Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
2020 best year
4,153 Posts
Upgraded high beams to 55w hid kit, 5000k.

WAY more output than drop-in LEDs.
One must wonder how you flash your high beams.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Accord, Panigale, Stryker
6 Posts
One may.. I however am wondering if you’ve ever owned a car with HIDs... Because it’s no different than the way you flash any other high beam. Factory HIDs are built of the same necessary components, merely packaged differently.

·
2020 best year
4,153 Posts
One may.. I however am wondering if you’ve ever owned a car with HIDs... Because it’s no different than the way you flash any other high beam. Factory HIDs are built of the same necessary components, merely packaged differently.
My RX-8 GT has OEM HID low beams(D2S) and halogen high beams(H9), so there you go.

It's fairly noticeable that, every time I turn on the low beams, it takes a couple of seconds for the brightness and colour to stabilize.

The high beams are H9 halogen bulbs. Not as instantaneous as LEDs, but still a lot quicker and more responsive than HIDs.

If you want to talk about BMW's Bi-Xenon setup, that's a different story. It basically involves a mobile shield in the projector that can be moved quickly by a motor to change the cutoff, so when you flash your high beams, you are not controlling the current to the bulbs. You are controlling the shield.

AFAIK there is no OEM HID high-beam application that's not Bi-Xenon, simply because it just takes too long for HID bulbs to ignite to full brightness.

And then there is this that I am just going to quote this from another thread written by someone more knowledgeable:

Halogen bulbs produce very little UV rays. Arc lamps produce a lot of UV rays. Good quality OEM HID arc lamp capsules like those made by Philips and Osram use high quality glass that blocks a good portion of this UV radiation, but these good quality bulb capsules are only mounted in bases designed for discharge lamps like a D2S base. They are never mounted in bases designed for halogen lamps like an H11 or a 9006 base. Therefore any HID bulb that will fit a halogen projector will use an aftermarket bulb capsule that is generally always much poorer quality than those used in OEM applications. The poor quality capsules allow a ton of the arc's UV radiation pass through. Reflectors designed for use with discharge lamps have a protective coating that helps prevent the UV radiation from tarnishing and burning the electroplated aluminum used to make the reflector highly reflective. Reflectors designed for halogen lamps do not have this coating. Therefore when you use a poor quality discharge lamp with poor UV control in a reflector that is not protected against UV radiation you will end up with a burnt reflector rather quickly. The only way to fix this is to buy a new headlight altogether.

·
Accord, Panigale, Stryker
6 Posts
I shot a little video to show the responsiveness. As for burning the reflectors, 2 vehicles with a cumulative 160k miles and no burned reflectors. Never even heard of such a problem among other owners or forums. Excluding my Panigale, my last four street bikes had HIDs too, no burned reflectors. My last e93 BMW has HIDs in the carina rings and no issues; no reflectors but still, no issues. It’s a specific and technically written excerpt, but really? Does anyone on here know anyone this has ever happened to? E9X board, Fireblade board, Panigale board, A5 Owners club, numerous other German auto forums, my350z, etc and this is the first I’ve ever heard of it. Interesting none the less. I’ll keep my ear to the grindstone, thanks.

I’ve only owned bi-xenon setups, the oldest being my current 2007 350zr. Some cars do lag more than others, I know what you mean. No issues on this set though and even if there were, it is a flashing light for the sake of signaling if one must flash their highs. Even if it isn’t as white as the rated 6000k or the maximum lumen output. Seems like complaining for the sake of finding something to complain about.

My RX-8 GT has OEM HID low beams(D2S) and halogen high beams(H9), so there you go.

It's fairly noticeable that, every time I turn on the low beams, it takes a couple of seconds for the brightness and colour to stabilize.

The high beams are H9 halogen bulbs. Not as instantaneous as LEDs, but still a lot quicker and more responsive than HIDs.

If you want to talk about BMW's Bi-Xenon setup, that's a different story. It basically involves a mobile shield in the projector that can be moved quickly by a motor to change the cutoff, so when you flash your high beams, you are not controlling the current to the bulbs. You are controlling the shield.

AFAIK there is no OEM HID high-beam application that's not Bi-Xenon, simply because it just takes too long for HID bulbs to ignite to full brightness.

And then there is this that I am just going to quote this from another thread written by someone more knowledgeable:

Halogen bulbs produce very little UV rays. Arc lamps produce a lot of UV rays. Good quality OEM HID arc lamp capsules like those made by Philips and Osram use high quality glass that blocks a good portion of this UV radiation, but these good quality bulb capsules are only mounted in bases designed for discharge lamps like a D2S base. They are never mounted in bases designed for halogen lamps like an H11 or a 9006 base. Therefore any HID bulb that will fit a halogen projector will use an aftermarket bulb capsule that is generally always much poorer quality than those used in OEM applications. The poor quality capsules allow a ton of the arc's UV radiation pass through. Reflectors designed for use with discharge lamps have a protective coating that helps prevent the UV radiation from tarnishing and burning the electroplated aluminum used to make the reflector highly reflective. Reflectors designed for halogen lamps do not have this coating. Therefore when you use a poor quality discharge lamp with poor UV control in a reflector that is not protected against UV radiation you will end up with a burnt reflector rather quickly. The only way to fix this is to buy a new headlight altogether.

·
2020 best year
4,153 Posts
I shot a little video to show the responsiveness. As for burning the reflectors, 2 vehicles with a cumulative 160k miles and no burned reflectors. Never even heard of such a problem among other owners or forums. Excluding my Panigale, my last four street bikes had HIDs too, no burned reflectors. My last e93 BMW has HIDs in the carina rings and no issues; no reflectors but still, no issues. It’s a specific and technically written excerpt, but really? Does anyone on here know anyone this has ever happened to? E9X board, Fireblade board, Panigale board, A5 Owners club, numerous other German auto forums, my350z, etc and this is the first I’ve ever heard of it. Interesting none the less. I’ll keep my ear to the grindstone, thanks.

I’ve only owned bi-xenon setups, the oldest being my current 2007 350zr. Some cars do lag more than others, I know what you mean. No issues on this set though and even if there were, it is a flashing light for the sake of signaling if one must flash their highs. Even if it isn’t as white as the rated 6000k or the maximum lumen output. Seems like complaining for the sake of finding something to complain about.
Fair enough. What I have is largely theory. Maybe if I look hard I can find more evidence, but oh well.

·
The Newb
8 Posts
So today I installed the LED High beams ... It was very easy to do .... I took some pics along the way to show the steps ... The passenger side is the only steps Ill post since the diver side is easily accessible. Ill see how the look at night and update later

LED - LASFIT 9005/HB3 LED High Beam Headlight Bulbs Kit ----
Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I ordered the same set and just installed. The steps helped, but I did need to take the windshield washer funnel thing out before the bigger reservoir. Opposite of the order you did.

Also another thing to note, please be careful when putting the LED into the housing, the bulb has 3 tabs to twist into the housing. I initially installed it with only two inserted. But after a quick check, I noticed the bottom one wasn’t in. This could’ve ruined the housing if moisture got in, it’d be a hard thing to fix.

The total install took about 5 minutes and I rate it as 2/10 on difficulty.

Side question, does anyone know what that bigger reservoir you remove holds? What liquid is that?

Edit: another note. These LED bulbs have a plug marked with +/- however the Honda plug isn’t marked. Just keep in mind black wire is always negative. Other wire could be white or purple. But match black with negative.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I ordered the same set and just installed. The steps helped, but I did need to take the windshield washer funnel thing out before the bigger reservoir. Opposite of the order you did.

Also another thing to note, please be careful when putting the LED into the housing, the bulb has 3 tabs to twist into the housing. I initially installed it with only two inserted. But after a quick check, I noticed the bottom one wasn’t in. This could’ve ruined the housing if moisture got in, it’d be a hard thing to fix.

The total install took about 5 minutes and I rate it as 2/10 on difficulty.

Side question, does anyone know what that bigger reservoir you remove holds? What liquid is that?

Edit: another note. These LED bulbs have a plug marked with +/- however the Honda plug isn’t marked. Just keep in mind black wire is always negative. Other wire could be white or purple. But match black with negative.
Antifreeze reserve and overflow.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Is no one worried about the fans being exposed to the elements? I havent bought my accord yet but getting all the links n mods listed away.

I had a pair of LEDs headlights with a fan like this on my truck BUT the plugins for truck had these caps that enclosed where the bulbs/connectors are. It doesnt appear the accord has that cap so essentially the fan of the headlight is just out/exposed to whatever moositure sand dirt etc may get under the hood

Or am i wrong?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Upgraded high beams to 55w hid kit, 5000k.

WAY more output than drop-in LEDs.
I put HID’s on my last car (Altima) and they looked nice until the units rusted out ... I replaced them twice. The connections rusted out even with the rubber boots. They were also a pain to install ... These LED or others are the way to go ? If you do a side by side I’m sure they are very similar.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I put these in last night. Will see how they do at night, the color match to the low beam is perfect though. If im not satisfied with these then i will just put the money put for an hid.

Anyone use hid in a reflector headlight before? Ive only used em in projector housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did you install the standard Lasfit or the LS version?
I got the set OP posted with the Philips chips (standard?)

I had no idea of that LS set, I actually may go back n get those since they are supposedly brighter.

I had planned on getting night shots last night but it will have to wait until tonight

·
Registered
437 Posts
Alright guys got some time to text these out and took some night shots. I really wanted to get it done friday night when i was in a rural area but couldnt get the chance. Back in a residential area last night but found a few spots to take pics.

Tonight ill be home where there are some areas of flat open land and will get some more pics.

Initial inpression, these are actually pretty dang good. The throw wasmt scattered like I expected from an LED in reflector housing. Definitely bright enough to handle the duties of a high beam, and no issues if you live in deer country. I have a video from last night and i'll include it later tonight with the next post.

This is with my GS8+ and the camera settings on auto, so it did brighten to the output a bit but as i said before to the human eye theyre definitely bright enough and throw good light.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts