Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife went to leave for work this morning, the car started fine but the tire light was on (not unexpected due to it being 47 degrees this morning, lowest temp this year). She backed out of the drive and took off down the street with no issues. After stopping at a stop sign then taking off the FCW FAILURE light began flashing in the center of the dash and the car wouldn't accelerate.
The LDW light is on, the check engine light is on, the light for steering is on. She was able to turn around and get it back to the house, only about 5 houses down. She turned the car off and woke up you know who.
I restarted it, all the lights are still on but the car drives normal now.
Guess who will be first in line at the dealership this morning?
First issue we have had with this car.
16,XXX miles, MM at 90% after 2nd oil change, tires maintained properly.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Well that sounds strange. I'm curious to hear the dealers reaction. At first I thought maybe a giant dead bug was in front of the camera on the windshield? Something that would block the camera and cause it to tweek out.

On the other hand, if you have the radar version, I wonder how it would react to a radar/laser jammer? I used to install them at a pro audio shop a while back. There are not many people with them out there but if you pass the right car it might affect sensors. I'm really not sure.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I foresee the following expert diagnosis by the dealer: "Could not replicate."

The words I despise the most when I am at a dealer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I foresee the following expert diagnosis by the dealer: "Could not replicate."

The words I despise the most when I am at a dealer.

Having worked in the biz for 12 yrs, I've said it myself a time or two. Hopefully the lights still being on will give them something, a stored code or something.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Do our accords actually cut the acceleration when the FCW system goes off? Are there different levels of imminent crash potential? I don't think it activates the break like some cars do does it? Of course I do not have the guts to accelerate at something standing still to find out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do our accords actually cut the acceleration when the FCW system goes off? Are there different levels of imminent crash potential? I don't think it activates the break like some cars do does it? Of course I do not have the guts to accelerate at something standing still to find out.
The American versions at least, do not brake with the FCW system. It's a warning only. I've had mine go off a few dozen times. I have the distance set to maximum. I get a lot of false alarms when changing lanes while coming up on a car.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I get false alarms all the time from the system, especially in hilly or curvy roads.

As far as the OP, have the vehicle towed DO NOT DRIVE it to the dealer with the PS light on. It could signify a failure in the system, which is not safe. I'm curious as to what's wrong with it. With the check engine light, there is definitely a code. I'm sure the others probably set off codes too. Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arrived at the dealer with no issues (sorry Obsidian, had I seen your post I may have had it towed). The check engine light and tire light were on when I got there.
After about an hour the service advisor came out to tell me.... wait for it.....(****, you listening...) "we couldn't find anything wrong...and the check engine light was off when the tech got the car..."?!?!?! The advisor witnessed the light on when I arrived.
I restated the entire mornings events to the advisor and she went back out to the shop.
Another hour passed and she said that they had found something.
A code P2176 THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL SYSTEM IDLE POSITION NOT LEARNED
She said at this point they will attempt a reprogramming of this part/system??! Not sure really. And that they will keep the car for a few days to put some miles on it to ensure the issue is resolved.
I was given a new Ridgeline to drive. So we shall see....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same thing happened to me. They just said the computer freaked out. This is after I took it to the second dealer. First one said I had oil or diesel in my gas and wanted to charge me to clean the entire fuel system in as like uhhhh no.. Took it to a different one and they saw the stored code and said could tv ind anything wrong with it and there was nothing wring with and the ecu just freaked out. Mine happened on a really hot day in Houston though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same thing happened to me. They just said the computer freaked out. This is after I took it to the second dealer. First one said I had oil or diesel in my gas and wanted to charge me to clean the entire fuel system in as like uhhhh no.. Took it to a different one and they saw the stored code and said could tv ind anything wrong with it and there was nothing wring with and the ecu just freaked out. Mine happened on a really hot day in Houston though.
and this happened on a really cold day in Houston :banana:

·
Registered
588 Posts
The American versions at least, do not brake with the FCW system. It's a warning only. I've had mine go off a few dozen times. I have the distance set to maximum. I get a lot of false alarms when changing lanes while coming up on a car.
My Touring does brake on its own when FCW goes off and very aggressively. I think drivers behind me feel very frustrated. :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My Touring does brake on its own when FCW goes off and very aggressively. I think drivers behind me feel very frustrated. :(
US Accords do not have CMBS. FCW is a warning only; no braking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"FCW does not include a braking function." Straight from automobiles.honda.com

·
Registered
514 Posts
US Accords do not have CMBS. FCW is a warning only; no braking.
Well, he may mean with Adaptive Cruise Control enabled. They brake with ACC when engine braking is not enough to slow the car. Mine often indicates FCW at the same time. They brake until reaching the speed control cutout speed, then release the brakes.

Accords without ACC do not brake during FCW, as far as I know, as you correctly indicated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
"FCW does not include a braking function." Straight from automobiles.honda.com
Yes, this happens when ACC is ON. I think only touring model can do braking.
Here is the video how it works:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
a bug on the windshield would display a message of 'clean glass'

we've seen a few of these but again it fixes itself usually with no stored codes.

it's possibly related to a wiring short in the harness behind the air bag in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well, he may mean with Adaptive Cruise Control enabled. They brake with ACC when engine braking is not enough to slow the car. Mine often indicates FCW at the same time. They brake until reaching the speed control cutout speed, then release the brakes.

Accords without ACC do not brake during FCW, as far as I know, as you correctly indicated.
Yes, this is a function of ACC -- not FCW.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a call late yesterday say the dealer had done the reprogramming/relearn of the throttle body and had driven the car with no issues. All codes have been cleared and things seem normal.
They wanted to keep it again last night and drive it today some more to make sure. We will be picking it up late today.
Hope it's fixed and fixed correctly.

·
Tampa FL
373 Posts
The wife went to leave for work this morning, the car started fine but the tire light was on (not unexpected due to it being 47 degrees this morning, lowest temp this year). She backed out of the drive and took off down the street with no issues. After stopping at a stop sign then taking off the FCW FAILURE light began flashing in the center of the dash and the car wouldn't accelerate.
The LDW light is on, the check engine light is on, the light for steering is on. She was able to turn around and get it back to the house, only about 5 houses down. She turned the car off and woke up you know who.
I restarted it, all the lights are still on but the car drives normal now.
Guess who will be first in line at the dealership this morning?
First issue we have had with this car.
16,XXX miles, MM at 90% after 2nd oil change, tires maintained properly.
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, my dash looked like a christmass tree; although, my car worked normally; when I took my car to the dealer, all the lights were still on; when they turned it off and on again, they were gone; has not happened since.

The only difference was that when I turned the car on the Econ button was on; when they did, I had turned it off; ergo, I am no longer using the decon button, JIC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts