after this happened. I would report to NHTSA and find a good lawyer.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
OP could provide pictures....

Anyhow, this was an issue with early 9th gens with a CVT. Sudden acceleration was common if you do some research.

·
Registered
846 Posts
His "story" might be true accept he left out the part where he got confused and hit the gas instead of the brake while too close to the building.

We all watch this on the news where 85 year-old drivers plow into a building because confusion with pedals. Let's all give him the benefit of the doubt until he provides pics or admits a BS story.

OP, we all hope you're OK. Property can always be replaced.

Reactions: meowcat

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,507 Posts
Her "story" might be true except she left out the part where she got confused and hit the gas instead of the brake while too close to the building.

We all watch this on the news where 52 year-old female drivers plow into a building because confusion with pedals. Let's all give her the benefit of the doubt until she provides pics or admits a BS story.
Fixed for accuracy.

:deal: :paranoid:

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nice find namegoeshere. I'll Google any news stories in Kentucky about this incident and get back to you guys. Lol.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I know if had actually happened to me, as written, the last thing I would be doing is posting about it on an Internet forum. I would be keeping my mouth shut and letting my lawyer do the talking to Honda, the NHTSA, NTSB, the police, insurance and anybody else in the loop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While on track I had the throttle stick wide open at ~100mph going into a braking zone. It was a non-event - it took about 10 extra feet to get the car slowed down and this was with fairly well-cooked brakes. Brakes always win that fight.

The wrong pedal always wins, too. I've confused pedals, oddly the brake and clutch due to left-foot braking, and just about went through the windshield trying to upshift.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Not even possible on a 2016 model.

Honda-Acura

Honda announced two years ago that it was committed to applying “Brake Priority Logic” on 100 percent of all Honda and Acura passenger vehicles with automatic transmissions, with the first application coming to market in August of 2010. The vehicle was the all-new hybrid-only subcompact car, the 2011 Honda CR-Z. For the remainder of the 2011 model year, about half of Honda and Acura vehicles had the system. For 2012, the system, which Honda now calls Brake/Throttle Override, is on all Honda and Acura vehicles.

How the system works is explained to buyers in Honda and Acura vehicle owner’s manuals, but here’s a brief summary. The Brake/Throttle Override function applied to Honda and Acura models monitors the electronic throttle control (accelerator pedal) output signal. If that signal becomes static (meaning stuck) AND then the brake pedal is applied, after 0.1 seconds the throttle will be gradually reduced to near idle level over the course of about one-half second.

Ed Miller, Honda spokesman, tells The Car Connection that Honda chose to have a less abrupt throttle system than some other systems in the market. “The one-half second is quite noticeable to the driver, but we judge it to be less unsettling, so the driver can recognize the vehicle is slowing down due to reduction of engine power, but does not confuse the condition with a stalled engine,” said Miller.

Brake/Throttle Override is not applied to vehicles with manual transmissions because Honda believes that clutch is sufficient to allow the driver to decouple the engine power from the driven wheels.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Oh yea Mr. Smarty Pants what about in Terminator 3- Rise of the Machines when Skynet's lady terminator took over all those cars and trucks and the Lexus to try and kill John Conner?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Thanks for the laughs OP. I'm sure you're getting a kick out of these replies from your very first post.

I had a problem with premature evacuation when the tire bead wasn't sealed to rim but that's a "whole nother" (should be another whole, no such word as nother) discussion.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts